Quantcast

gt ruckus uf

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
if you go with the gt ruckus dj bike, definitely go with steel. a buddy of mine cracked his aluminum ruckus DJ frame badly on both the top and down tubes. this guy prides himself on being easy on parts...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
if you go with the gt ruckus dj bike, definitely go with steel. a buddy of mine cracked his aluminum ruckus DJ frame badly on both the top and down tubes. this guy prides himself on being easy on parts...
Worst overgeneralization ever.

That bike looks pretty dope, but that thing looks slack! Is it just me?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
OK, about the ruckus alu.

My bud was DJ-ing when it broke. We rode together nearly everyday since the guy bought the bike and I never saw him case and he rarely overshot anything. he is a smooth rider.

As for the cracks and the frame, one crack started at the bottom gusset on the downtube and the other at the top gusset on the top tube. This location can be an ideal for a gusseted frame to crack. Certain frames with butted tubing that changes thickness very close to the end of the gusseting are playing with fire. When the gusseting ends and the thickness decreases in very close proximity to each other there will be a large drop in cross sectional area and large jump in stress. (If you dont know what the engineering definition of stress is, this would be a good time to go look it up.) Combining these geometrical conditions with an HAZ (and possibly a sub-perfect post weld HT) and a sharp radius from the gusset makes the likelihood of cracking much higher.

I havent sectioned the ruckus yet to see if the butting ending in the same area that the gusseting did, but maybe I will. I'd be willing to put some cash on what the cause of failure was though.

As for 'overgeneralization,' huh? Perhaps I was jumping to conclusions based on a single anecdotal experience, but generalizing? no.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generalization

however, if you wanna a really light DJ frame, take a look at the alu ruckus. its your neck...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Worst overgeneralization ever.

That bike looks pretty dope, but that thing looks slack! Is it just me?
The aluminum Ruckus and Chuckers look like (and are) absolute piles of crap. I've built up many of them, and wouldn't DJ on them if you paid me to. I think they're both Chinese made (NOT Taiwanese...big difference).

Steel looks nice. We'll see.