Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Good point. I guess as long as you're adept at changing head gaskets and 4 wheel drifts, they're bro-worthy...says the guy who desperately wants a Trail Pistol with clown wheels :thumb:

As for bar ends, I am hopeful they become the next full-enduro accoutrement...I mean shit, they have brush guards now, so why not?
bark busters is what the dirt bike guys use , there has been a few guys who have done it over the years on there mtb ,s , I have considered it on some hills , nothing like trying to tear your pinky finger off on a tree or branch

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
bark busters is what the dirt bike guys use , there has been a few guys who have done it over the years on there mtb ,s , I have considered it on some hills , nothing like trying to tear your pinky finger off on a tree or branch
the trails i like to ride on are often remote and quite overgrown with rhododendrons goat head thorns, and other such vegetal aggressors. as such, infrequently emerge from said trails with my forearms ripped to shreds looking like i have been battling a cougar (either the feline OR the 60-year old ex-milf manicured variety-take your pick). perhaps we could come up with an endur-bro approved, extended version, which would cover one's entire forearm? please submit clever names, preferably with stylishly-place apostrophes, for approval of said concept and possibly a shot at a free set (this is NOT a Tantrum-style contest). i.e., Arm'R; Cou'Gard; etc.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
the trails i like to ride on are often remote and quite overgrown with rhododendrons goat head thorns, and other such vegetal aggressors. as such, infrequently emerge from said trails with my forearms ripped to shreds looking like i have been battling a cougar (either the feline OR the 60-year old ex-milf manicured variety-take your pick). perhaps we could come up with an endur-bro approved, extended version, which would cover one's entire forearm? please submit clever names, preferably with stylishly-place apostrophes, for approval of said concept and possibly a shot at a free set (this is NOT a Tantrum-style contest). i.e., Arm'R; Cou'Gard; etc.

Lol got several scars from black berry bushes and the likes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
[QUOTE="mtg, post: 4182874, member:
Anybody else feel free to keep adding input on shock options.[/QUOTE]

Any idea if Fox is joining the metric party? The Float X2 is hands down the best shock I've tried on my (unrideable, tiny wheel) MT, over both air and coil DBs.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Any idea if Fox is joining the metric party? The Float X2 is hands down the best shock I've tried on my (unrideable, tiny wheel) MT, over both air and coil DBs.
Not sure on Fox.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't own it so certainly haven't put it through it's paces. But on that new transition patrol carbon, that thing is tits. Super supple off the top. Probably the most so of any air shock I've experienced. Like with a coil, I could just about initiate movement with my index finger on the seat.

They still don't make good compression damping circuits so pairing it with an intelligently designed bike (talking leverage here) is a good idea. But that's always the case with any shock.
"It doesn't have any compression damping but it's plush, so I like it"

Who are you and what have you done with @kidwoo?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
"It doesn't have any compression damping but it's plush, so I like it"

Who are you and what have you done with @kidwoo?
I sense Lizzzzardzzzzz.

@mtg any chance to buy an old and completely outdated and unrideabru MT with 200x57 shock dimensions? I have 6 of those in my bike hole... Would consider buying without shock, can be a demo whore, don't care about colors... even in tiny wheel fashion. Any?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I sense Lizzzzardzzzzz.

@mtg any chance to buy an old and completely outdated and unrideabru MT with 200x57 shock dimensions? I have 6 of those in my bike hole... Would consider buying without shock, can be a demo whore, don't care about colors... even in tiny wheel fashion. Any?
Give us a call, there are a couple left

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I had a DB Air CS on my Spitfire for a year. About a month ago, I switched to the DB Coil Inline. There is a lot of online sciencing that may stand to suggest even this bike isn't ideal for a coil. But ho-lee-gawd. It's fantastic.

