Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I watched his videos. (*no way I'd hit anything even half the size of that stuff*) That second jump seemed to be giving him problems, seemed like he cased it about 2/3 of the time. Good durability test for that Revved chainstay!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have hard times getting 29er wheels up to speed for stuff. It's fine when you have enough vertical/run in and the design is fine with 29ers, but this is one of the reasons I'm not on a Gnarvana.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have hard times getting 29er wheels up to speed for stuff. It's fine when you have enough vertical/run in and the design is fine with 29ers, but this is one of the reasons I'm not on a Gnarvana.
Maybe its a trail specific thing, but I've found that on jumplines with moderate grades my TP/Smash carries speed much better between jumps and requires less panic pedals on my part. Whereas when I go back to my MT (albeit with strong sized wheels) I can feel it really bleeding speed between jumps. But keep in mind I'm bad at air bikes and rely (heavily) on mph's to clear gaps rather than, ya know, actually jumping things proper.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
JM was referring more to acceleration (I think), rather than carrying speed. Lots of people notice the same thing... easier to accelerate a 27.5 with a couple strokes out of a corner, but once you get a 29 up to speed it carries momentum better, even on flats.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Whats wrong with going through the trouble of designing and manufacturing a whole new bike model so you can sell 4 of them? :thumb:

Albeit, you could probably sell all 4 on RM pretty quickly
So you're saying the should focus on the revved tandem instead? I think they'd sell at least 8 of those, yoann looked like he had more fun on that than those big jumps.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
JM was referring more to acceleration (I think), rather than carrying speed. Lots of people notice the same thing... easier to accelerate a 27.5 with a couple strokes out of a corner, but once you get a 29 up to speed it carries momentum better, even on flats.
Yeah that's certainly fair, and I kinda assumed he was talking about jumps, but I get the point for general trail riding. Although even there, I find the smaller wheels may accelerate better, but they really lose speed on chatter/moderate chunder unless its pretty steep. To me, the main fun-vantage of small wheels is the ability to turn quicker and usually well inside a 29er.

So you're saying the should focus on the revved tandem instead? I think they'd sell at least 8 of those, yoann looked like he had more fun on that than those big jumps.
I'd be down...I could be Yoann's lander spotter: nope, comin' up short on this one, which means this is probably where we go our separate ways. Au voir mon mi!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The wagon wheels are so good at covering up mistakes that rob the smaller wheels of speed and I feel like they're less fatiguing overall.

I still believe aside from the slight traction benefit of the 29er and the more gradual drift breakaway they seem to have, a 27.5 bike can get around the same pace. But it does seem more fatiguing, and so much less forgiving of a mistake. You've got to be pretty dialled to stay in touch IME.

I really do struggle to picture a scenario where the 27.5 wheels are actually faster rather than "as fast"

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The wagon wheels are so good at covering up mistakes that rob the smaller wheels of speed and I feel like they're less fatiguing overall.

I still believe aside from the slight traction benefit of the 29er and the more gradual drift breakaway they seem to have, a 27.5 bike can get around the same pace. But it does seem more fatiguing, and so much less forgiving of a mistake. You've got to be pretty dialled to stay in touch IME.

I really do struggle to picture a scenario where the 27.5 wheels are actually faster rather than "as fast"
Here a lot of trails are build tight and twisty to get as much trail out of a small plot of land as possible. If I am on my game and on the 26" short-wheelbased funbike I can ride away from some friends on 29ers in those passages. They are fitter and have the advantage if they can pedal in a straight line.
Other advantage is that I am on a </= 740 mm handlebar. For some trails a 710 is ideal.

DSC_1226-1024x576.jpg