Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting. I'd been entertaining the idea of a 34SC for when I build my TP, primarily for weight. Will have to contemplate some more, but I have plenty of time for that

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Interesting. I'd been entertaining the idea of a 34SC for when I build my TP, primarily for weight. Will have to contemplate some more, but I have plenty of time for that
That’s a great fork option for light weight, if you don’t want more than 120mm travel.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
yea, i'm aware of the travel limitation. what i'm debating over is how much difference i want between a TP and my megatrail.
For what it's worth, I have a megatrail v2 and my REV'd TP has a 140mm Ribbon air on it. The TP is the sportiest bike I've ever had in terms of climbing and acceleration. It really loves trails where you have to pedal, pump or jump over things to maintain speed. That said it seems fine running over things at speed--I was surprised. Anyhow, there is a pretty huge difference from my Megatrail so I think you'll see good separation from your MT no matter what. Just get what you think is best for the geometry considering HA/STA and BB height.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For what it's worth, I have a megatrail v2 and my REV'd TP has a 140mm Ribbon air on it. The TP is the sportiest bike I've ever had in terms of climbing and acceleration. It really loves trails where you have to pedal, pump or jump over things to maintain speed. That said it seems fine running over things at speed--I was surprised. Anyhow, there is a pretty huge difference from my Megatrail so I think you'll see good separation from your MT no matter what. Just get what you think is best for the geometry considering HA/STA and BB height.
What's the rest of the build on your TP? Any idea of weight?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
What's the rest of the build on your TP? Any idea of weight?
Fox DPX2, RF exploding crab0n bar, XTR 17 speed derail/cass, soft insert having E13 exploding crab0n cranks, I9 hydra laced to enduro hoops, TRP quads, bike yoke post, SDG ass hammock...think it's around 28 lbs.

Nope, I'm not jelly about the bike or anything. Hope nothing unexpected and tragic happens to my good friend. Will replace the bar when...i mean "if" that happens.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Fox DPX2, RF exploding crab0n bar, XTR 17 speed derail/cass, soft insert having E13 exploding crab0n cranks, I9 hydra laced to enduro hoops, TRP quads, bike yoke post, SDG ass hammock...think it's around 28 lbs.

Nope, I'm not jelly about the bike or anything. Hope nothing unexpected and tragic happens to my good friend. Will replace the bar when...i mean "if" that happens.
HOW DOES THE ORANGE DON ALLOW SUCH A WALKING BOMB TO WANDER TO ITS WILL ON THE LANDZ OF TEH FREE!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

thoughts on the xtr and hydra?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
thoughts on the xtr and hydra?
The XTR drivetrain was acting up on our last ride, but I think it was just an issue of cable stretch. Hydra obviously had space/time warping instant engagement, and it has a higher pitch sound compared to my Torch hubs with their pitifully low engagement. The hub also seemed to coast quite well, even with 1,000 POE.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The XTR drivetrain was acting up on our last ride, but I think it was just an issue of cable stretch. Hydra obviously had space/time warping instant engagement, and it has a higher pitch sound compared to my Torch hubs with their pitifully low engagement. The hub also seemed to coast quite well, even with 1,000 POE.
yea, those 2 things are on the potential build list. as are eewings.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Agree with everything @jackalope has said and glad to have a personal assistant to answer questions about my rig. Dealing with all the admirers myself has grown tiresome... :busted:

I've only got two rides so far but happy with all of it. The XTR feels like my 11 speed XT (which I've liked over the last 2k miles) only super refined and smooth. You can tell when you're going between the 3 big cogs, but still pretty smooth. It was wanting to ghost shift in one particular gear, but again I think this is just me needing to either adjust the index or just account for cable stretch on a new unit. Disclaimer: bike came with a KMC chain which Shimano says is not optimal. Not sure if its true or if things would be even better with an XTR chain.

As for cranks, I wanted XTR cranks but they were vaporware so just got the e13 stuff that came with the bike. I did somehow pull a pedal part way out of the insert first ride which buggered the outer threads--no idea how in the hell that happened. I managed to ream it back out and get the pedal back in and it was fine for the ride this weekend....not super stoked on that and will prob end up with some kind of warranty but we'll see.

As far as wheels, I've had i9 stuff on my bikes for the last 5-6 years and the Hydras are super nice--no drag, a bit quieter, great engagement. I'd not trade out my torch hubs just to upgrade but as long as they prove as reliable as my other i9 hubs, I think they are a fine incremental upgrade by the boys at i9.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Suboptimus, what was your order date? Trying to sort out if the 6-8 week lead time was accurate-ish, or if I should plan on waiting a bit longer.
My wait was ~10 weeks. Not sure if that was due to frame availability or if a certain component held it up though as I resisted the urge to bug GG every 3 days.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Suboptimus, what was your order date? Trying to sort out if the 6-8 week lead time was accurate-ish, or if I should plan on waiting a bit longer.
assuming you are after a size 3?
i put down for a size 2 the morning after the announcement. I too have been resisting the urge to ask where my bike like a Simpsons cartoon. was told a few weeks ago that I should get an emial about my build sometime in the next few weeks......so in 2 more weeks*, i should hear something on a 2. Wicked stoked guy.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
assuming you are after a size 3?
i put down for a size 2 the morning after the announcement. I too have been resisting the urge to ask where my bike like a Simpsons cartoon. was told a few weeks ago that I should get an emial about my build sometime in the next few weeks......so in 2 more weeks*, i should hear something on a 2. Wicked stoked guy.
Yep, size 3, put my deposit down May 7th, supposed to get a call 4 weeks prior to shipment to finalize build spec, which would have been now-ish. Sounds like the 6-8 week lead time on 3s is realistically more like 8-12. The longer I wait, the more upgrades I talk myself into, and the closer I get to needing to throw some parts on my Carbine. if 10-12 is the current status, the Ol' steed is going to get one last rear tire and some brake pads before she becomes somebody else's problem.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Yep, size 3, put my deposit down May 7th, supposed to get a call 4 weeks prior to shipment to finalize build spec, which would have been now-ish. Sounds like the 6-8 week lead time on 3s is realistically more like 8-12. The longer I wait, the more upgrades I talk myself into, and the closer I get to needing to throw some parts on my Carbine. if 10-12 is the current status, the Ol' steed is going to get one last rear tire and some brake pads before she becomes somebody else's problem.

Size 4 here ordered at launch and yeah... waiting is the hardest part. My parts pile is getting bigger and contemplating upgrades with parts I already have...

Part of my pile:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Size 4 here ordered at launch and yeah... waiting is the hardest part. My parts pile is getting bigger and contemplating upgrades with parts I already have...

Part of my pile:
Maguras... Nice choice.

My parts pile fits in the milk crate. Except for the fork... And part if it is still bolted to my N3...