Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
@mtg any way you can hint at the likelihood of dedicated mullet stay kits with balanced geo (unlikely / long term project / spring-ish)? Given how trendy that is, I have to imagine you've at least considered it.

Trying to decide between shopping for a DJ, or a 27.5 rear wheel.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@mtg any way you can hint at the likelihood of dedicated mullet stay kits with balanced geo (unlikely / long term project / spring-ish)? Given how trendy that is, I have to imagine you've at least considered it.

Trying to decide between shopping for a DJ, or a 27.5 rear wheel.
hey man!

I’ll let mtg add more as needed, especially as he spent time riding on the mullet megasmash, but I would pop a few thoughts here to help with the “likelihood” portion of your question!

With all the projects GG had on its plate right now (many many many), in terms of actually tooling up for a unique mullet seatstay setup, it would really only make sense if (a) the mullet bike was an inline offering and (b) it really was unique and different than megasmashing.

Regarding (a)
At present, it’s really hard to actually just get matching-set OE wheels. Standard spec wheelset lead times have gone from 4 weeks to 12 weeks to 5-9+ months at the end of 2020. Along with this, there are also limited options for OEM mis-matched wheelsets, so not saying yes or no, but offering an inline mullet bike in the coming year is unlikely for this reason alone - just can’t get the supporting parts in a timely way.

Additionally, taking a look at customer service inquiries this past summer, there was <25 serious inquiries for mullet bikes, so while I appreciate that it is trendy from a racer bike setup perspective, and I too am interested to test it, GG has yet to really see much demand for them.

Regarding (b)
Not sure mtg’s take here (what would need to be optimized here) or yours (what the shortfall of the Megasmash setup might be), and have not thought about it myself in depth, so I’ll leave this one alone!

Not sure if this context helps, but thought I would share!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey man!

I’ll let mtg add more as needed, especially as he spent time riding on the mullet megasmash, but I would say just pop a few thoughts here to help with the “likelihood” portion of your question!

With all the projects GG had on its plate right now (many many many), in terms of actually tooling up for a unique mullet seatstay setup, it would really only make sense if (a) the mullet bike was an inline offering and (b) it really was unique and different than megasmashing.

At present, it’s really hard to actually just get matching-set OE wheels. Standard spec wheelset lead times have gone from 4 weeks to 12 weeks to 5-9+ months at the end of 2020. Along with this, there are also limited options for OEM mis-matched wheelsets, so not saying yes or no, but offering an inline mullet bike in the coming year is unlikely for this reason alone - just can’t get the supporting parts in a timely way.

Additionally, taking a look at customer service inquiries this past summer, there was <25 serious inquiries for mullet bikes, so while I appreciate that it is trendy from a racer bike setup perspective, and I too am interested to test it, GG has yet to really see much demand for them.

i know how you could fix your wheel problem ;)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
hey man!

I’ll let mtg add more as needed, especially as he spent time riding on the mullet megasmash, but I would pop a few thoughts here to help with the “likelihood” portion of your question!

Regarding (a)

Regarding (b)
Not sure mtg’s take here (what would need to be optimized here) or yours (what the shortfall of the Megasmash setup might be), and have not thought about it myself in depth, so I’ll leave this one alone!

Adding to the mullet setup discussion, between the Shred Dogg, Megatrail, and two different lower headset cups, there are quite a few options to dial in a specific setup already.
@Andeh what you had mentioned before about what you wanted to improve on the Megasmash (less slack, lower BB iirc), that could all be done with shortening the fork travel down to 160mm. I would suggest starting there.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
When are we going to see the new Smash and Trailpistol builds? I was dead set on buying a YT Jeffsy(don't flame me) but now I am pretty convinced on the Smash or Trailpistol.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When are we going to see the new Smash and Trailpistol builds? I was dead set on buying a YT Jeffsy(don't flame me) but now I am pretty convinced on the Smash or Trailpistol.
trail pistola splits the difference. 130mm travel, geo closer to the smash. that's likely my next bike.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Adding to the mullet setup discussion, between the Shred Dogg, Megatrail, and two different lower headset cups, there are quite a few options to dial in a specific setup already.
@Andeh what you had mentioned before about what you wanted to improve on the Megasmash (less slack, lower BB iirc), that could all be done with shortening the fork travel down to 160mm. I would suggest starting there.
Thanks for your and Marshall's responses, even if they're not what I was hoping for.

When I drew up a MegaSmash with 160 29er fork (~570 AC) I got 63.8/63.3 HTAs, 75.9/75.4 STAs, and 354/346 BB heights with the MegaTrail stays. The trail geo is close to what I'd like, but a 354 BB height (especially on a 27.5 rear end) sounds really, really high. Maybe something about how I drew it was wrong? I put a 27.5 on a Smash rear end and that got sort of in the middle for angles and quite a bit lower, but it's still very slack. The 63.4 HT feels incredibly wandery while climbing. Dropping to 150mm fork on it would make the BB too low (<330).

I think ideal would be something like: 150-160mm rear, 160mm front, 64-64.5 HT, 66.5-77 ST, 335-340 BB.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Hey man, still a bunch of hoops to jump through before I could offer you something meaningful, but happy to PM you once I have something a bit more concrete.

That said, looking at YT's website, it looks like all Jeffsy 29'ers are marked as SOLD OUT, no forecast dates either, so I would say with pretty good confidence GG can get you bikes faster regardless ;)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Thanks for your and Marshall's responses, even if they're not what I was hoping for.

