Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
unless you hear otherwise from me, consider me first in line.

:popcorn:
Don’t look at my latest post in the White Telephone thread where I said it’s been 2 years since I washed it. I definitely wouldn’t go 2 years without washing a bike, nope, not me

I actually don’t think I’ve ever washed it prior to this, so it’s been more like 3+ years, SoCal dust FTW!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don’t look at my latest post in the White Telephone thread where I said it’s been 2 years since I washed it. I definitely wouldn’t go 2 years without washing a bike, nope, not me

I actually don’t think I’ve ever washed it prior to this, so it’s been more like 3+ years, SoCal dust FTW!
It'll be in good company with my bikes then

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I always rinse my bikes after a ride even when the trails are bone dry after having a bike pretty much disintegrate from what I assume was sweat driven corrosion. Alloy nipples turn into dust, bubbles under powder coat and headset races seized to steerers.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I always rinse my bikes after a ride even when the trails are bone dry after having a bike pretty much disintegrate from what I assume was sweat driven corrosion. Alloy nipples turn into dust, bubbles under powder coat and headset races seized to steerers.

Full body Botox, no functioning sweat glands left

Haven’t had an issue with sweat ruining things, but I don’t spend nearly as many hours on my bike as I should.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bikes are longer, so now I just sweat onto the top tube rather than all the expensive bits. :D

But yeah it's fun to discover what sweat will do. I always find the aluminum under my grips eventually starts to corrode.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
From the comments

Former GG/Revved Employee here. Most of this information is true with a couple minor errors. Revved and GG were basically one company all along. Both were under one roof and employees all worked together on a day to day basis. Revved was created to allow us to make parts for other OEMs. Both companies were officially done as of last Friday (9/29). The companies are for sale. Go buy them if you have the money. All employees saw that the end was near. There were four rounds of layoffs that began in February. The company was a blast to work at and I would never trade that experience. We had our growing pains, but we made the best of it. I love my GG bikes, the community, and the experience I gained from my time with them. Go hire an ex GG/Revved employee and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Ride your bike and pour one out for a cool company that had great potential.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not crazy. If you are paid hourly and enjoy what you do, work with a team that you like, you can not only benefit financially but also make good connections.

It's not sustainable, but when the opportunity presents itself, sometimes you take it. Not everywhere in the world has access to royalty treatment from the government.

Also, so both comments in I context of each other...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
In agriculture its 6-7 days a week almost all year. I've done the 80 hours a week jobs before and the paychecks are pretty cool. No time to spend money either.

It sucks to hear GG went under. Their bikes were fairly popular and had strong branding. I tried to love it and you all have heard my experience with the GG Shred Dogg. It rode amazing but had a terrifying headtube creak. It sounded so bad that I took the whole front end apart and rebuilt it several times and even sent the fork back to the manufacturer to be gone through.

In the end, I sold the frame and got a Banshee. Funnily enough, I transferred all the parts over to the Banshee and that bike has never death creaked once.

RIP GG... hopefully someone picks up the equipment and creates something awesome.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's not crazy. If you are paid hourly and enjoy what you do, work with a team that you like, you can not only benefit financially but also make good connections.
I would have taken the "long nights and weekends I gave to the company" quote as meaning they *weren't* being paid by the hour. If you're paid by the hour, you're really not "giving" time to the company...

But to Sethimus' point - Americans can be really nutty when it comes to work.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I would have taken the "long nights and weekends I gave to the company" quote as meaning they *weren't* being paid by the hour. If you're paid by the hour, you're really not "giving" time to the company...

But to Sethimus' point - Americans can be really nutty when it comes to work.
I'd guess these people commenting are in manufacturing, so most likely are paid by the hour. If they were paid salary....well perhaps that was part of the problem.

We know they aren't (salaried) engineers, because they would have led with "well I was an engineer here and....). :busted:

all work, no holidays. americans in a nutshell
Your stereotypes run deep, this isn't Kentucky. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have worked projects where 12 hour days were the easy ones with one day off a month. But that was always pretty engaging hands on shit in a lab or on a factory floor with a very clear goal and end point. Some departments at work currently have mandatory 55 hour weeks caged up in front of a computer. I'd lose my shit.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I can tell you for realz that their GG bus was no G7. Can't tell you about the Barelli debacle. I don't really know or care.

So like what? Should a bike company just machine and weld their own shit? No crabon, no internal cables - just give me a bike that works and doesn't creak?

Asking for a friend

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
The guy with the wad of cash is invited in, and is usually required to grow the business.
He doesn't force his way in the front door.

If you start/own a business and want X amount of growth, wad of cash guy is often required.

If you start a business with the intention of growing it and then selling it, this often happens as well. Like with the Alta electric moto company.

Turns out starting and running a business is hard, which is why something like 75% of start ups fail within 3 years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The guy with the wad of cash is invited in, and is usually required to grow the business.

If you start/own a business and want X amount of growth, wad of cash guy is often required.

If you start a business with the intention of growing it and then selling it, this often happens as well. Like with the Alta electric moto company.

Turns out starting and running a business is hard, which is why something like 75% of start ups fail within 3 years.
so like vampires, you have to invite them in.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

GG started in 2012 :rofl:

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
They should RUN their own shit, and not let any asshole with a wad of cash decide he knows how a business that he knows nothing about, works

you sounds like a businessman
Well, sure. I'm a "Business Man" that is in IT. I do have an MBA. But that really doesn't mean shit. Grew up on small business, tho. Consider me a student of the bike shop business sport. Just cuz it's moar phun than the real world. :)

Usually, if you control the purse strings, you control the company Which isn't exactly optimal. "So exactly how many bike companies have you made profitable?" (This is my question to the venture capitalist)

None. (Is what I'd assume)

Exactly. That would be my first point of contention, which kinda sounds like what you are alluding to.

I've spent my fair share turning wrenches for a sub-optimal franchise here in CO. Blah. It was okay. Learned some stuff and moved on.

Still tho. What "killed" GG? How does Yeti, Commencal, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Pivot, Trek, etc. make it, but not GG?

I don't spend enough time in the bike industry to study this, but I do find it interesting.

The reason I put down some things about not carbon, not internal routing, is because I'm so tired of it. And paying for it. And really not seeing any benefit. So why produce it? Why is a Santa Cruz Miami Vice bike Fucking Expensive? It doesn't have to be. IDK, just asking some questions...