Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Will the chainring fit non offset? I am tired of the miserable chainline in the big gears
If you don't run a larger chainring you should be able to run it a little narrower. Are you sure you've been running the recommended chainring to cassette alignment?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Those 27.5 tires tear like tracing paper. Rocky Mountain had 2 of their new bikes in town and both bikes got tire torn on the first demo day!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
27+ has its niche, but I can't see it taking over. The plus side (heh heh) is that you end up with 29ers sporting more tire clearance. Our goal is to give riders the option.

@marshalolson the Boostinator kit converts 142 wheels, and I know off hand Sram and Race Face cranks can adjust to the chainline. Sram cranks need the 0mm offset direct mount chainring, and Race Face need the direct mount ring flipped.

Last edited:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Dang! Sweet rig, but I was really hoping this would be a mini-Megatrail.

How soon will we be seeing a Horst Link Megatrail?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Dang! Sweet rig, but I was really hoping this would be a mini-Megatrail.

How soon will we be seeing a Horst Link Megatrail?
It kind of is a mini Megatrail, depending on how you look at it. It rides similar to a Megatrail in Trail Mode, but with bigger wheels and less suspension travel.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Based on what Sram and others are pushing, yes.
*lesighhh*

so is everyone buying these new 27.5+/29 bikes for the + compatibility? not the 29? I'm just surprised to see GG selling this as the next bike in their line up, surprised at the Intense ACV too. or maybe i shouldn't be surprised at all. I guess people really want plus sized tires or they really want an aggressive short travel 29r, the question i have is which. I'm just now getting caught up to regular 27.5 wheels/tires.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
*lesighhh*

so is everyone buying these new 27.5+/29 bikes for the + compatibility? not the 29? I'm just surprised to see GG selling this as the next bike in their line up, surprised at the Intense ACV too. or maybe i shouldn't be surprised at all. I guess people really want plus sized tires or they really want an aggressive short travel 29r, the question i have is which. I'm just now getting caught up to regular 27.5 wheels/tires.
The short answer to your question (about GG riders anyway): no, not everyone is buying bikes like these for 27+.

Long answer:
We expect the majority of people to buy the Trail Pistol for the 29er setup, as the short travel aggro 29er is more popular with our customers than 27+. However, the plus market is definitely there and we have always made a strong point to give riders the option to run what they want. Hence, two settings, one less aggressive for the less aggressive tire/wheel combo, and one more aggressive for the more aggro tire/wheel combo. It's a similar idea to Trail Mode and Gravity Mode on the Megatrail: since there's a Trail Mode that climbs great, it allowed us to turn the aggressive knob up to 11 in Gravity Mode. On the Trail Pistol, since there's a Plush Mode for 27+ that's a little less aggressive, it allowed us to turn up Crush Mode another click with regards to suspension tune and head angle.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
*lesighhh*

I think it's a happy coincidence for designers and marketers. Designers want to make a short travel 29er for general schralpage, and because they're a better option for 99% of non-endurpo riding that most people do on a daily basis. Happily for the marketers, with a couple of flip chips (which GG already does on all their bikes), you can stuff some plus size rubber in that mud-hole between the stays, and go to town on the ZOMG TRACTION BS that sells bikes and keeps the lights on.

Based on the geo charts, I'm going to take a guess and say this bike was designed entirely as a 29er trail bike, and at the last minute they realized 27.5+ would fit without bonkers geo, so win-win all around.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I want a 29r , not a PLUS+ bike , I was hoping for a bit more travel 130/135 rear 140/150 front truthfully , but from what I see hear it will fit in well .

here is a spread sheet another guy did up while researching his wants and needs for a 29r

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-gbMiY245cyiSocA0abzRZBhU32NWmjlvpp38O1gABc/edit#gid=0
Where are you located? We should find a way to get you on a demo bike. You can run a 140 fork, and the 120mm in the rear is tuned to handle some pretty hard smashing in Crush Mode.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I think it's a happy coincidence for designers and marketers. Designers want to make a short travel 29er for general schralpage, and because they're a better option for 99% of non-endurpo riding that most people do on a daily basis. Happily for the marketers, with a couple of flip chips (which GG already does on all their bikes), you can stuff some plus size rubber in that mud-hole between the stays, and go to town on the ZOMG TRACTION BS that sells bikes and keeps the lights on.

