Quantcast

GT Fury catastrophic failure

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I heard on the BikeMag podcast that this was a specially lightened frame for World Champs, not a production frame. This is why you didn't see the Athertons on their Worlds bikes at Hafjell. One and done. My guess is we won't be seeing the Atherton Worlds bikes on eBay like last year.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I heard on the BikeMag podcast that this was a specially lightened frame for World Champs, not a production frame. This is why you didn't see the Athertons on their Worlds bikes at Hafjell. One and done. My guess is we won't be seeing the Atherton Worlds bikes on eBay like last year.
I think Lorenzo stated that on his fb but doesn't the frame have the same coulour sheme as one of the production models? Why make a prototype with special light tubing and then not giving it a special colour design?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
All nonsense about the bike aside, HO LEE FUK that was a BRUTAL crash!!!!! How do you not just die from that????

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think the thread title is a bit misleading. You can't blame the bike for dying on a case like that.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Remember the original Fury wasn't particularly light but was crazy strong, made of thick carbon? With the new model GT's line is they stuck with alloy cuz they couldn't make it any lighter with carbon (that's probably marketing speak for, "We don't have a carbon model ready yet but will in the future, remember what SC said about carbon swingarms when they released the V10.4?). Well, maybe making a carbon weight alloy bike isn't as safe as making an alloy weight carbon bike. Remember a couple years ago when people were scared of carbon? Now I fully trust carbon but suspect any competitive weight alloy frame.

P.S. In that TeamRobot article he mentions a Pinkbike feature showing lots of popular vrames with the headtube ripped off. I can't find it, anyone got a link.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I heard on the BikeMag podcast that this was a specially lightened frame for World Champs, not a production frame.
I call horsesh!t on that claim.
I highly doubt GT will be making a special one-off for a - let's face it - no name rider.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If you consider Lorenzo Suding a no-name rider then you aren't a very astute fan of WC racing. He's pretty consistently in the top 20 and I'd wager that's far better than most of the riders in your national series - unless your a Brit of course ;)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Remember the original Fury wasn't particularly light but was crazy strong, made of thick carbon? With the new model GT's line is they stuck with alloy cuz they couldn't make it any lighter with carbon (that's probably marketing speak for, "We don't have a carbon model ready yet but will in the future, remember what SC said about carbon swingarms when they released the V10.4?). Well, maybe making a carbon weight alloy bike isn't as safe as making an alloy weight carbon bike. Remember a couple years ago when people were scared of carbon? Now I fully trust carbon but suspect any competitive weight alloy frame.

P.S. In that TeamRobot article he mentions a Pinkbike feature showing lots of popular vrames with the headtube ripped off. I can't find it, anyone got a link.
Pretty sure they did not say that. I think the message was they made it in alu first to get the bike the way they want and then a carbon version later or something a long the line.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
If you consider Lorenzo Suding a no-name rider then you aren't a very astute fan of WC racing. He's pretty consistently in the top 20 and I'd wager that's far better than most of the riders in your national series - unless your a Brit of course ;)
I don't dispute his abilities, I just don't see GT making a one-off for a top 20 ish rider, for a race where only the top spot matters.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
40-50ft at world cup pace to 50-50ing the knuckle isnt rough???? **** man, where do you ride?
Horizontal distance isn't really a factor in how much force the frame saw, the majority of the force comes from amount of vertical drop. And if that was WC pace, he needed to go faster... ;)

Last edited: