Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I've been running multiple sets of MT-5s across my quiver for 5+ years now with no issues bleeding outside of the occasional dumb ass mistakes.

In general -

- Gravity bleed (I do this with every brand of brake)
- Make sure caliper syringe is screwed on enough to get a good seal
- Don't use a plunger in the master cylinder syringe
- Have the caliper bleed point be the lowest point of the system when you're pushing through fluid
So the caliper syringe is really just a ‘cup’?

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Magura brakes are easy to leave a bubbles inside, it takes a lot of in stand gymnastics to chase all air out in one go. Counterintuitive to air being at the highest point drop the bars lower than caliper with the bleed cup still in, and turn the bar away from the bike and over the top tube pumping the lever. if nothing comes out when the MC is high again the little bastard should get to the top, there is some shape to the pathway that requires this. I will also work the pistons in and out at each bar position (only after I'm sure the caliper is air free) when the bars are in the low position and the pistons out moving equally(ish). I will load new pads (syringe no longer attached at caliper but open cup at MC) and pump the pads closed, swing the bike back to normal the last little fucker should be at the top, using purple Hayes tool spread pads compressing pistons back in pushing any more bubbles out the top. I hope that makes some amount of sense.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Brakes should not be that hard to f-in bleed.
They are easy to bleed and felt great both times I bled them. It was 10-20 into the ride where things deteriorated. The lever goes all the way to my handlebar right now and there is no oil/fluid leaking at all.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They are easy to bleed and felt great both times I bled them. It was 10-20 into the ride where things deteriorated. The lever goes all the way to my handlebar right now and there is no oil/fluid leaking at all.
Reservoir sizing an issue on those or nah?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This is relevant, will pass this along to see if there is a way to make the Magura brakes more robust to air bubbles during assembly.
Bumped into a guy on the trails up here in North Van riding the 29er. His was equipped with Maguras. He seemed pretty happy. I was jelly.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I did another bleed this morning, pumped about 60ml through and did some tapping on the piston and lever. Everything is running fine for right now.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Bumped into a guy on the trails up here in North Van riding the 29er. His was equipped with Maguras. He seemed pretty happy. I was jelly.
If my rear brake was operating like my front brake I would be beyond happy with the performance of the MT7 pro.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
My front mt7 pro was just rebled as well. I won't trust it until after a ride or 2 but feeling great at the moment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The good: My re-valved super deluxe seems to be doing well.

Not as good: My rear axle is backing out? Happened twice while I was just doing a short test ride. Loosened the pinch bolt, tightened moar and then tightened the pinch bolt. Anything else special about this syntace axle? Seems odd it would back out.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The pinch bolt in the Syntace system holds the derailleur hanger and nut insert in, not the axle.
Try 1.7 more ugga duggas on the axle.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am a big fan of loctite over ugga duggas on bikes. Purple or even bearing retainer works well for larger coarse threads like an axle.
I don't take my wheels off *that* much, but that's like making it next to impossible out on the trail, no?

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Not as good: My rear axle is backing out? Happened twice while I was just doing a short test ride. Loosened the pinch bolt, tightened moar and then tightened the pinch bolt. Anything else special about this syntace axle? Seems odd it would back out.
I had this on my Suppressor for a while (also has a Syntace X12 axle). Worked perfectly with Hope Pro2s, but on another wheel with an FSA hub the axle constantly backed out, no matter how many ugga-duggas were applied. I broke the rim before I figured it out and haven't used the hub since. So if you can, maybe try another wheel for a ride or two?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had this on my Suppressor for a while (also has a Syntace X12 axle). Worked perfectly with Hope Pro2s, but on another wheel with an FSA hub the axle constantly backed out, no matter how many ugga-duggas were applied. I broke the rim before I figured it out and haven't used the hub since. So if you can, maybe try another wheel for a ride or two?
I applied generous grease to the threads, gave it the 1.7 uggas more, no further issues.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I first got a bike with the dt axles I didn’t understand how hard you had to crank those down, harder than I thought. I had a few times where it came loose, but after tightening adequate, no more issues. You definitely don’t want to do a race with a new bike and those dt axles if you are new to them.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
maybe some of you fanbois can go over there and try some karate on him...

Fake news

EDIT: I tried reading through that thread, but after the 5th dingus posted that they are no longer considering the purchase of a Guerrilla Gravity Nerf Pistol I lost interest. But yeah pretty unfortunate situation for the OP.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Admitted fanboi here but I'm not good enough at internet combat to get involved in that shit show. MTBR really distills the majority of what I dislike about many in the MTB scene and then turns the volume to 11.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Fans/ friends of GG can't dismiss that guy's complaint though, if his new frame is in fact that mis-aligned.

I guess that's another challenge of a small, growing company starting to deal internationally without a local presence.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fans/ friends of GG can't dismiss that guy's complaint though, if his new frame is in fact that mis-aligned.

I guess that's another challenge of a small, growing company starting to deal internationally without a local presence.
fact: complaining on eMpTy BeeR fixes all bike problems.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
fact: complaining on eMpTy BeeR fixes all bike problems.
I used to be quite active on mtbr about 25 years ago (which is crazy) and this phenomenon has been a constant.

Now that I'm reflecting, mtbr users used to do these 'gatherings' which were super fun, got me out to a bunch of new places to ride, and from that I made good friends all over the country.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I used to be quite active on mtbr about 25 years ago (which is crazy) and this phenomenon has been a constant.

Now that I'm reflecting, mtbr users used to do these 'gatherings' which were super fun, got me out to a bunch of new places to ride, and from that I made good friends all over the country.
now you have guys on there that don't believe there's an aluminum shortage during a global pandemic, despite it being widely known.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
As an unapologetic GG fan boi, I blame it on gravity being upside down in Oz.

I honestly haven't delved too deeply into the issue, so I'm not familiar with all the specific details (and whether or not there's more to it that we're not hearing). I do find it odd that this particular frame was full on OG-Intense misaligned and to my knowledge, this isn't something that's been documented with other frames. Half makes me wonder if it was damaged in shipping somehow. I would also be remiss if I didn't point out a lot of big/medium brands (headquartered in the US or say Germany) have had, and continue to have their share of warranty challenges as well.

Regardless, I do hope they get the guy sorted out, even if the social media damage has been irrevocably done.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Half makes me wonder if it was damaged in shipping somehow.
this stuck out to me too, no mention (at least from the portion of the thread I bothered reading) about damage to the packaging. i *always* check the condition of the packaging for damage and evidence of tampering. years ago I ordered a complete BMX bike from Dan's comp, and a few upgrade parts along with it. it arrived and looked fine, but half the upgrade parts were missing (a sprocket, grips, one or 2 other things). i checked the packaging again and it looked like there was an excess amount of packing tape, which I had initially chalked up to Dan's opening the bike box to add the parts. I reached out to them, and they have a good order fulfillment system, and were able to confirm that yes, the parts were added to the shipment during fulfillment, which means my stuff was pilfered either during transit or after delivery (unlikely given where I lived at the time). dan's got me sorted, but I had to file a police report for stolen property first.

that being said, damage during transit is unlikely. i wouldn't think carbon could be permanently deformed to cause that much misalignment without cracking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
possibly dumb question (as i have no experience with the current gen frames) - are there spacers for where the swingarm mounts to the front triangle? could installing them incorrectly have shifted the whole back end enough to misalign the shock mount that much?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
this stuck out to me too, no mention (at least from the portion of the thread I bothered reading) about damage to the packaging. i *always* check the condition of the packaging for damage and evidence of tampering. years ago I ordered a complete BMX bike from Dan's comp, and a few upgrade parts along with it. it arrived and looked fine, but half the upgrade parts were missing (a sprocket, grips, one or 2 other things). i checked the packaging again and it looked like there was an excess amount of packing tape, which I had initially chalked up to Dan's opening the bike box to add the parts. I reached out to them, and they have a good order fulfillment system, and were able to confirm that yes, the parts were added to the shipment during fulfillment, which means my stuff was pilfered either during transit or after delivery (unlikely given where I lived at the time). dan's got me sorted, but I had to file a police report for stolen property first.

that being said, damage during transit is unlikely. i wouldn't think carbon could be permanently deformed to cause that much misalignment without cracking.

Carbon fiber doesn't deform, it subdivides.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
possibly dumb question (as i have no experience with the current gen frames) - are there spacers for where the swingarm mounts to the front triangle? could installing them incorrectly have shifted the whole back end enough to misalign the shock mount that much?
There are spacers between where the seatstay connects to the rocker, and 1 spacer on the drive side on where the rocker mounts to the frame.

The seatstay spacers fill the gap between the bearing and the edge of the stay. The rocker spacer just fills a gap between the bearing in the frame and the threaded part of the rocker.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are spacers between where the seatstay connects to the rocker, and 1 spacer on the drive side on where the rocker mounts to the frame.

The seatstay spacers fill the gap between the bearing and the edge of the stay. The rocker spacer just fills a gap between the bearing in the frame and the threaded part of the rocker.
what i'm getting at is whether it's possible it could just be misassembled rather that actually misaligned

highly unlikely since there are several pictures of his non-working frame with it assembled to the point where some ugga-duggas are needed to get everything to line up. the general consensus among other GG owners is that his assembly is correct.
GG never expected him to take the shock off right away and find out. let him ride it a little bit, then it's his problem...