Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm thinking of unloading my '18 alloy Smuggler while the used bike market is hot. It's a fine bike, but I almost never felt the desire to ride it over my Sentinel. The Sentinel's getting replaced with a Ripmo 2. I'm sure that would be a fine quiver of one for my trails (steep fast flow trails)... but N+1 beckons. I think another short travel 29er wouldn't feel different in a fun way. But a mid-travel 27.5 with aggressive geo (Shred Dogg) would still want to go fast, but handle differently enough to be exciting. Anyone running a similar quiver? Or is that too much overlap, and just me looking for an excuse to have a second bike?

Yes, I probably should have gotten a Smash+conversion kit+extra fork+shock+extra wheels instead of the Ripmo2, but I placed that order at the start of Pandumbic through my local shop in an effort to support them. Now they're drowning in business cause everyone wants to ride bikes, and my frame order is ETA July.
You ever get time on a Smash? I just demo'd a Ripmo AF and wanted it to be a little slacker and a little shorter in back, it just felt a bit too upright/trail-bikey. Wondering how the Smash compares as the geometry is pretty close...although slightly slacker and shorter in the back :)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
You ever get time on a Smash? I just demo'd a Ripmo AF and wanted it to be a little slacker and a little shorter in back, it just felt a bit too upright/trail-bikey. Wondering how the Smash compares as the geometry is pretty close...although slightly slacker and shorter in the back :)
Arriving today, assuming FedEx doesn't fuck up. I'll build it tomorrow and get first ride then. I'd agree, the Ripmo feels high and upright (probably due to the very solid pedal platform).

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Arriving today, assuming FedEx doesn't fuck up. I'll build it tomorrow and get first ride then. I'd agree, the Ripmo feels high and upright (probably due to the very solid pedal platform).
Lucky......
You snuck in under the wire. I just got an email, estimated 5 more weeks because of teh Rona. :(

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Goldilocks wheel up front eh? How you like? I have a Mk1 MT (26" no less) and I've been thinking about going to the mullet set up, as the thing is pretty damn low with strong sized wheels on it.
I’ve been ruined by shorter travel 29ers. This is a good compromise. I kept the 27.5 fork uppers and added some donor 29 lowers. Ends up with the low offset fork. Also gave up some travel (170 down to 160). So far so good.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I’ve been ruined by shorter travel 29ers. This is a good compromise. I kept the 27.5 fork uppers and added some donor 29 lowers. Ends up with the low offset fork. Also gave up some travel (170 down to 160). So far so good.
Right on...forgot that was a Goldilocks frame. But that's a pretty slick way to get the roll-overz™and keep the preferred offset. Guessing you're going to love that set up.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My egg has arrived, and hatched. Wow... well worth the wait. Even though it's got nearly identical geometry to the Sentinel v1 it replaced, it is way stiffer and the suspension is much more supportive.
IMG_0015.jpg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Eyeballing the build I'd say about 33.25lb.
Yeah, it's right at that without the Garmin, EDC pump & tool, and water bottle. All that crap minus the bottle and she's a stout 34.5 lbs.
Everything except the frame, drivetrain, and shock came over from my Sentinel. Well, the stem is new too - I couldn't resist a the polished silver to go with the silver decals.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Is that a cowbell on the front?
Timber Bell. Lets the hikers know I'm about to run them over. But it's got a nice on/off switch to shut it off when I'm not out in front, or climbing, or riding when I don't expect idiots walking up the obviously MTB trails.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Timber Bell. Lets the hikers know I'm about to run them over. But it's got a nice on/off switch to shut it off when I'm not out in front, or climbing, or riding when I don't expect idiots walking up the obviously MTB trails.
I doesn't matter what I do, (bell, noisy hubs or shouting excuse me) almost everytime I come up on a hiker they are super surprised and get angry that I somehow snuck up on them. I usually get told that I should let them know I am coming, which is hilarious because I am scaring the shit out of them by letting them know I am coming. I have stopped caring as it doesn't matter what I do. It is nice to know how easy it would be to harvest human meat if necessary. If these people don't notice me while making a racket, I can only imagine how close i could get trying to sneak up on them.

I actually had a woman walk into me after I pulled to the side of the trail to let her by earlier in the year.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I doesn't matter what I do, (bell, noisy hubs or shouting excuse me) almost everytime I come up on a hiker they are super surprised and get angry that I somehow snuck up on them. I usually get told that I should let them know I am coming, which is hilarious because I am scaring the shit out of them by letting them know I am coming. I have stopped caring as it doesn't matter what I do. It is nice to know how easy it would be to harvest human meat if necessary. If these people don't notice me while making a racket, I can only imagine how close i could get trying to sneak up on them.
I just gave up and started riding a motorcycle full time this summer. If you don't hear that coming, fuck you I say.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I actually had a woman walk into me after I pulled to the side of the trail to let her by earlier in the year.
A lot of them wear head phones around here....

If I see head phones or someone blabbering on the phone, I don't even give them notice. Just blast by as fast as possible. Less time for them to panic, start flailing and jump right into your path.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A lot of them wear head phones around here....

If I see head phones or someone blabbering on the phone, I don't even give them notice. Just blast by as fast as possible. Less time for them to panic, start flailing and jump right into your path.
Most of the time these folks are off the phone, no headphones but still oblivious to the world around them. That is also how people drive around here so I shouldn't be surprised.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Or, what if maybe this same problem had been solved in another usage scenario, maybe we could look there for inspiration.

interstate.jpg

Looks like directional trails would work.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You'd still run into the same problem of coming up on people clueless to their surroundings...

For bike only trails, yeah that works. Bike only trails are pretty rare though. :(