Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Judging by the general state of the monkey population, we all could use some extra humor in our day. Our favorite frenchman is taking over the GG Instagram account today, so head on over there.*

* You can check Instagram while yelling at the kids to get off your lawn.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Judging by the general state of the monkey population, we all could use some extra humor in our day. Our favorite frenchman is taking over the GG Instagram account today, so head on over there.*

You should get him to come post here

:popcorn:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
@mtg said ours, as in "not yours".
Dammit, I thought he meant the Ridemonkey "our".
Then this would clearly be Nico:
- former DH-er that now mainly rides eBikes
- went from DH to enduro to eBikes (slippery slope)
- loves fast cars
- retired but still riding "bikes"
- overanalyzes everything

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

I will have some liberty fries to celebrate :dirol:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@Andeh from your mullet spreadsheet what config have you settled on?

150 MegaSmash could be a good config for my wife over full 29.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
@Andeh from your mullet spreadsheet what config have you settled on?

150 MegaSmash could be a good config for my wife over full 29.
I'm liking the 160 fork, 155 rear (Trail) mode. Noticeably poppier than Gravity.

Edit: 150 fork should be a good trail setup too. My bike did not explode when I ran it in Gravity and had 5mm more travel in the rear, so running 150/155 will be fine too. Figure half a degree steeper than the 160/155, and like 3mm lower BB.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm liking the 160 fork, 155 rear (Trail) mode. Noticeably poppier than Gravity.

Edit: 150 fork should be a good trail setup too. My bike did not explode when I ran it in Gravity and had 5mm more travel in the rear, so running 150/155 will be fine too. Figure half a degree steeper than the 160/155, and like 3mm lower BB.
I was looking at the shorter 60mm stroke line entries rather than the normal shock stroke 65mm, thanks.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was looking at the shorter 60mm stroke line entries rather than the normal shock stroke 65mm, thanks.
You can change stroke on the '21 DHX2 just by adding/removing spacers on the shock body. Super easy and it only takes a few minutes; I'd say it's ideal for GG bikes if you're going to be swapping setups at all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You can change stroke on the '21 DHX2 just by adding/removing spacers on the shock body. Super easy and it only takes a few minutes; I'd say it's ideal for GG bikes if you're going to be swapping setups at all.

Aren't they just bottom out spacers? If one was trying to limit travel for the purposes of balancing travel and not preventing some kind of mechanical interference, couldn't you just run higher pressure and retain that last bit of travel for those Oh Shit moments?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Aren't they just bottom-out spacers? If one was trying to limit travel for the purposes of balancing travel and not preventing some kind of mechanical interference, couldn't you just run higher pressure and retain that last bit of travel for those Oh Shit moments?
Agree, generally, shorter strokes are simply mechanical stops in the shock, to prevent a mechanical bottom out on the frame. The easiest way to get a sense of how a 160mm bike feels at 150mm, just to ride it with 5% less sag, and your ride height / useable travel will be equivalent to 150mm.

That said, I personally use a 60mm stroke shock on my Gnarvana, and it rides awesome.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Short stroking can work fine, but there are compromises. You're effectively blocking off the end of the travel, so you're also losing some progression. According to Linkage, short stroking the MT in Trail mode to 60mm will be 145mm rear travel. I haven't modeled it in Gravity yet. I ran Gnarvana stays short-stroked for a while and noticed the bottom-out a lot more than when I went to 65mm. Same shocks, same sag percentages. But I like progressive frames with coil shocks, so YMMV.

As @Westy says, you can also just adjust your sag to correspond to shorter travel (so, 18mm sag corresponding to 30% on a 60mm stroke, which would be 27.7% on 65mm) to have it feel like a shorter travel bike, but still have another 10mm of travel for oh-shit moments.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Short stroking can work fine, but there are compromises. You're effectively blocking off the end of the travel, so you're also losing some progression. According to Linkage, short stroking the MT in Trail mode to 60mm will be 145mm rear travel. I haven't modeled it in Gravity yet. I ran Gnarvana stays short-stroked for a while and noticed the bottom-out a lot more than when I went to 65mm. Same shocks, same sag percentages. But I like progressive frames with coil shocks, so YMMV.

As @Westy says, you can also just adjust your sag to correspond to shorter travel (so, 18mm sag corresponding to 30% on a 60mm stroke, which would be 27.7% on 65mm) to have it feel like a shorter travel bike, but still have another 10mm of travel for oh-shit moments.
This is me looking at options for wife's next trail bike, she's currently on a 150/140 27.5 and at 5'10.5" the mullet option gives that clearance for steeps she would appreciate over full 29er. Not a hucker so the 160/65 option is overkill versus the 150/60 #'s.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Aren't they just bottom out spacers? If one was trying to limit travel for the purposes of balancing travel and not preventing some kind of mechanical interference, couldn't you just run higher pressure and retain that last bit of travel for those Oh Shit moments?
Definitely. If all you're needing to do is change spring rate there's no need to change stroke. However if you want to toy around with switching to other rear stays (like the Smash), you'll need to change stroke to avoid frame contact issues.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
This is me looking at options for wife's next trail bike, she's currently on a 150/140 27.5 and at 5'10.5" the mullet option gives that clearance for steeps she would appreciate over full 29er. Not a hucker so the 160/65 option is overkill versus the 150/60 #'s.
Yeah, good option then. My gut feeling is that Trail mode short stroked will still feel at least as progressive as Gravity with 65mm stroke. You could also just do a mulleted Shred Dogg in Gravity for 150/140. Geo looks excellent on that option.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, good option then. My gut feeling is that Trail mode short stroked will still feel at least as progressive as Gravity with 65mm stroke. You could also just do a mulleted Shred Dogg in Gravity for 150/140. Geo looks excellent on that option.
Geo is close, comes down to wheelbase and chainstays between those two.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@marshalolson , any ETA on Megatrail stay availability?
Good question. Long story short, the alloy tubing supplier is just getting set to ship us our long back ordered material in the next week, so hoping seatstay kits will be back online by June.

Don’t hold me to it 100%, but that is my best estimate presently.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Guy who's job is to market stuff gets instagram to market stuff. Big deal.

Do something interesting and give me the login for a day. I bet I can get more bikes sold*

*may actually result in lawsuit from specialized bicycles

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I can help!

while also accidentally making sure no one buys this

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look at this Madison Saracen STUMPJUMPER

That's like Madison Saracen STUMPTOWN mastery right there.

Of course manon had to retire because riding a STUMPJUMPER like that makes you hate life and want to quit riding bikes, but it's still a great memory.

Being so SPECIALIZED robs your soul of any meaning so it was only a matter of time. We'll miss her.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can help!

while also accidentally making sure no one buys this
I can see a use for that if it handles decarboxylization of the "herbs"

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
We've said for years that we know we've made it when Specialized sues us.

Apparently we haven't made it yet.
I already offered myself as a FABA (Fat Assed Brand Ambassador). I know I have a growing segment of the population which can relate to my fitness condition. I obviously work as a Systems Administrator, so I guarantee I'll spend more time in front of the computer than riding... Plus my fails/bloopers would be epic!!!

And I also hate specialized with my soul.