When I drew up a MegaSmash with 160 29er fork (~570 AC) I got 63.8/63.3 HTAs, 75.9/75.4 STAs, and 354/346 BB heights with the MegaTrail stays. The trail geo is close to what I'd like, but a 354 BB height (especially on a 27.5 rear end) sounds really, really high. Maybe something about how I drew it was wrong? I put a 27.5 on a Smash rear end and that got sort of in the middle for angles and quite a bit lower, but it's still very slack. The 63.4 HT feels incredibly wandery while climbing. Dropping to 150mm fork on it would make the BB too low (<330).
Curious your math here... 10mm of fork length delta should change the BB height by about 3mm, not the 24mm you reference here...? Putting a 27.5" wheel in The Smash stays (opposed to Megatrail stays) w/ a 150mm 29'er front end would get you around 330mm BB and 63.5-ish HA.

The 160mm 29'er fork (w/ flat lower cup) is essentially the same effective length as a 170mm 27.5" fork (w/ tall lower cup) speced on the Megatrail - so you only need to account for +20mm as the larger radius of the front wheel. This should put the BB w/ 160mm fork around 340 low / 350 high and HA at 63.5 low / 64 high.

I think ideal would be something like: 150-160mm rear, 160mm front, 64-64.5 HT, 66.5-77 ST, 335-340 BB.
Agree, this looks like the sweet spot. A 150mm 29'er fork should put the BB on a MegaSmash around 335 low / 345 high and HA at 64 low / 64.5 high.

Again, none of this is verified, all back of the envelope. Just sharing FWIW.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
trail pistola splits the difference. 130mm travel, geo closer to the smash. that's likely my next bike.
Coming off of a 6" travel 26" wheeled bike I'm torn on what I need. I know the Trailpistol is perfect for riding around home but I would like some extra cushion for when I ride in the adirondaks or other real mountains.

That said, looking at YT's website, it looks like all Jeffsy 29'ers are marked as SOLD OUT, no forecast dates either, so I would say with pretty good confidence GG can get you bikes faster regardless ;)
I have a soft spot for made in the USA so I am more than likely going with GG even though I'll probably have to sacrifice the top of the line build :twitch:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I know this is an impolite question, but do y’all have a rough weight of a medium Trail Pistol frame with shock?
I know it won’t be featherweight, that’s fine.
But I am shopping for a 130.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
So, I know this is an impolite question, but do y’all have a rough weight of a medium Trail Pistol frame with shock?
I know it won’t be featherweight, that’s fine.
But I am shopping for a 130.
Medium GG is essentially a size 2.
In the current guise, with a DPS-type air shock, I would estimate it at 6.75lbs.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Coming off of a 6" travel 26" wheeled bike I'm torn on what I need. I know the Trailpistol is perfect for riding around home but I would like some extra cushion for when I ride in the adirondaks or other real mountains.
Here is my plan for my TP...
150mm fork. Cause slack is good.
120mm DPS shock (50mm stroke). For XC shoulder season
130mm Ohlins coil (55mm stroke). For Alpine mid summer

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Curious your math here... 10mm of fork length delta should change the BB height by about 3mm, not the 24mm you reference here...? Putting a 27.5" wheel in The Smash stays (opposed to Megatrail stays) w/ a 150mm 29'er front end would get you around 330mm BB and 63.5-ish HA.

The 160mm 29'er fork (w/ flat lower cup) is essentially the same effective length as a 170mm 27.5" fork (w/ tall lower cup) speced on the Megatrail - so you only need to account for +20mm as the larger radius of the front wheel. This should put the BB w/ 160mm fork around 340 low / 350 high and HA at 63.5 low / 64 high.

Agree, this looks like the sweet spot. A 150mm 29'er fork should put the BB on a MegaSmash around 335 low / 345 high and HA at 64 low / 64.5 high.

Again, none of this is verified, all back of the envelope. Just sharing FWIW.
You know, I started to think that the numbers were looking funny too. I originally came up with them by making a sketch in AutoCAD of the base bike, then increasing the front wheel radius by 20mm (for 27.5->29), cutting head tube length by 14mm (for short cup) then stretching the fork out to appropriate A/C measurement. Then I rotated the whole thing about the rear wheel contact point until the new front wheel lined up.
So I just tried using some more clever math on this site (https://bikegeo.muha.cc/) and come up with more sane numbers. Started with a fork AC of 559 + 14mm (for tall cup). Changed to a 571 (29er fork) + 20mm (for 29er wheel). Used published MegaTrail Gravity mode geometry. Ended up with 63.7 HT, 75.9 ST, 341 BB. That lines up with what you napkin mathed.

So.... when will I be able to order MegaTrail stays from the website again? :brows:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
You know, I started to think that the numbers were looking funny too. I originally came up with them by making a sketch in AutoCAD of the base bike, then increasing the front wheel radius by 20mm (for 27.5->29), cutting head tube length by 14mm (for short cup) then stretching the fork out to appropriate A/C measurement. Then I rotated the whole thing about the rear wheel contact point until the new front wheel lined up.
So I just tried using some more clever math on this site (https://bikegeo.muha.cc/) and come up with more sane numbers. Started with a fork AC of 559 + 14mm (for tall cup). Changed to a 571 (29er fork) + 20mm (for 29er wheel). Used published MegaTrail Gravity mode geometry. Ended up with 63.7 HT, 75.9 ST, 341 BB. That lines up with what you napkin mathed.

So.... when will I be able to order MegaTrail stays from the website again? :brows:
Nice man! Shoot me a pm / or connect with Dustin phone/email to see what might be possible there... but you might also actually pop on the GG FB page to see if anyone has an extra set as well.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Nice man! Shoot me a pm / or connect with Dustin phone/email to see what might be possible there... but you might also actually pop on the GG FB page to see if anyone has an extra set as well.
Thanks, I'll give him a call. I know the FB page is a good resource, but I deleted that years ago.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

Those numbers look much more plausible.