Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So my cane creek DH inline air broke on my trail pistol. It feels like the damper rod broke or came disconnected from the piston, it has basically no rebound damping and on rapid hits has no compression falling for the beginning of the travel. Guess that explains the weird noise the bike has been making.
I wasn’t very happy with it to begin with, I was running 18% sag, a full volume spacer, and the hsc 1/2 turn from full closed. And it was still blowing through the travel pretty easy on big hits, but not that but since the dvo emerald fork at 30% sag no volume spacers and the hsc 1click from full open performs as I’d like. Also I can’t find a mix of rebound settings that feel good pumping, don’t try to ejector seat me on jumps, and track well on rapid bumps down hill. It actually felt the best in the case on the ride that it broke, ha.

I’m thinking I should replace it with a coil, maybe pick up a used super deluxe ultimate and have it avalanched. Is there a spring rate chart or calculation for the frame?
which version of the inline? the current one? it sounds like something was off in the first place if you were running HSC fully closed. what was your LSC set to?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Have you checked shock alignment on the frame? The last trail pistol I pulled apart was pretty bad, had to push the shock over quite a bit to get it installed. It also had broken the damper shaft.

If alignment is bad, I'd stick with an air shock such as Float X as they have more support for misalignment (1/2" steel damper shaft with two bushings and air can adding support).

Especially since you were running low sag and still blowing through the travel. A coil would likely be worse. About 18% progression, borderline for coil use.

gg.gif

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The shock slips right into the frame no problem so I don’t think there’s any alignment issues.

for settings, I weigh 156lbs
155psi and 1 f spacer
hsc 4.25 turns
Lsc 6 clicks
Lsr 12 clicks
Hsr 2 turns

On the coil I’m not afraid of using a long soft bump stop to get some extra end stroke progression nor running a slightly stiffer spring as long as the damping is good. From my math using that motion ratio chart I should be using a 400lb spring to get 20% sag with it setup with 130mm travel as a pistola.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So my cane creek DH inline air broke on my trail pistol. It feels like the damper rod broke or came disconnected from the piston, it has basically no rebound damping and on rapid hits has no compression falling for the beginning of the travel. Guess that explains the weird noise the bike has been making.
I wasn’t very happy with it to begin with, I was running 18% sag, a full volume spacer, and the hsc 1/2 turn from full closed. And it was still blowing through the travel pretty easy on big hits, but not that but since the dvo saphire fork at 30% sag no volume spacers and the hsc 1click from full open performs as I’d like. Also I can’t find a mix of rebound settings that feel good pumping, don’t try to ejector seat me on jumps, and track well on rapid bumps down hill. It actually felt the best in the case on the ride that it broke, ha.

I’m thinking I should replace it with a coil, maybe pick up a used super deluxe ultimate and have it avalanched. Is there a spring rate chart or calculation for the frame?
Oh, craig will let you know what spring rate to get. He will definitely let you know...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Just to offer a data point, I am Supper happy with the Float X2 (with 3 orange volume tokens) I am running on my Trail Pistol (55mm stroke pistola setup).

In particular, regardless of what shock you get, if you aren’t already, definitely go pistola.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Cane Creek warrantied the shock, thankfully. I'm thinking something was wrong with it right from the get go, I've dropped lsc 1 click, and lsr 6 clicks. I havent hit anything very big yet but I'm down a turn on hsc as well. So there's that. I'm still not super stoked on the yearly service costing $170 on this thing so I'm still temped to sell it while is basically freshly serviced and grab something that only costs like $40 to rebuild.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just went to pull up the page for the pistola and it redirected my to the standard trail pistol. i had another link saved for the frame builder on the pistola and it 404'd on me.

:confused:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i just went to pull up the page for the pistola and it redirected my to the standard trail pistol. i had another link saved for the frame builder on the pistola and it 404'd on me.

:confused:
don’t worry. I know they are updating a few things presently. If you were looking to place an order, just call Dustin. But it’s an option that will continue forward.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Pretty sweet that they make it stupid easy now to figure out what rear triangle bits you need to switch between models. Super not sweet that its a grand for me to be mullet curious shreddog style with my trail pistol instead of $500 like I could if I wanted the gnarvana rear end.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Pretty sweet that they make it stupid easy now to figure out what rear triangle bits you need to switch between models. Super not sweet that its a grand for me to be mullet curious shreddog style with my trail pistol instead of $500 like I could if I wanted the gnarvana rear end.
It is a kinda pricey experiment altho much less than a new bike! I had a 27.5 rear wheel from my prior megatrail and found a used set of shred dogg stays from the exchange thread on MTBR. The mullet dogg is a pretty different bike than the pistola but I've really been liking it. I'd say where the pistola is a really nice example of a modern trail bike with a wide performance envelope, the mullet shred dogg is more of a play bike with perhaps a bit more top end due to moar travel. I like it a bunch for our flattish/rolling but turn intensive trails where the most fun is had making something out of not much in terms of terrain--ie hitting corners hard, popping off stuff, etc. Also more fun on jumps and "features". It's got a pretty low BB and short back end so really lets you get weird in terms of getting over the bars, committing to turns and pushing limits of traction. However, if I just wanted to cover a lot of ground in a hurry, then pistola all day.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
If you guys had these colors 2 years ago my wife might have become a gg fan girl instead of a Santa Cruz/Julian fan girl.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
the water bottles keep evolving smaller
In all truth, the Revved frame platform has the most water bottle room of any full suspension bike we've made. My standard setup is two water bottles in the front triangle, with an ElevenSix. The bottle under the shock is an Abloc, and a little smaller than average, but...two waterbottles!