Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I read on MTBR (lol) that you duders are selling the Trail Pistol with a 55mm stroke shock option to bring total travel to 130mm. Pros and cons here? I guess I am wondering what negatives would come with it? and why it wouldn't be standard. #ignunt

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep, that's how I run mine. Pros: more cushion for the smashin'. Con: Max tire size is 29x2.4. It's becoming a very popular option.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yep, that's how I run mine. Pros: more cushion for the smashin'. Con: Max tire size is 29x2.4. It's becoming a very popular option.
Same eye to eye as the shorter stroke one?

I'm not too up to speed on the new metric shiz.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep. That's the convenient aspect of the metric shock sizing: there are about 4 eye to eye lengths, and each length has 4 stroke lengths.

But, son of a bitch they are long. When I first saw the metric shocks, I said "you want me to fit that long thing into this small hole?" #twss

The Trail Pistol uses a 210 eye to eye, 50 or 55mm stroke. And the next size up from there is 230mm eye to eye, for 57.5 to 65mm stroke.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Yep. That's the convenient aspect of the metric shock sizing: there are about 4 eye to eye lengths, and each length has 4 stroke lengths.

But, son of a bitch they are long. When I first saw the metric shocks, I said "you want me to fit that long thing into this small hole?" #twss

The Trail Pistol uses a 210 eye to eye, 50 or 55mm stroke. And the next size up from there is 230mm eye to eye, for 57.5 to 65mm stroke.
My 167 Process uses a 216x63 shock , are you running the Metric set-up on the Trail Pistol ?? most of the ones I have seen have been a trunion design

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Metric doesn't equal trunion, they come both ways. The Trail Pistol uses a metric shock.
Correct.

When Sram introduced the metric shock sizing, they also concurrently added a trunnion mount as a standard option. So, all of the sudden you see a bunch of bikes with metric trunnion shocks, but that's not the only option.
I looked at using a trunnion mount on the last two frames we have designed using metric shocks and it ultimately didn't gain anything for us.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Correct.

When Sram introduced the metric shock sizing, they also concurrently added a trunnion mount as a standard option. So, all of the sudden you see a bunch of bikes with metric trunnion shocks, but that's not the only option.
I looked at using a trunnion mount on the last two frames we have designed using metric shocks and it ultimately didn't gain anything for us.
I understand the benefit of the trunion design over the standard eyelet design . the ability to run a much shorter length shock with longer stroke will help clean up some designs IMO .

the trunion design is nothing new it,s just been reborn , Scwhinn and Yeti used trunion shocks on there pull shock DH bikes back in the late 90,s and early 2000,s

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I understand the benefit of the trunion design over the standard eyelet design . the ability to run a much shorter length shock with longer stroke will help clean up some designs IMO .

the trunion design is nothing new it,s just been reborn , Scwhinn and Yeti used trunion shocks on there pull shock DH bikes back in the late 90,s and early 2000,s
The Metric trunnion shocks aren't really much shorter. The eye to eye shrinks by 25mm going with a trunnion, but the shock itself is still the same length. You just attach a bolt on each side of the body instead of one bolt on the end.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:brows:

Might that have anything to do with the updated-looking Megatrail that got teased on facebook?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

This is helpful because it requires you to spend even more $$$ on components to get the weight back down.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Not 100% sure, but I'd guess it'd be 0.25" (or less) increase in BB height and a similarly small increase in wheelbase due to the fork offset.
It's not quite that simple with the pre-2015 frames since you could select low or high setting. From memory, with 26 wheels, the low is REALLY low, like 13.2 BB and high was 13.7 if I recall correctly. This also adjusted the HA between 63 and 64 (low and high, respectively). The chain stay can be adjusted between 17.0 and 17.5. I kind of always assumed that the low setting plus long chain stay was basically for 27.5 wheels. So that would have you at roughly 13.6 BB and 17.5 stays and 63 HA with low/slack geo plus 27.5. Wheel base would go from "long" to "longer"--no bad thing IMO.

I googled a bunch but couldn't find the old geo chart...so YMMV. Paging @mtg.

Edited to correct CS length

Last edited:

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
It's not quite that simple with the pre-2015 frames since you could select low or high setting. From memory, with 26 wheels, the low is REALLY low, like 13.2 BB and high was 13.7 if I recall correctly. This also adjusted the HA between 63 and 64 (low and high, respectively). The chain stay can be adjusted between 17.0 and 17.2. I kind of always assumed that the low setting plus long chain stay was basically for 27.5 wheels. So that would have you at roughly 13.6 BB and 17.2 stays and 63 HA with low/slack geo plus 27.5. Wheel base would go from "long" to "longer"--no bad thing IMO.

I thought it was 13.2" and 12.7"

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It's not quite that simple with the pre-2015 frames since you could select low or high setting. From memory, with 26 wheels, the low is REALLY low, like 13.2 BB and high was 13.7 if I recall correctly. This also adjusted the HA between 63 and 64 (low and high, respectively). The chain stay can be adjusted between 17.0 and 17.2. I kind of always assumed that the low setting plus long chain stay was basically for 27.5 wheels. So that would have you at roughly 13.6 BB and 17.2 stays and 63 HA with low/slack geo plus 27.5. Wheel base would go from "long" to "longer"--no bad thing IMO.

This. Except it's a 0.5" change in chainstay length.

You'll want to run a smaller volume 27.5 rear tire, though. It only fits in the long chainstay setting, and the low BB height is generally preferred.

The new rear triangle is backwards compatible if you ever want more tire clearance and Park Mode/Race Mode.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
there was a comment about one of the Megatrails bb heights being the same as the DH bikes setting I think it was the 12.7" setting
The idea was that they'd end up about the same at sag, not static. Since the DH has more travel, it starts a bit higher.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The idea was that they'd end up about the same at sag, not static. Since the DH has more travel, it starts a bit higher.
Ah, yes, that's probably what Mike meant. That was the idea with the BB height of Gravity Mode on the Megatrail.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Seems to be checking a lot of boxes:

• Nut sack storage option
  • Room for a martini mixer under the top tube
  • Extra standovers for the well equipped gentleman
  • A link is definitely present and accounted for
  • Chainstay pivot location that hopefully offers "Active Energy" technology

11/10 would bang.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@mtg looks like some russian hackors have messed up your website, when clicking on the Megatrail in the top menu nothing happens. :doh: