Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Interesting read this morning...
https://jalopnik.com/the-most-revolutionary-thing-about-the-ford-mustang-she-1839723865

@mtg there are some really familiar sounding excerpts in here. Any similarities to what you guys are doing?

"Traditionally, however, they’re still very labor-intensive to build. This is where companies like Carbon Revolution come in..."

"...Now just as Henry Ford didn’t invent the automobile, Carbon Revolution didn’t invent the carbon wheel. But like Ford, what it is doing is creating a way to automate the build process, making the wheels better and less expensive by doing so."

"“With respect to impact, our wheels run all the same vehicle tests as the metal ones and because of the superior material properties, we can meet the requirements and significantly reduced weights."
I didn't see anything mentioned in the article about how those are manufactured, and considering it's an $18,500 option, I assume they are made with traditional processes.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I didn't see anything mentioned in the article about how those are manufactured, and considering it's an $18,500 option, I assume they are made with traditional processes.
They've been building those wheels for awhile, so probably the traditional process. They were on the GT350R and offered in aftermarket applications (GT3 fitment) awhile back (can't remember exactly).

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
$20K to shave 20lbs off a 4000lbs car. NOPE I'm out......even if I sold 100KILOS of Blow a week I think it would still be a pass.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
a friend in Atlanta owned / has owned a bunch of 911s. I helped him move once and he had these carbon front seats in the spare room that needed to be moved. Picking them up was comical, they weighed nothing. I made a comment about the cost of going fast and he said they cost something like $5,500 moar than the stock GT seats. Each.

:fancy:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
$20K to shave 20lbs off a 4000lbs car. NOPE I'm out......even if I sold 100KILOS of Blow a week I think it would still be a pass.
It apparently makes a pretty massive difference on track (some of the car peeps have done back to back comparisons on the GT350 specifically). Removing 20lbs of rotating mass is a pretty big difference than say removing 20lbs seats.. I'm not saying it's worth the $20k..

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't think the price for the wheels is too crazy. With that package you also get splitter wickers (the fuck are those?), carbon wing, carbon dash and there is something different about the struts. Not much different than some of the options offered by Porsche, though I guess it is just a Ford.

It's also cool that Ford is doing this. I can only think of one other manufacturer that offers carbon wheels as a factory option and I'd guess that they build less cars per year than I have fingers and toes.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
meanwhile, back in mountain bike land..... anyone out in GG world try out that mrp hazzard shock?
Try it then buy my ribbion air for semi matchy matchy 29er, 44mm offset, 160

less than 10 rides, and a full rebuild with new internals from mrp

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Now that I've got about 500 miles on the TP, I figured I'd chime in. Short version is that the new trail pistol is the best trail bike I've ridden.

Build:
Rid Egg 2019 Trail Pistol Size 3 in long reach and Crush mode
DPX2 desqueaked by Fox
MRP Ribbon Air 140mm
I9 Enduro 305 wheels
XTR drivetrain except for e13 cranks
TRP Quadiem brakes
Bike Yoke Revive dropper
I9 stem 50mm, RF Next R Bar, GG seat
Bonty XR4 2.4 front, Maxxis Rekon 2.4 rear.

I really tried to keep this as a trail bike when picking out the build even though I knew I'd do dumb stuff on it. I do have a DH bike and a metal megatrail for real riding. I wanted something to make flatter/rolling trails more fun--something that was light-ish, fast, playful and able to get weird in turns. It was a tall order since I'm about 200 pounds and my job makes me angry a lot so I ride with a fair level of rage and a low level of fucks. So far I've been beyond pleased with every part of this build and think I nailed the balance between capability and efficiency I was going for. My only issue was that I somehow cracked the face plate on my stem. I9 had a replacement to me in under 48 hours. Will see if I have further issues.