Based on the geo charts, I'm going to take a guess and say this bike was designed entirely as a 29er trail bike, and at the last minute they realized 27.5+ would fit without bonkers geo, so win-win all around.
It is a happy coincidence that 27+ and 29 are pretty close in diameter. It was actually the engineer that convinced the marketer at GG that we should include 27+. Before it existed, there was 26+ and 29+, and the 27.5 "regular" size was exploding....I knew it was a matter of time until 27+ happened, and that it would be pretty close the same diameter as 29. With some extra work, we could add the option to make it fit. My original idea was a more practical version of a fat bike for snow riding; instead of getting another bike just for snow, get a wheelset.
Then, 27+ started getting very popular, and some folks want it for an all around setup, which solidified that we would have the option for it. It was planned from the beginning of this bike to include it, and would not be possible to throw in at the last minute because of the space required to actually fit a 3.0 tire.

The flip chips were a way to take advantage of the fact that the diameters are not quite the same. While keeping the fork the same, we made the flip chips raise the BB height back up to the same point as the 29er setup, which also steepens the head angle, and then we also adjusted down the progression in the leverage curve.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Where are you located? We should find a way to get you on a demo bike. You can run a 140 fork, and the 120mm in the rear is tuned to handle some pretty hard smashing in Crush Mode.

BC CANADA!!! real close to PINKBIKE and NSMB head offices hint hint LOL.

we will be chatting just trying to dump a bike and get some $$ the exchange rate is murder right now .

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
The short answer to your question (about GG riders anyway): no, not everyone is buying bikes like these for 27+.

Long answer:
We expect the majority of people to buy the Trail Pistol for the 29er setup, as the short travel aggro 29er is more popular with our customers than 27+. However, the plus market is definitely there and we have always made a strong point to give riders the option to run what they want. Hence, two settings, one less aggressive for the less aggressive tire/wheel combo, and one more aggressive for the more aggro tire/wheel combo. It's a similar idea to Trail Mode and Gravity Mode on the Megatrail: since there's a Trail Mode that climbs great, it allowed us to turn the aggressive knob up to 11 in Gravity Mode. On the Trail Pistol, since there's a Plush Mode for 27+ that's a little less aggressive, it allowed us to turn up Crush Mode another click with regards to suspension tune and head angle.
cool thanks for the reply. I kind of figured it was more aggro 29r guys out there than 27.5 +. One of these days I'll get to demo one of these new school 29r's out there. For now i'm trying to get my new short travel aggro 27.5 out on the trails.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
All these questions about skwatz, chainline and demos...and no one stops to think about why this bike even exists. Sure, a casual, naive monkey will point to GG filling in an obvious gap in the product line, but a more perceptive observer will see through this thinly veiled scheme.

Let's start with the name. Trail Pistol...What are pistols made of? Steel...hard, cold steel.
Now lets look at recent events across the pond in the UK. No, I'm not talking about Brexit (which for the record should be the name of a new breakfast sandwich at McDonalds which causes almost immediate dysentery). I am referring to one Steve Peat, who just finished 3rd at UK Nats, only 0.6 seconds from taking the win. It's widely accepted that he is "retiring" after this season, right? Not so fast monkeys...It seems clear he is really only retiring from the *Syndicate*, as they have eyes for Luca Shaw.

Thus, it seems obvious the Trail (Steel) Pistol was only developed to fund the salary of Sheffield Steel, who will be returning to his straight SP roots, this time on a bike that doesn't suck - a GG/DH (in "Safety Third" orange of course)

Pretty sure I've said too much. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
It is a happy coincidence that 27+ and 29 are pretty close in diameter. It was actually the engineer that convinced the marketer at GG that we should include 27+. Before it existed, there was 26+ and 29+, and the 27.5 "regular" size was exploding....I knew it was a matter of time until 27+ happened, and that it would be pretty close the same diameter as 29. With some extra work, we could add the option to make it fit. My original idea was a more practical version of a fat bike for snow riding; instead of getting another bike just for snow, get a wheelset.
Then, 27+ started getting very popular, and some folks want it for an all around setup, which solidified that we would have the option for it. It was planned from the beginning of this bike to include it, and would not be possible to throw in at the last minute because of the space required to actually fit a 3.0 tire.

The flip chips were a way to take advantage of the fact that the diameters are not quite the same. While keeping the fork the same, we made the flip chips raise the BB height back up to the same point as the 29er setup, which also steepens the head angle, and then we also adjusted down the progression in the leverage curve.

Righty-o, I am way off on my guessing this morning. Thanks for the explanation!

Possibly contentous follow-up: how many people at GG run this with the big rubber vs normal 29ers?