Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got impatient and built up my MegaSmash a week early. Shhh don't tell my wife.
Measured geometry with a 160mm ERA (571mm AC):
Trail: 64.2 HTA, 76.7 STA (at 765mm from BB to rails), 346mm BB height
Gravity: 63.8 HTA, 76.2 STA, 337mm BB height
I'll give it a first ride tomorrow in Trail mode, because the geometry angles are closest to what I had on the 160 forked Gnarvana, and want to get a good feel for what the change is strictly from the small wheel and shorter CS. After a few laps I'll try Gravity for proper shreddage. I'm stoked on the measurements though, they're better than what I expected, and right at my sweet spot.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I spent all day at a jump park on my smash and it’s still one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden! That is all.
That’s exciting to hear! There’s a solid 16” of snow pack here with another 14” coming this week so I won’t be riding anytime soon even if my new ride shows up early.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
OK, here's the dentist mullet in all it's glory:
IMG_0665.jpg

I tried 2 laps with it in Trail, 2 laps in Gravity. This is my third time trying a mullet, and the first time the geometry didn't get messed up in the process (due to the GeoAdjust headset - able to run the short cup and a shorter fork for only ~15mm more effective fork height). It... fucking... rips. For someone like me at 5'8", the lightness and shorter rear end is significantly more agile. I felt much better doubling small features (about the extent of my jumping ability), in tight corners of all varieties, and flicking the rear end on a couple hips/wall rides. I expected that I'd like it better in Gravity, but feel like the increased pop of Trail was more fun. That said, in a sections of 6 quick moderate radius berms, the lower height of Gravity was scary fast and threw my rhythm because I picked up speed so rapidly. I'll go down to Santa Cruz next weekend to ride some stuff with bigger bomb holes and see if I really miss the bigger rear, but I kind of doubt I will. Now that all the pieces clicked, the only place I can imagine personally wanting full 29 would be Downieville / Sierras where you've got pretty straight trails with good sight lines that encourage going mach stupid. I'll give it some time to get through the honeymoon phase but I could see unloading my 29 rear wheel and Gnarvana stays if I don't feel drawn to go back to them.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Haha...the last time I rode Downieville was in 01’, on a Giant DH bike with a 24” rear, double wides with a Gazzalodi.
Also featured a clapped out Boxxer that was previously owned by Juergen Beneke.
Total and complete overkill. It would probably have been faster with a decent 100/125mm bike, but the DH was all that I had with me.
Still stupid fun, though!

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK, hold the phone. Why is there no "frame only" option anymore? Seems easy...

I'm guessing frame supply issues are greater than component supply issues. When demand exceeds supply increase sales volume through options instead of raising prices. Probably the best option for running a business without gouging customers.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I figured they were the ones making Mandalas out of Pine Cones.
my bad, wrong hippies.

Edit: I used to skate on liquid, it would give you mad focus.
And line inpiration.
Nah, they were about as far from hippies as you can get. Super salty/crusty racers, who happened to be into macro dosing. Definitely a bunch of screws loose, but they were fast. Also, it does give you mad focus on choosing your lines...supposedly...and stuff.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I'm guessing frame supply issues are greater than component supply issues. When demand exceeds supply increase sales volume through options instead of raising prices. Probably the best option for running a business without gouging customers.
but they are the ones making the frames? if you can make more than you can get components for the opposite would be the way to go? are carbon fibers and composite now also in high demand?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but they are the ones making the frames? if you can make more than you can get components for the opposite would be the way to go? are carbon fibers and composite now also in high demand?
It was mentioned previously that they may be having issues sourcing tubing for stay kits, so therefore limited availability on frames. but a lot of build kits on hand.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Not to take away from the debate over why GG won't sell a frame only, but anybody have the shock bushing and bolt spec. for a Revved TP?

Need to order some RWC bearings and Ti hardware for my Egg, but it's not at work with me

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not to take away from the debate over why GG won't sell a frame only, but anybody have the shock bushing and bolt spec. for a Revved TP?

Need to order some RWC bearings and Ti hardware for my Egg, but it's not at work with me
Capture.JPG

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Goddamnit, read through that manual like 7 times and couldn't find it.

Any idea on bolt lengths?

Edit, anybody running RWC needle bearings, neither 20mm nor 35mm are listed as options, what am I missing here? https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/
No idea, but I'd leave shock bolts as the steel ones that came with the bike if it were me. You also only need to change the rear mount to bearings on that linkage.

There's a 35mm version here, but out of stock:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I only used needle bearings on a shock mount once and had less than stellar results. They crunched in a few hundred miles of trail riding.
What bike?

Wife has had one on the top mount on her Burner since we bought it second hand, no issues. Hence me thinking about putting one on the top mount on mine.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I only used needle bearings on a shock mount once and had less than stellar results. They crunched in a few hundred miles of trail riding.
Not a needle bearing but check if this roller bearing mount fits - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-announces-new-fit-fork-dampers-and-a-roller-bearing-kit-for-shocks.html

I've been using one for over a year on the top mount of my Smuggler and it is solid as. I presume as long as it clears the surrounds of the eyelet you can use it on any brand shock that uses 1/2" eyelets.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In Germany folks use these bushings to improve their suspension: https://huber-bushings.com
I have a set that came on a used bike. They are nice but I have no comparison to the original ones. They require special hardware because of non-standard IDs of the bushings.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If you're using a Fox shock, they have a bearing mount kit that's easily retrofittable to the rear shock eye.
Have you run the fox ones? Do they hold up?

Been replacing bushings constantly, if I got a few hundred miles out of bearings it would be a colossal improvement.

The rest of the bike has been pretty bulletproof, but I'm replacing shock bushings faster than tires or brakes.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
My introduction to Downieville was in 2000 riding a hardtail with a crew that had a ritual of dropping liquid acid before the shuttle ride up.
I gotta hear more about this. Mushrooms and riding I have done. Watched my buddy turn into a Lobster while he skipped Football practice to do a 10-15 mile loop with me. We got lost watching the grass breath.....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I gotta hear more about this. Mushrooms and riding I have done. Watched my buddy turn into a Lobster while he skipped Football practice to do a 10-15 mile loop with me. We got lost watching the grass breath.....
This was 21 years ago, but in summary -

- Definitely a "WTF am I getting myself into, this is a terrible idea" moment
- Turns out one can get laser focus on high speed line selection, no one passed us while we were moving on a mid-summer weekend
- Trying to figure out what to do with a presta rim and schrader tube can be fucking hilarious
- Having the fire dept show up to put out your camp fire in the dispersed campsite during no burn season and asking who wants to take the ticket results in a bunch of dudes staring at the ground

...also, from my experience bikes and shrooms results in a lot of time spent off the bike

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I imagine H8er reading this thread, and jumping off his couch, drumsticks and cymbals flyin' everywhere, running to get on the horn with Matt Pike to make this happen