As far as as the ride, I concur with others that this thing is outrageously stiff--like stiffer than some (not all) DH bikes. It makes it really easy to hold a line and you know just whether the rear end is going to stick or drift in corners. Despite that, the ride quality is beyond reproach--it just has a certain dampness to it that really shows when you're riding rough shit at pace with only 120mm travel. I think in part due to the properties of the frame and in part because @mtg and Co. know WTF they are doing as far as suspension design, the bike pedals really really well and just mows over small to medium chop with remarkable efficiency. It's not like a magic carpet, and it never feels wallowy. The bike eats up just enough to keep you moving forward and really shines on our local trails where you must pedal to gain the speed that enables those little trail gaps, drifting corners, etc. Got a few pics recently since @jackalope is broken off and now has to watch and document my shitty riding.

Trail gappage
IMG_7969 (1).jpg

This is actually bigger than it looks (probably 5 or 6 down) and has a highly inadequate lander thanks to @jackalope. Never feels harsh landing though.
Frame-02-11-2019-08-22-28.jpg

Despite my intentions, I have hit pretty much all of our jump lines on the TP--some of these I generally prefer the megatrail or even the DH bike. The bike is actually really fun to jump, stable in the air and handles bigger hits beyond any reasonable expectation. All and all a fantastic playful trail bike that punches well above its weight. I'll post more as I get additional saddle time. Full marks to GG on their new rigs. With their line up, GG has pretty much every rider covered with the obvious exception of those wanting a DH bike because those really are the best. Matt, get on it.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It apparently makes a pretty massive difference on track (some of the car peeps have done back to back comparisons on the GT350 specifically). Removing 20lbs of rotating mass is a pretty big difference than say removing 20lbs seats.. I'm not saying it's worth the $20k..

My winter wheels and tires are lighter than the stock setup by about 5 lbs a wheel (smaller, not dentist wheels). I can the difference in how the car accelerates and handles.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
So Pinkbike gets a TP for review but didn't review with the other trail bikes in their trail bike category (Optic, Occam, stupid Intense, and stupidier Pole)? I'm confused as travel and geo seems to put it in good company with the optic, which is what I would like to see TP compared with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So Pinkbike gets a TP for review but didn't review with the other trail bikes in their trail bike category (Optic, Occam, stupid Intense, and stupidier Pole)? I'm confused as travel and geo seems to put it in good company with the optic, which is what I would like to see TP compared with.
pinkbike logic, like the pinkbike ruler, is miscalibrated

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
1574372476296.png

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
According to this video:
they considered all bikes under 130mm of travel and slacker than 67.5* HA as "downcountry". Trail bikes are 130-150mm of travel according to their testing methodology (maybe mythology is a better term).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Trail bikes are 130-150mm of travel according to their testing methodology (maybe mythology is a better term).
Its true. I got sick of being fined by the trail bike police for riding my Enduro bike without goggles and a fanny pack so I had to buy a shorter travel bike for trail riding. Now I'm confused if the trail bike is actually downcountry or uptrail? Can I ride it in an XC event or is it specifically for slow-panned scenic vids with soft soundtracks, mandatory coffee-sipping scenes and trail dogs?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Before PB's bullshit about "downcountry" bikes, we had XC (80-100 mm), Trail/Marathon (120 mm, moar relaxed Geo on the Trail ones), All Mountain (130-140 mm) and Endubro (150+ mm).

Could someone with a better understanding of PB's idiotness translate their lexicon for me?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Before PB's bullshit about "downcountry" bikes, we had XC (80-100 mm), Trail/Marathon (120 mm, moar relaxed Geo on the Trail ones), All Mountain (130-140 mm) and Endubro (150+ mm).

Could someone with a better understanding of PB's idiotness translate their lexicon for me?
I still long for the day when all we had were "mountain bikes" and "DH bikes"... :(

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I’m clearly not virtuous (read: patient) enough for a GG.

Turns out I’m also not rich enough at the moment either. My transmission rebuild and bathroom Reno have consumed my new bike fund.

Kind of a bullet dodged for me, Woo got lucky, so I guess all is right with the world.

Besides, I’m full enduro so the TP talk doesn’t apply to me.

