Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I don't think anything changed in the front triangle. I'm assuming the bushings in question are located in the swingarm. The plush/crush flip chip is in the swingarm as well--sounds like they've gone to a single mode that is toward the plush side of the crush/plush spectrum.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think anything changed in the front triangle. I'm assuming the bushings in question are located in the swingarm. The plush/crush flip chip is in the swingarm as well--sounds like they've gone to a single mode that is toward the plush side of the crush/plush spectrum.
i must need more coffee.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@jonKranked the bushings are only in one pivot, the swingarm/seatstay pivot. It has very little rotation, and torsional stiffness of that joint is important. Bushings make sense.
The rest of the pivots are different, and remain as ball bearings.
The rear shock mount hardware also changed to 30mm wide, to better accommodate the ball bearing hardware of Fox and RS for that pivot.

Front triangle changes: new decals, instantly gives 250 watts of extra power. It’s like having an e bike, without the e bike.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@mtg can you elaborate on this a bit more?
Sure. In the past, riders had a more even divide on Plush vs Crush mode, but more recently, the preference has been almost universally Plush mode. Combine that with the ability to swap seatstays easily, it made more sense to make the shock mount cleaner and simpler with one setting.
The first model with this treatment was the Gnarvana, and the Trail Pistol kinematics were refined into one setting for the full Revved version.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sure. In the past, riders had a more even divide on Plush vs Crush mode, but more recently, the preference has been almost universally Plush mode. Combine that with the ability to swap seatstays easily, it made more sense to make the shock mount cleaner and simpler with one setting.
The first model with this treatment was the Gnarvana, and the Trail Pistol kinematics were refined into one setting for the full Revved version.
thanks, I was wondering if the kinematics were improved enough to negate the loss of the settings. so with the stays riders are just changing between the models / travel settings yes?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
thanks, I was wondering if the kinematics were improved enough to negate the loss of the settings. so with the stays riders are just changing between the models / travel settings yes?
Yes, the idea was to make a mountain bike platform similar to how racecars are built: you have one chassis, and a toolbox of tuning parts to optimize it for different tracks and conditions. The seatstays have different travel, kinematics, and geo, with the purpose of each "model" being tailored for a certain use.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I won't be sad to see Trail/Gravity on the MegaTrail go away, especially as a coil shock user. The travel change alone corresponds to a 25# change in spring rate, let alone any changes to the leverage rate. I've tuned my shocks for Gravity, so while Trail climbs really well with the same settings, it rattles my teeth out on brake bumps descending. I could see it being ok for perfectly smooth flow trails but for mixed trails it's a lot more granular to just add a few clicks of compression. And climb switch is faster than swapping the bolt position.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
When I had the original Megatrail I ran it in short travel F/R 90% of the time. Only occasionally put it in long mode and always on the LOW setting. I think I had my fork at 150 in its short travel setting....

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
From the press release:

Additional updates include:

Full Revved Carbon rear triangle. 300 grams lighter and 50% stiffer that improves power transfer while climbing and cornering precision.
Built on the Modular Frame Platform. The updated Trail Pistol fits seamlessly
into our line of modular frames.
External brake hose clip system: You’ll no longer find zip ties directly on our frame. The new brake hose system “clips, twists, and inserts” to secure the hose.
Internal swingarm cable routing. Feed the derailleur cable into the front of the swingarm, and it exits at the other end.
Molded rubber protector: a newly designed protector with recessed fit gives riders additional clearance between the crank arm and protector, and prevents catching or edge peel.
Pivot bushings, where they make sense: To create an even stiffer rear triangle interface, the updated Trail Pistol seatstay/swingarm pivot switches from ball bearings to long proven IGUS bushings for lighter weight, better fit, and a longer service life.
Off with the offset. The rear wheel is now centered (zero dish) on the Revved
Carbon rear triangle.
Permanently Plush. GG Riders agree: Plush/Crush Mode is better achieved by switching Seatstay Kits, which is why the Trail Pistol has been optimized to be permanently plush with increased small bump compliance.
Updated GG decals. Immediately adds 250 watts. Who needs an e-bike now?
doesn’t knolly use these too?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ibis uses them in some pivots too. Ball bearing like to spin not wiggle, especially when the balls cannot get a full rotation in, all the wear is focused on a small area and they don't last long. Bushings are a better solution for pivots that don't have much range in motion. Also pivots with little motion have a high leverage ratio to overcome the increased friction so it is less likely to be felt in the suspension response.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
We should post up a video showing the lack of friction in the suspension on the new Trail Pistol. It you remove the shock and rear wheel, lift the rear suspension, it immediately drops back down with no hesitation whatsoever under its own weight (and its lighter than before).
Before committing to that pivot design, we made a prototype that I started riding quite awhile ago, and did a back to back ride test with an ElevenSix on a Gnarvana. If any friction change was going to be noticeable, it would have been on that setup. It wasn’t.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We should post up a video showing the lack of friction in the suspension on the new Trail Pistol. It you remove the shock and rear wheel, lift the rear suspension, it immediately drops back down with no hesitation whatsoever under its own weight (and its lighter than before).
Before committing to that pivot design, we made a prototype that I started riding quite awhile ago, and did a back to back ride test with an ElevenSix on a Gnarvana. If any friction change was going to be noticeable, it would have been on that setup. It wasn’t.
Post the video

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So, I've been running an air shock for a week or so while my coil is serviced. I picked up a takeoff DPX2 Elite that has the MegaTrail tune code, using it on mine in Gravity. I found in order to get it to feel "right", I had to add a 0.2 token, am running at about 27% sag (=235 psi @ ~172 riding weight), a fair amount of LSC (~5 from closed), the rebound pretty open (~12 from closed).

Is running less sag typical in Gravity mode? It seems like it's very active at the start (got a fairly high leverage ratio?). And at 30% with no tokens, I could bottom it out aggressively bunny hopping in the street, so it doesn't seem hugely progressive.

I'm just curious because I'm by no means a "rad" rider, but it seems like I'm ending up with a pretty aggressive tune.