The DBCoil[IL], with spring, is within grams of a piggyback DB Air CS. So weight wise, it's a wash. And it rips. I'd imagine other manufacturers are developing trail coils as well that should put the weight issue to bed. I'd also posit that the more these trail coil shocks get better (better damping, lower weight), the more people will be riding them. Still relatively new to have a trail specific coil shock made for not DH. I mean come on, my coil has a climb mode.

That said, @SuboptimusPrime nailed it. A coil'd ~140mm bike with a 160mm fork. All over NC, it is giddy amounts of fun. And we have everything from smooth flats to gnar chutes full of baby heads.

All that rambling to say, yes, coil option for SS. +1.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I'd love to try a coil shock but I'd need a 600lb coil so it would weigh a to and I don't think CC makes one.

I'll go eat a salad now....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't feel the urge of going coil any more as my DVO Topaz does not have any detectable stiction I would want to get rid of with coil. IMHO there's more at play than just the air vs coil spring - I suspect the bladder instead of IFP has its effect as well.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Maybe not a big issue, but as someone who just installed an Inline coil, I will be curious to see if a coil sprung shock offers less performance degradation as it approaches (or surpasses) the recommended service interval. I've always felt my air sprung suspension started to feel enshittened around or even before the recommended service interval.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm so confused...I mean I have 5.10's but still drive a Subaru....does it help that I fought with them for 2 years to get a new engine and am still in a huff about it?
Bro cred approved, if for no other reason that you're a better man than me for suffering through the SOA "warranty" process. I gave up after the 2nd engine in my wife's Forester melted.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I've got the Rock Shox Super Deluxe on my Pistola, and it is awesome. I think a coil shock for a 120 or 130 bike might be a wee bit of overkill- but options are good so who cares!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Transition used to fill the short travel, coil sprung niche with the Preston and the first dirtbag. Those bikes were super fun (and the travel felt awesome), and I want to have a coil on my next do it all rig.
+1 for coil optionz!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Also for a coil option on the big Megatrail... Looking at first for Push 11-6, but a CCDB Coil CS would be a nice (and cheapest) option...
I didn't ask about opinions of running a coil shock on the full strength Megatrail.

Because we already have them on order :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I wonder if a Ford pickup is a suitable replacement for the Toyota...
Pretty off-topic (but this thread always has a way of coming home to roost...), but I was listening to this on the walk into work this morning: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/01/25/511663527/episode-632-the-chicken-tax and there was no mention of the popularity of the Tacoma in there. Why is that? Is it "built" in the US? Or is it just that much better that the American trucks that people will pony up the cash for it? Sorry to derail...

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
They still don't make good compression damping circuits so pairing it with an intelligently designed bike (talking leverage here) is a good idea. But that's always the case with any shock.
Hey @kidwoo what is your specific complaint? Harsh? Mushy? I know a guy who can make changes to these things.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Anything prior to 2013 was also shit. Head gasket on every one of them went out and they used a timing belt vs chain. Moral of story, if you have a long lived Subaru, count yourself among the very lucky.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anything prior to 2013 was also shit. Head gasket on every one of them went out and they used a timing belt vs chain. Moral of story, if you have a long lived Subaru, count yourself among the very lucky.
the redesigned imprezas from '12 forward don't have the issue as far as i'm aware; that year was a complete redesign from the ground up

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Specifics please- what does it do poorly? What have you ridden that is better?
At correct sag, I haven't found a combination of volume reducers to provide support through the entire stroke that doesn't leave it feeling harsh. The open setting seems very overdamped (granted it's a meduim tune) for my Turner RFX. If I could change anything I THINK I'd reduce the compression damping in open, running 4 reducers (5?) and use the mid setting for a little bit more low speed compression. Right now the baseline just feels over damped in normal riding conditions. I looked for a Low tune compression valve on line but wasn't sure I wanted to rip into it.

I've borrowed/tried a CCDBA which I liked, (in fact I bought a new CCDBAw/CS but it was DOA out of the box) then tried an 11-6 which I run now and love. Only downside to the coil is the weight. It shines in every other way.

Thanks.