Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Looking for a fork for the bike, any consideration on what offset I should be looking for?
I would not get hung up on offset -- get the best fork you can in terms of performance at the best price. There are deals out there and I'd not pass one up just to run fashionable offset. I've had not a single issue with regards to stability, handling or anything else with my dinosauric 51mm offset ribbon.

I would go 140mm travel though.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
What about one with an offset that actually affects handling?

Exactly! Here's a picture of why it's so incredibly important. You have to really squint to see it.

As you can see, a difference in 3mm can make a bike nigh unrideabru. I'd say its infinitely more critical than trivial things like tires, bike sizing, riding style, frame geo, etc..

Or, maybe it's a "meh" issue for most people? I've gone back and forth with a 26" fork and a 27.5" fork on the same bike and could not in a million fuggin years tell the difference in the offset. Probably not even in 2 million fuggin years. Perhaps I'm just not that sensitive to it, but I was much more focused on getting the A2C to match up as close as I could.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Exactly! Here's a picture of why it's so incredibly important. You have to really squint to see it.

As you can see, a difference in 3mm can make a bike nigh unrideabru. I'd say its infinitely more critical than trivial things like tires, bike sizing, riding style, frame geo, etc..

Or, maybe it's a "meh" issue for most people? I've gone back and forth with a 26" fork and a 27.5" fork on the same bike and could not in a million fuggin years tell the difference in the offset. Probably not even in 2 million fuggin years. Perhaps I'm just not that sensitive to it, but I was much more focused on getting the A2C to match up as close as I could.

I do have to remind myself that nevegals and bar ends sold really well.

schnap.JPG

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The difference of course being, shitty tire designs compared to legit tire designs actually matter. This is like arguing that 26.1" wheels are shit tonnes better than 26" wheels.
Shit tons? I never said that.

But especially with a lot of sliding turns or ping ponging around in a shit ton of rocks, there's a noticeable difference in the leverage those things have on the fork and your steering.

I accept that you may not feel the difference. I do. And so do a lot of other people, which why companies are backing off overly long offsets with bigger wheels now.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Shit tons? I never said that.

But especially with a lot of sliding turns or ping ponging around in a shit ton of rocks, there's a noticeable difference in the leverage those things have on the fork and your steering.

I accept that you may not feel the difference. I do. And so do a lot of other people, which why companies are backing off overly long offsets with bigger wheels now.
God damn it, I want to get drunk and argue about this, but I'm way off the back on the drunk part. Gimme a couple hours to get right, then my erudite comments will have some real sting to them.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I, for one, can tell a fairly bit of difference between 36 and 46mm offset 27.5 forks.
(disclaimer - I am a talentless hack so my opinions don't matter here)

Edit: derp, 37mm indeed.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I, for one, can tell a fairly bit of difference between 36 and 46mm offset 27.5 forks.
(disclaimer - I am a talentless hack so my opinions don't matter here)
As I stated on the new whip thread, having a 37mm offset fork and adding a -2° headset on my not-so-modern-now 467mm reach bike has been the most noticeable and enjoyable change I've made in the last two years. Given the lack of testing in more demanding and gravity oriented tracks, my tamer local ones are now much more fun when ridden at higher speeds.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not sure what the difference was between my 26" pike and my 27.5" Recon and 27.5" 36, but no way I could tell the difference. But I'm also a talentless bike gorilla, so bag of salt over the shoulder.
Google says there was only a 2-4mm offset difference between 26 and 27.5 forks, so it's there but not a huge difference especially if you're changing travel or fork at the same time, it might go unnoticed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah, I did adjust travel to make things less different. Oh well, I'm still going to get plowed and yell at night clouds.
yeah, i noticed little difference when i futureproofed and went from a 26 float to a 27.5 float with my tinywheel. didn't bother to check offset because i didn't give a fuck.

and what do you mean "going to"???

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Ordering my seat stay kit today in hopes the mountains will open this summer.
I have no such optimism for summer park riding, but I do really dig the Gnarvana. Smash isn’t quite enough of a change to motivate me to actually swap the parts around on my Pistola, that would ended up either being a permanent change and leave me way overbiked most of the time, or I’d do it one time and then leave the Smash parts on the shelf forever. This is enough of a change that I could talk myself into actually doing it before going to the park, and then undoing it again when I got back to my local trails.

They should have called it the Sound Gnarden though, way better band than Nirvana.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Remember that other company that called their bike the Gnarpoon? Yeah, that worked out well for them... :D
Godspeed mtg, godspeed. ;)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So this is what was really in the oven.

@Nick the Megatrail isn't going anywhere, it's still popular.

This is also the first launch where we actually have quite a few seatstays in stock, and pretty short lead times for frames and complete bikes.

Gnarvana Dakota Ridge.jpg

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
So this is what was really in the oven.

@Nick the Megatrail isn't going anywhere, it's still popular.

This is also the first launch where we actually have quite a few seatstays in stock, and pretty short lead times for frames and complete bikes.

View attachment 143554
Looks rad, I prob would have went with the Gnarvana stays instead of the Smash stays.

Now my selfish question: Gnarvana has the same shock length as the Smash with a longer stroke... Would it be possible to "overshock" a Smash (aka a Smashola) to get the 160mm of travel?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Looks rad, I prob would have went with the Gnarvana stays instead of the Smash stays.

Now my selfish question: Gnarvana has the same shock length as the Smash with a longer stroke... Would it be possible to "overshock" a Smash (aka a Smashola) to get the 160mm of travel?
I know a few people have done that, but it's always experimental to see what clears the seat tube at bottom out. Irregardless of clearance, 65mm of stroke on The Smash creates just under 155mm of travel, iirc.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

FWIW, I just measured the Smash I have on hand right now (size 3, with a 2.3 DHR2 on the back). At the point that the tire hits the seat tube, the eye to eye spacing measures 160mm, with the shock in crush mode. So that combo should clear a 65mm stroke shock.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Well, this has spun me into a tizzy. Was all set on a Smash, but also wouldn't mind slightly longer travel. To be honest though, I am a fully paid up member of the "shorter is better" CS club, so 450 is probably a bit long for my tastes.

So this whole over-shocking thing on the Smash would be about perfect, provided it works. Anyone know of someone who has done it, or can confirm it clears with a decent amount of space? (2.3" DHR2 or Griffon is probably the biggest I'd run in back)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Well, this has spun me into a tizzy. Was all set on a Smash, but also wouldn't mind slightly longer travel. To be honest though, I am a fully paid up member of the "shorter is better" CS club, so 450 is probably a bit long for my tastes.

So this whole over-shocking thing on the Smash would be about perfect, provided it works. Anyone know of someone who has done it, or can confirm it clears with a decent amount of space? (2.3" DHR2 or Griffon is probably the biggest I'd run in back)
That sounds like The Smash is your jam.