But @kidwoo sucks anyway.

Turns out I’m also not rich enough at the moment either. My transmission rebuild and bathroom Reno have consumed my new bike fund.

Kind of a bullet dodged for me, Woo got lucky, so I guess all is right with the world.

We know that. As another incompetent enduroer, I feel your pain.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The Norco and Trail Pistol not being reviewed together could have come from a logistical point of view. Maybe they wanted 4 bikes in each category, or maybe the Optic wasn't available in the size needed for the downcountry testers, etc.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

The lead time, especially Size 2 (and Size 4) for folks that ordered earlier in the year sucked (and still sucks for Size 4)

If you get back to having a better bike fund soon and are interested, we've actually gotten a little ahead on Size 2 production now, so lead times are much shorter (carbon front triangles are in stock, has to go through the assembly queue).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Now that I've got about 500 miles on the TP, I figured I'd chime in. Short version is that the new trail pistol is the best trail bike I've ridden.

Build:
Rid Egg 2019 Trail Pistol Size 3 in long reach and Crush mode
DPX2 desqueaked by Fox
MRP Ribbon Air 140mm
I9 Enduro 305 wheels
XTR drivetrain except for e13 cranks
TRP Quadiem brakes
Bike Yoke Revive dropper
I9 stem 50mm, RF Next R Bar, GG seat
Bonty XR4 2.4 front, Maxxis Rekon 2.4 rear.

I really tried to keep this as a trail bike when picking out the build even though I knew I'd do dumb stuff on it. I do have a DH bike and a metal megatrail for real riding. I wanted something to make flatter/rolling trails more fun--something that was light-ish, fast, playful and able to get weird in turns. It was a tall order since I'm about 200 pounds and my job makes me angry a lot so I ride with a fair level of rage and a low level of fucks. So far I've been beyond pleased with every part of this build and think I nailed the balance between capability and efficiency I was going for. My only issue was that I somehow cracked the face plate on my stem. I9 had a replacement to me in under 48 hours. Will see if I have further issues.

As far as as the ride, I concur with others that this thing is outrageously stiff--like stiffer than some (not all) DH bikes. It makes it really easy to hold a line and you know just whether the rear end is going to stick or drift in corners. Despite that, the ride quality is beyond reproach--it just has a certain dampness to it that really shows when you're riding rough shit at pace with only 120mm travel. I think in part due to the properties of the frame and in part because @mtg and Co. know WTF they are doing as far as suspension design, the bike pedals really really well and just mows over small to medium chop with remarkable efficiency. It's not like a magic carpet, and it never feels wallowy. The bike eats up just enough to keep you moving forward and really shines on our local trails where you must pedal to gain the speed that enables those little trail gaps, drifting corners, etc. Got a few pics recently since @jackalope is broken off and now has to watch and document my shitty riding.

Trail gappage
View attachment 138742

This is actually bigger than it looks (probably 5 or 6 down) and has a highly inadequate lander thanks to @jackalope. Never feels harsh landing though.
View attachment 138743

Despite my intentions, I have hit pretty much all of our jump lines on the TP--some of these I generally prefer the megatrail or even the DH bike. The bike is actually really fun to jump, stable in the air and handles bigger hits beyond any reasonable expectation. All and all a fantastic playful trail bike that punches well above its weight. I'll post more as I get additional saddle time. Full marks to GG on their new rigs. With their line up, GG has pretty much every rider covered with the obvious exception of those wanting a DH bike because those really are the best. Matt, get on it.
How tall are you? I think it's a 3 long the configurator recommends for me.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The lead time, especially Size 2 (and Size 4) for folks that ordered earlier in the year sucked (and still sucks for Size 4)

If you get back to having a better bike fund soon and are interested, we've actually gotten a little ahead on Size 2 production now, so lead times are much shorter (carbon front triangles are in stock, has to go through the assembly queue).
You guys are still on the list of contenders...

If my N3 dies, I’ll be in touch.