Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I’m on my 3rd set of Next cranks. They’re fine, and I’ve had good warranty coverage, but my riding style doesn’t agree with carbon cranks.
If I get another warranty set, I’ll Pinkbike ‘em and shift over to XT.
I have the SixC crabon cranks. I ride 29ers with 27.5 wheels, and am a talentless hack therefore my cranks get a beating. The SixC are like new, not a single issue, I am sure they will survive the upcoming nuclear holocaust as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’m on my 3rd set of Next cranks. They’re fine, and I’ve had good warranty coverage, but my riding style doesn’t agree with carbon cranks.
If I get another warranty set, I’ll Pinkbike ‘em and shift over to XT.
Well there's your problem right there.

It's not the carbon...it's the Race Face.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I have the SixC crabon cranks. I ride 29ers with 27.5 wheels, and am a talentless hack therefore my cranks get a beating. The SixC are like new, not a single issue, I am sure they will survive the upcoming nuclear holocaust as well.
Buddy of mine is on his third set in 12 months. And he is a pretty smooth rider.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because of rock impacts?
Next cranks break just riding along. Broke my fat-bike ones and that bike rides on fucking snow. Broke my XC ones. Broke another arm and just ran around with an XX1 on one side and a Next SL on the other. I have one bike left with them and I'm sure that will give up soon and I'll put SRAM on. XX1 and X01 can actually take a beating IME and I've beat them to hell and back. The critical difference is that your pedal imparts a massive amount of force into the cranks and RF's inserts just glue-into the carbon. It's a recipe for disaster. SRAM uses a metal skeleton that runs the length of the cranks that both the inserts and spindle mounts are mounted on. That is at least reasonable for something that takes the kind of hits that cranks do.

IME, lots of bike companies rushed to put Next cranks on all sorts of bikes, to make them seem lighter than their competitors or just trim weight in general. Even though they are so fragile they don't belong on any bike, they made it to all sorts of ridiculous stuff in the trail, AM and enduro categories too for a few years.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was beating the shit out of my cranks on the new bike when I first got it. All went away once I got the suspension dialed in. Low speed compression ain't just for pedaling efficiency.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
It’s all about the “XTR level” m9000 cranks from Europe, within a couple grams of SRAM Carbonz, but made of Aluminum and cheap if you can get them from Europe. I was all hung-ho on EEwings to try and make my bike as slave labor free as possible and metal cranks are always better than non metal ones, but it turns out they’re still made in China and $1000 as it turns out is a lot of money, so I went with the XTRish jobbies for less than what I could get XT for. If I could get them for $500 I i might be back onboard with EEwings.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
...SRAM uses a metal skeleton that runs the length of the cranks that both the inserts and spindle mounts are mounted on. That is at least reasonable for something that takes the kind of hits that cranks do...
You might as well run a set of metal cranks then, not that I'm disagreeing with your assessment.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It’s all about the “XTR level” m9000 cranks from Europe, within a couple grams of SRAM Carbonz, but made of Aluminum and cheap if you can get them from Europe. I was all hung-ho on EEwings to try and make my bike as slave labor free as possible and metal cranks are always better than non metal ones, but it turns out they’re still made in China and $1000 as it turns out is a lot of money, so I went with the XTRish jobbies for less than what I could get XT for. If I could get them for $500 I i might be back onboard with EEwings.
I got the new XTR cranks from Italy for $299 shipped. (Last winter, though)

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
merlin cycles seems to be willing to ship to the US still. They say "no" on SRAM, but not on shimano. Meanwhile starbike says no on Shimano, but their pricing wasn't great on SRAM anyways.

I run SLX cranks on my MTB as they are virtually identical to XTs but look WAY better in my opinion. Machined edges and flat black arms vs. glossy black and an affinity for heel rub. There might be some weird subtle difference but usually at this level it's all in the rings, and who buys shimano rings except for roadies.

I just scooped up some easton cranks for my roadie build and now you guys are making me nervous...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If they work for you, good for you. My experience is unrideabru.

I see hefty chunks of aerospace grade Ti machined by a chinese sweat shop. Should I be impressed?
I have a friend who swears by them. When they're fresh its OK but as soon as they wear in, its a nightmare. At least that was my experience.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have a friend who swears by them. When they're fresh its OK but as soon as they wear in, its a nightmare. At least that was my experience.
They are too round to be ridden with more than 24-25 PSI. You need to be elbow deep in the dirt when turning if running anything higher than that for the side knobs to engage. But if you run lower pressures and that works for you, they are a cheap alternative to my personal favorite, the DHF. Horses for courses, but in my personal terrain they work.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
They are lethal on wet rocks and roots, a complete shitshow.
Yup, you are completely right!

But in good loam such as the one I ride daily, they are OK. For the Alpine trips I do 3-4 times a year I've got a set of DHF/HR2. In the meantime I can enjoy riding on a daily basis on tires my wallet doesn't regret killing.

I'm really tempted to go down the Michelin or Schwalbe route, but my current economy kinda prevents me from doing so.

Last edited: