Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Guy I know just cracked his current gen carbon Nomad right down the middle of the top tube. Super weird failure. I ran into him in the parking lot after it happened, he said he didn't crash, but looked down and there was an 8" long crack right along the center of the tube.
Shredded Cheese

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Random thought. Since the forum is primarily occupied by threads related to how the industry sucks and how GG rules, and because half the major contributors are or will be on a GG, should we consider renaming this place RideGuerrilla?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Random thought. Since the forum is primarily occupied by threads related to how the industry sucks and how GG rules, and because half the major contributors are or will be on a GG, should we consider renaming this place RideGuerrilla?
well... gorillas are monkeys after all. maybe we're already there?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay, I spent 5 minutes looking for a current GG Geo Chart. Does anybody know exactly where it is?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Okay, I spent 5 minutes looking for a current GG Geo Chart. Does anybody know exactly where it is?
@Shizzon is working on a pretty fancy spreadsheet comparison tool

Hi All,

I am working on a Geo. calculator for GG's bikes (Revv'ed platform + Pedalhead) and its getting close to being ready for prime time ( I sent it over to GG for Matt to look over my math if/when he gets a chance but it should be fairly accurate). The workbook allows one to play with all of the options built into the Revved platform (Frame Config, GeoAdjust Short/Long and Short/Tall and Trail/Gravity for the Megatrail/Shred Dogg. The workbook''s "Advanced" section accounts for actual fork AtoC (for selected model and travel) when solving for the geometry, while "The Basics" show the selected models geometry when configured with the recommended lower GeoAjust cup and fork travel.

As a secondary function, the workbook is also a detailed bike weight calculator with a decent selection of components already built into the drop down lists (and easily changed by user without much excel knowledge).

Conditional formatting is used to grey out cells that aren't applicable (note the images below) and I highlight cells when the "standard" configuration is not employed (e.g. you have the Tall GeoAdjust Cup in a Smash or Trail Pistol). The workbook does currently require one to "Enable Macros" when opening if you want the "Hide/Show Advanced" and "Hide/Show Component" toggles to work.

In use, the worksheet can help one to see how the various settings/configurations will affect not only geometry (BB height, STA, HTA etc.) but also the Fit; for instance, in the attached images I have used the calculator to maintain handlebar Stack and Reach between my existing S3 Pedalhead and my new S4 Smash (with Smash in Short setting, +10mm from Pedalhead when in long).

View attachment 141356View attachment 141357

If anyone is interested in playing around with a BETA version (i.e. not yet checked for accuracy by GG's resident Enginerd) of the workbook let me know and ill send it your way. I am very open to feedback and am looking to make the calculator as easy/intuitive to use as possible. I would love for few monkey's to put it through the ringer for me and let me know what they like and what they don't.

Regards,

Shawn

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Anyone OneUp their fork on a Revved frame? Wondering if there will be an issue with pre-loading the adjustable headset?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Anyone OneUp their fork on a Revved frame? Wondering if there will be an issue with pre-loading the adjustable headset?
Regardless of frame, I’d advise against it.

More of a PITA trail side than it’s worth if you need to straighten your bars for whatever reason.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the tapped steerer version or the stem version?

IMO the tapped steerer configuration that OneUp developed copied from BMX is probably better than traditional star fangled nuts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless you have a chainring tool it is hard to tighten properly. The splines are shallow and the tool that comes with it only has two engagement points. More likely to strip out splines than tighten the headset, hell you have to be super careful with a proper chainring tool not to strip it out. It would be wise to sacrifice a few grams and make the splines deeper.

That being said if you need to adjust your stem trailside, don't loosen the headset.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the tapped steerer version or the stem version?

IMO the tapped steerer configuration that OneUp developed copied from BMX is probably better than traditional star fangled nuts.
Stolen from BMX? I remember similar designs being popular when steerers were just starting to move away from threaded 1" tubes. I guess it is possible that also came from the BMX world.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unless you have a chainring tool it is hard to tighten properly. The splines are shallow and the tool that comes with it only has two engagement points. More likely to strip out splines than tighten the headset, hell you have to be super careful with a proper chainring tool not to strip it out. It would be wise to sacrifice a few grams and make the splines deeper.

That being said if you need to adjust your stem trailside, don't loosen the headset.
all you're trying to do is preload the bearings so there's no play. it doesn't need that much torque.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stolen from BMX? I remember similar designs being popular when steerers were just starting to move away from threaded 1" tubes. I guess it is possible that also came from BMX world's.
bmx forks have been using tapped & threaded steerers for over a decade.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
all you're trying to do is preload the bearings so there's no play. it doesn't need that much torque.
My particular install came on a used bike that clearly had a star nut installed at one point, perhaps the threads are far from pristine. All I can say is that even with clean and lubricated threads the built-in tool is not sufficient because it cannot stay in the splines. YMMV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My particular install came on a used bike that clearly had a star nut installed at one point, perhaps the threads are far from pristine. All I can say is that even with clean and lubricated threads the built-in tool is not sufficient because it cannot stay in the splines. YMMV.
i installed mine in a previously star fangled steerer. i didn't notice any particular difficulties tightening it, but to be fair i haven't tried the built in tool from EDC (only a cassette tool). it's possible whoever tapped the steerer you're using didn't go deep enough or tap it properly (1/2 forward 1/4 back) or use any lubricant.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I just wanna know Reach and WB difference between 3-4 is it still 490 for the 3?
For The Smash:
Size 3 long: 481 reach, 1249 wheelbase
Size 4 short: 500 reach, 1277 wheelbase
Size 4 long: 510 reach, 1287 wheelbase

There are pros and cons for doing the size configurator the way we did. For most people, it works better, but the above situation is a limitation. The way to do this on the website is enter different heights to get the different size recommendations, and it'll show you that info.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I just wanna know Reach and WB difference between 3-4 is it still 490 for the 3?
My calculator shows the following:

S3 Smash Reach, Short GA Cup: 471mm
S3 Smash Reach, Long GA Cup: 481mm
S3 Smash WB, Short GA Cup: 1239mm
S3 Smash WB, Long GA Cup: 1249mm

S4 Smash Reach, Short GA Cup: 500mm
S4 Smash Reach, Long GA Cup: 510mm
S4 Smash WB, Short GA Cup: 1277mm
S4 Smash WB, Long GA Cup: 1287mm

S3 Megatrail Reach, Short GA Cup: 472mm
S3 Megatrail Reach, Long GA Cup: 482mm
S3 Megatrail WB, Short GA Cup: 1236mm
S3 Megatrail WB, Long GA Cup: 1246mm

S4 Megatrail Reach, Short GA Cup: 502mm
S4 Megatrail Reach, Long GA Cup: 512mm
S4 Megatrail WB, Short GA Cup: 1275mm
S4 Megatrail WB, Long GA Cup: 1285mm

S3 Trail Pistol Reach, Short GA Cup: 483mm
S3 Trail Pistol Reach, Long GA Cup: 493mm
S3 Trail Pistol WB, Short GA Cup: 1219mm
S3 Trail Pistol WB, Long GA Cup: 1229mm

S4 Trail Pistol Reach, Short GA Cup: 513mm
S4 Trail Pistoll Reach, Long GA Cup: 523mm
S4 Trail Pistol WB, Short GA Cup: 1258mm
S4 Trail Pistoll WB, Long GA Cup: 1268mm

S3 Shred Dogg Reach, Short GA Cup: 483mm
S3 Shred Dogg Reach, Long GA Cup: 493mm
S3 Shred Dogg WB, Short GA Cup: 1236mm
S3 Shred Dogg WB, Long GA Cup: 1246mm

S4 Shred Dogg Reach, Short GA Cup: 513mm
S4 Shred Dogg Reach, Long GA Cup: 523mm
S4 Shred Dogg WB, Short GA Cup: 1275mm
S4 Shred Dogg WB, Long GA Cup: 1285mm

If you are interested in any other info let me know, additionally, if you fancy playing with the calculator message me your email and I will send it out.

Of note, while compiling this list I found that I had an error that resulted in the Reach calculation being 10mm too long (no matter what GeoAdjust cup is selected). Ill be sending the updated sheet out to those who already have it.

Regards,

Shawn

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Serious question for RidEgg riders. I have a buddy who's in the market for a new bike - he just sold his bike last weekend. We're about a month away from riding season. I'm pushing him to look seriously at the Smash.

My question is whether there are riders who might not be a good fit for the Smash.

This buddy of mine is a fast rider. He's single, fit, and has good bike handling skills. He's not a downhiller, but can ride downhill very fast. He sold his Pivot mach 429 because the suspension sucked, and he felt it wasn't enough travel. He was always interested in going fast, so always gravitated towards XC bikes, but I think he's starting to realize that modern trail bikes pedal really well, and modern geometry is way more fun than old-school xc bikes. I'm happy to push him towards GG, but I also don't want him to blame me if the bike isn't what he's looking for...

Our terrain is typical east-coast. Rox, lots of short up and down, kinda twisty. Is the Smash a good fit for this?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I have 3 rides on mine so far. Nothing too long, just some short rides to get things dialed.
I am in CT so lots of rox. The bb is lower then my last bike so I need to be a little more careful. I feel the Smash is a gear or two faster then my last bike. I first rode it in the long setting and it is long so I rode the last time in the short setting and felt better in the tight stuff. Its a very nice bike and I am impressed. No buyers remorse.