Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So... how many days until updated GG Smash? I've noticed that Yoann's channel has gone silent, and there's no videos by Remi or Steve with him in it in the last couple weeks (they've been filming together constantly this year). So my :tinfoil: theory is he's testing/filming promo material for the updated Smash.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 6.19.03 AM.png

Didn't realize he was the drummer of Primus. Pretty sure they shot most of that in the SF bay looking at it. They used to go into a Moto shop in Petaluma my friend worked at for years.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So I know it was discussed a while back, but what are the prospects of a MegaSmash mullet being offered as a standard option in 2022?

I'm not really keen on a full 29 setup, mostly because my 27.5 wheels are already heavy enough as it is with a DD casing and inserts. But I'd be keen on giving a 29 front tire a go.

Also, and I know this has been addressed before, and might seem lame, but I really (really), like riding without a pack. It seems (to my untrained eye) that it would be sooo simple to move the shock mounting point on the downtube a couple of inches up or down to accommodate a large bottle... It's the only thing that has me hesitating...

I think I'll be looking to buy a new bike next year, and a MegaSmashMullet that can rock a large water bottle would tick all my boxes (if it existed).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Also, and I know this has been addressed before, and might seem lame, but I really (really), like riding without a pack. It seems (to my untrained eye) that it would be sooo simple to move the shock mounting point on the downtube a couple of inches up or down to accommodate a large bottle... It's the only thing that has me hesitating...
I've been able to run 650ml bottles on a size 3. I have mastic tape on the inside of the downtube so the bottle doesn't rattle on it.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So I know it was discussed a while back, but what are the prospects of a MegaSmash mullet being offered as a standard option in 2022?

I'm not really keen on a full 29 setup, mostly because my 27.5 wheels are already heavy enough as it is with a DD casing and inserts. But I'd be keen on giving a 29 front tire a go.

I think I'll be looking to buy a new bike next year, and a MegaSmashMullet that can rock a large water bottle would tick all my boxes (if it existed).
Below is 1.2 liters of water in the front triangle, size 3, with an ElevenSix. If you run a shock with more reservoir/bottle clearance, you can get even larger bottles up top.
Similar to @djjohnr, I put a piece of velcro on the downtube for bottle rattle and that also helps maximize the space.

The bottle cage holes are placed such that using a bottle cage with long adjustment slots (eg Zefal cage pictured) allows a combo of either a large bottle with less shock clearance, or medium sized bottles with more shock clearance.
When we locate those bottle mounts, we use a pile of cages, bottles, and shocks to choose something that works well with as many options as possible, and give you the ability to adjust it for your specific setup.

Hydration setup is dialed.GIF

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll be trying to fit some frame bags, custom if I have to. I like that with frame bags I can usually carry full size bottles easier, since they aren't as confined to the shape of the tubes, and I can cram a lot of extra stuff in there, like tools, extra gloves, hand warmers, a light base-layer or packable jacket, etc. You can always use revelate feed bags for bottles behind your handlebar. I don't find that one affects handling and I'll drink out of it first to minimize effects as I ride longer. There's also the reverse gas-tank for taco-TT to ST junctions, which can hold a good deal of stuff on it's own. I find this way I can minimize weight on my back, even if I still take some weight on my back.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

I know that GG is at least considering that. Keep asking them for it. The more people we get asking loudly, the better chance it becomes a reality. I love mine, but would love it even better if the geometry was closer to stock (steeper STA, a hair less slack front, BB a hair lower) - i.e. if one of the flip chip modes was for mullet.

I have a S2 frame, and can run a 24oz bottle up top with either a Wolf Tooth Morse cage, or any other cage with a BRAD bracket. If the mount points up top moved down about 1", this would be unnecessary, but you'd have to run shocks with reservoirs facing down. I'm unable to run any bottle cage in the bottom mount with a 21oz Podium bottle without angled shims, and then I have to flip the shock reservoir up (and that limits the top bottle to 21oz).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

"Let's change suspension kinematics because I'm thirsty"

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting GG should shift the shock mount points, or even the top mount points on the S2. The shock is where it is for kinematics. The top mount is so that you can always run a typical 21oz bottle in a typical cage with a shock reservoir on top (apparently some can't clear the downtube when mounted in downward orientation). If your shock allows reservoir down, then you can pretty easily run a 24oz up top with certain cages/mounting brackets.

Due to the length of the S2, getting any regular sized bottle down on the bottom takes creative work, typically about 5mm of shims on the front to angle the bottle a bit up, and a cage that lets you slide it all the way back to the seat tube. Or running one of those ridiculous mini Fidlock bottles. You can make it happen, but I think of the lower bracket as more of a tool bracket, at least on the S2.

I haven't really tried too hard to get a working 2-bottle solution because for my typical rides, a 24oz is more than enough. For longer rides, 2x 21oz (or less with Fidlock) wouldn't be enough, so I just run 1 bottle and sacrifice my dignity with a hip pack or vest.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That said, MTGs solution could work. Except I'm looking at a S2 frame... How much smaller are they?
Interestingly enough, you can often fit a larger water bottle up top on the size 2, because there is more room to run the shock reservoir on the bottom. My wife’s Trail Pistol is setup that way with a DPX2, and she can run huge water bottles.