Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"Frame weights are within a half pound of the lightest competition, regardless of material..."

7.8 lbs. (3,538g) frame with hardware (size Medium, no shock)

did anyone else read this? I'm not hating on GG (I actually like the bikes), but it seems like total BS.

Last time I looked Session frames were right over 5 lbs with no shock. Not that they are the strongest, but still DH frame vs DH frame. http://www.sicklines.com/2015/04/07/2015-trek-session-9-9-dh-27-5-frame-details-reviewed-weights-detailed-frame-photos-and-more/

Those aren't dh frames though. They're dh front triangles with trail bike rear ends.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
all bike parts (frames included) are disposable
Some (vastly) sooner than others.

But hey, I think we can all agree that GG would certianly be the first bike company to claim something which wasn't 100% accurate...I mean, nobody else does stuff like that -

"THE WORLD'S BEST BIKES AND GEAR FOR ROAD, MOUNTAIN, CITY, AND KIDS"

*as festooned on the top of the Trek webpage.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
"Frame weights are within a half pound of the lightest competition, regardless of material..."

7.8 lbs. (3,538g) frame with hardware (size Medium, no shock)

did anyone else read this? I'm not hating on GG (I actually like the bikes), but it seems like total BS.

Last time I looked Session frames were right over 5 lbs with no shock. Not that they are the strongest, but still DH frame vs DH frame. http://www.sicklines.com/2015/04/07/2015-trek-session-9-9-dh-27-5-frame-details-reviewed-weights-detailed-frame-photos-and-more/
We'll have to update that claim, I think it was based on info that looks a bit out of date. That being said, the "just over 5 lbs" doesn't include things such as an axle, a seat clamp, chainstay protector, cable clamps, etc. Granted, none of that stuff is terribly heavy, but it adds weight. Our weight claim includes all of that stuff.

Now, how about we go over some marketing material from the companies you've worked at? :) Hold on, I need to go get some coffee.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
all bike parts (frames included) are disposable
Yeah, that's the unfortunate ethos of the corporate bike industry today. I'm currently riding a 10yr old frame that will probably go at least another 10 w/o flinching... it was definitely not built to be disposable.

I'm very much in the camp of having a bit more weight and having it last than half-a-water-bottle-less-weight-carboner-and-a-really-heavy-warranty and then having to send it back for replacement every year.

That's not to say that carbon can't be made to last, it's just that most companies today designing them that way.

Now, Trek rear triangles... how many broke at Lourdes? How many broken XO DH cranks?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I love everything GG is doing, and they're the small fish in a big pond. If the move to the standard du jour helps them in market relevance this year and next, and does not hurt performance, then more power to them.

FTR, I have 135, 142 and 150 hubs and 26 & 27.5 rims. The "spare wheel from my other bike" days are done.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
God damn it Matt, you've mentioned the whole available in 157 thing like 3 or 4 times now, thats not the point. We want to bitch about something, so if you would kindly step aside, we can get back to shaking our fists at passing clouds. :shakefist:
:rofl:

I know I complain about new standards a ton, but there's really nothing to complain about here.

I am still curious how chainline works out on a 148/83 combination setup though. @mtg?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The cassette goes inboard relative to the 157 hub, which would be a problem if it was a bike that you were climbing up hills. But, on a DH bike, when some people are even removing the three largest cogs, it works great. The chainline ends up better when you're in race-winning gears.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
You're almost two weeks too late.
So... You're saying I'm right on time?!?

PS- I like your idea to have one axle standard on both of your bikes. If a DH bike can run it, and most people's AM bikes will have 148, it solves the wheel swapping issue everyone bitches about, for a while at least!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The cassette goes inboard relative to the 157 hub, which would be a problem if it was a bike that you were climbing up hills. But, on a DH bike, when some people are even removing the three largest cogs, it works great. The chainline ends up better when you're in race-winning gears.
Makes sense. I'm running an extra ghetto 11-25 5 speed setup on my DH bike, I probably would be better off if that whole mess were further inboard.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If a DH bike can run it, and most people's AM bikes will have 148, it solves the wheel swapping issue everyone bitches about, for a while at least!
Until in like 2 months when a new standard will be released to prevent this. Or is it at Sea Otter already?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
if you would kindly step aside, we can get back to shaking our fists at passing clouds. :shakefist:
Passing cloud... also known as the amount of time it takes the mtb industry to introduce a new standard and mothballing the current standard.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you do make me a 29" gg 110-130mm bike, please make mine with a 157mm rear end, K? the chainline is shit with my xt 11 speed, so you don't even need to reconfigure the spacing, just slide it on over.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
What if you did two rear stays for the 29" one with 142 and the other with 148 let buyer choose?

The bike was 37LBS in a size MD. That frame weight is what the XL Evil Insurgent with a Vivid Air weighed I am testing now.....

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
If you do make me a 29" gg 110-130mm bike, please make mine with a 157mm rear end, K? the chainline is shit with my xt 11 speed, so you don't even need to reconfigure the spacing, just slide it on over.
What chainline are you running, and what's the rear hub width?

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Yeah, that's the unfortunate ethos of the corporate bike industry today. I'm currently riding a 10yr old frame that will probably go at least another 10 w/o flinching... it was definitely not built to be disposable.

I'm very much in the camp of having a bit more weight and having it last than half-a-water-bottle-less-weight-carboner-and-a-really-heavy-warranty and then having to send it back for replacement every year.

That's not to say that carbon can't be made to last, it's just that most companies today designing them that way.

Now, Trek rear triangles... how many broke at Lourdes? How many broken XO DH cranks?
What frame??? Serious question...

I've broken all kinds/brands of carbon and aluminum frames for the last 4 years.

I blame it on dropper posts... seat low=DH bike

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What frame??? Serious question...
Carbon cranks were snapping all over the shop and the Treks appear to have a knack of snapping at the chainstays…but they ride amazingly well….

Take it fwiw... you could probably find out. Just thought it was worth asking due to what the funny/true statement from woo.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Carbon cranks were snapping all over the shop and the Treks appear to have a knack of snapping at the chainstays…but they ride amazingly well….

Take it fwiw... you could probably find out. Just thought it was worth asking due to what the funny/true statement from woo.
Not sure what you're asking?