Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got a couple of little Silkys but we just had a mini-tornado thingy here and my home trails are covered in debris and salad. Might look at some electric chainsaws, the quiet aspect is very appealing given the dubious legality of some of the tracks. Hope the batteries last awhile though - the spare batteries seem expensive.
Last summer we had a massive storm that prompted me to upgrade my Stihl to a 20" bar, and even then I was still left considering upgrading to something with a 36" bar.

I do also want a little electric saw for limb work and small stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's with rid egg's frame whining?

What do you mean you want to use a different curing and bonding process? Why don't they just learn to ride what's already in use? This is new england, new epoxies just aren't how it's done.

What's with the low BB and longer front ends........they can't just be better riders and ride what some roadie thought was a good fit 30 years ago? Why they gotta sanitize everything with just one front triangle? They should learn to build more front triangles and they'd become better frame builders.
That is not Numberwang

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
They should learn to build more front triangles and they'd become better frame builders.
This is the road I am currently taking.

Question for the Builders on here
Say you have a general start and end point in mind on a hillside. Small hill 500ft Vertical, very Rocky and Steep in parts. Assuming the builder wants the trail to incorporate the steepest, most tech sections. Do you start from the Top down or Start at the steep/tech parts you wish to use and build up to the top and down from the bottom (of the steep section that is roughly 1/3 of the way down the hillside?
Had a trail roughly marked and some of the sections did not have the speed I had anticipated too slow or too tight. Head scratcher for me.
Also do you use flags or marking paint to easily remember where the trail is going during the build?
Keep a bike with you and get used to sending shit with no pads and work boots when you have a doubt. Building uphill is an easy way to make some janky shit. look at it from all directions and get used to your version of optimism. Viu Gluck.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Question for the Builders on here
Say you have a general start and end point in mind on a hillside. Small hill 500ft Vertical, very Rocky and Steep in parts. Assuming the builder wants the trail to incorporate the steepest, most tech sections. Do you start from the Top down or Start at the steep/tech parts you wish to use and build up to the top and down from the bottom (of the steep section that is roughly 1/3 of the way down the hillside?
Had a trail roughly marked and some of the sections did not have the speed I had anticipated too slow or too tight. Head scratcher for me.
Also do you use flags or marking paint to easily remember where the trail is going during the build?
I look at the sections/features that I want to include and then try to link them with a rough outline. Then first make them rideable and then adjust the speed of the approaches to make them work.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Green works electric chainsaws are 25% off right now
I've an older one - got it since it uses the same batteries as a couple other things we have from them.

From what I've read/seen online, newer versions of theirs and others are even more powerful with longer lived batteries.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I look at the sections/features that I want to include and then try to link them with a rough outline. Then first make them rideable and then adjust the speed of the approaches to make them work.
This. We have very limited terrain in terms of natural fun (read its pretty flat). We always identify points of interest first. Sounds like you have that down. Then link them roughly but at each point, look at things from above and below so be sure it will work out. Plan to change things to make it work after you try it. In general, we always try to prioritize descents, cool features, fun turns and carrying speed at the expense of total miles of trail. So much of our trail here sucks because people just ram a bunch of low speed spaghetti onto a piece of land to max out miles. I'd rather ride 2 awesome, feature filled miles that never let up (and which run both ways) than 15 miles of horse shit. Agree that it will definitely suck if you just start at the top or especially bottom and build it in a linear fashion--it just won't come out right. The more you do it, fuck up and fix it, the better your eye for what works and what doesn't will get.

I absolutely love building and can't understand how so many people have no interest at all. Props for getting out there--it will be worth it!!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'd rather ride 2 awesome, feature filled miles that never let up (and which run both ways) than 15 miles of horse shit.
Signature worthy. Always shocked how many people focus on mileage and not on riding actual good trail. Its like drinking 10 piss warm shit beers to get to drink 2 excellent beers. Just drink the 2 good beers and pour the rest out.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
... but faced the problem of the irregular surface around that bearing.

Ended up using a dime and a penny to shim the extractor.

View attachment 171482
MTG should put a small flat surface around this bearing on future iterations to make extraction easier...

The pivots by the rear axle do have a nice flat surface, so it was simple to get those bearings out.
A lot of companies have these irregular shapes around the bearings and it does suck. I'd rather a bike be practical to work on rather than look stealthy and need 5 more specialty tools that I'll never use again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just listened to the Downtime podcast with Barelli. Apparently he wants @mtg to get him a dual crown compatible frame with 180mm+ travel for all teh hucks
something dual crown capable would require a different front triangle, my understanding is that there are different test standards that need to be assessed / tested in order to have that rating.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
something dual crown capable would require a different front triangle, my understanding is that there are different test standards that need to be assessed / tested in order to have that rating.
They can make a few out of teh aluminimz for the few people that want one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Depends…are they hoping the ’custom’ customer will be a source for boatloads of future orders?
(devil’s advocate)
Would you take time off from a good paying job to work for someone else for free with the hope that they may offer you a poor paying job in the future?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Would you take time off from a good paying job to work for someone else for free with the hope that they may offer you a poor paying job in the future?
No, I wouldn’t at this point in my life. But that is how some people think, usually people that are manipulative and self-centered. But this happens all the time.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
No, I wouldn’t at this point in my life. But that is how some people think, usually people that are manipulative and self-centered. But this happens all the time.
I search out bad paying or no paying jobs all the time. It’s like an alternative reality to reality. Or a lifestyle…. Does the ski shop pay well?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Actually, it does here in JH. (Relatively speaking). But I don’t really do it for the paycheck, it’s for all of the perks. I ski Jackson, Targhee, Snow King (and fifty other resorts) for free, employee purchase on bikes and gear for my whole family, and I get paid to speak a lot of Spanish, which I love. I work about two days a week on average. I have other gigs for $$ and insurance.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Actually, it does here in JH. (Relatively speaking). But I don’t really do it for the paycheck, it’s for all of the perks. I ski Jackson, Targhee, Snow King (and fifty other resorts) for free, employee purchase on bikes and gear for my whole family, and I get paid to speak a lot of Spanish, which I love. I work about two days a week on average. I have other gigs for $$ and insurance.
Sounds great to me. I’m on a very similar program.

@jackalope she’s a beaut!