Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes the 26" Megatrail was a different frame. I say "was" because we stopped making them as everybody wants 27.5.

The tire issue was from ironically switching tires right before racing to something that was heavier and supposed to be stronger to prevent flats. Woops. Meanwhile my 2.3 EXO casing Minions on super narrow I25 rims happily got the shit beat out of them and kept going just fine.
I'm sure Nico will do quite well next year. When he kept air in his tires and pedals on the cranks, he crushed my times.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Yes the 26" Megatrail was a different frame. I say "was" because we stopped making them as everybody wants 27.5.

The tire issue was from ironically switching tires right before racing to something that was heavier and supposed to be stronger to prevent flats. Woops. Meanwhile my 2.3 EXO casing Minions on super narrow I25 rims happily got the shit beat out of them and kept going just fine.
I'm sure Nico will do quite well next year. When he kept air in his tires and pedals on the cranks, he crushed my times.
well that throws a wrench into things .

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
i don't know why GG quitting 26 makes me LOL. Guess I just dont give a fuck anymore!

SubV

Chimp
Jun 24, 2015
@kidwoo , @jackalope , and @HAB are exempted from that as they actually have bought 26" Megatrails[/QUOTE]

Dang. @mtg if you guys have a small or medium 26" megatrail kicking around hit me up. I've been patiently waiting for my good old uprising to explode like all the others with the intention of going to a 26" MT when it does. Color or frankenstein-ish combinations of frame components are not necessarily a deal breaker.

Or, anybody want to unload one? Frame only preferable, but negotiable.

@kidwoo I'm your doppelgänger in terms of size. Which doesn't sound creepy at all. I think I remember reading that you went with a medium, would you do it again? I have two pinched disks in my back and am constantly rehabbing to put off surgery. I'm currently comfortable on 16.5"ish reach frame with 50 mm stem and fucktardedly high bars. 2" rise plus 3/8" spacers under stem.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What makes me lol is all the 26 fans that bitch about 26 options going away, but don't buy them when they're available.
The issue here is that most have a good last generation 26" bike that is still going. Not everybody is a dentist and buys a new bike every 3 months! I had the 26" Megatrail on my radar for replacing the ENDURO unridabru VPP contraption, but I guess then not. :(

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
In related news, I just discovered Subaru is no longer making the Brat. :wtf:

That sucks because I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a small truck with jump seats in the bed. Guess I will go buy a Baja...oh, wait a minute....:rant:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What makes me lol is all the 26 fans that bitch about 26 options going away, but don't buy them when they're available.

@kidwoo , @jackalope , and @HAB are exempted from that as they actually have bought 26" Megatrails
Most 26 fans are still rocking their bikes that still work and would love to have those options when the time comes to buy a new one. Guess that's the minority now... respect to GG for supporting for a while before going full retirement.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have two pinched disks in my back and am constantly rehabbing to put off surgery.
We have more in common that just size. :D

I got a small 26 after riding a medium 27.5 and a small 26. I wouldn't change that either. But I like short bikes that I can throw around and heavily weight either end. I really really do not suscribe to this weird fad of everyone going an inch or two longer with front ends (in terms of reach, not front-center), especially with bikes already getting longer wheelbases and moar stability from slacker headangles, and losing quickness from bigger wheels/tires. They feel a little better climbing and more comfy just sitting there maching in a straight line, but literally everything else suffers. If I followed current sizing recs from most of the companies out there, I'd probably have 9 slipped discs from trying to lift the front end of these beasts up just trying to bunny hop and manual. I'm at the upper end of GG's 'small' so they're not so bad.

I've been running 50mm stems on my trail bikes for about 10 years......not sizing up and riding 50mm stems to match some magical, non flexible, written in stone reach measurement. Stem length is a handling thing, not a sizing thing. And with longer front ends and wider bars people are just way too stretched out over the front of their bikes to move them around most of the time. It does crack me up watching so many videos where that's obviously the case.

You already know this but the rear end of the 26 versions does cause the bike to ride a little rougher than the 27.5. Wheelsize is half of it but the axle path from the shorter chainstay and being a single pivot arc adds to it. Handling-wise though, there's no way I'd want the longer stays, especially on a medium.

If you really want one, bug those guys with some money in hand. There's a guy here who got them to do pretty much a hodge podge custom frame that was may more one-off work than just making something they already had the jig for.

Two mediums btw: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=3&q=megatrail&wheelsize=8

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well you have to remember, not everyone buys a new bike every year or even every two years. I still know a few people (ironically, tall ones) that are still riding 3-4 year old frames that are now talking about getting something new and bitching about lack of options. How long were you guys selling 26" megatrails? Two years? You caught the first wave of having a new product so of course early adopters by nature are more about the new hawtness, which would include that fancy new wheelsize. I don't think your window was open long enough for everyone else. It did coincide with mine so that worked. If I'd been happy with my what would now be a 6 year old frame up until this year, I'd be part of that bummed group.

I certainly can't blame anyone for not bothering these days, especially with the pooling of resouces that every business should do just to increase efficiency. But it's something to think about. You guys started making those things right at the exact moment the entire industry was switching over.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I certainly can't blame anyone for not bothering these days, especially with the pooling of resouces that every business should do just to increase efficiency.
But you should.
First the introduction of 27.5 was "all about choice so everyone can get the perfect wheel size".
Then it was "we can only support two wheel sizes, 27.5 and 29 because of costs"
Soon after all these plus size wheels hit the market. WTF?

Yeah, sure! But good to see that the big bike companies struggle to sell their "innovative" expensive sh!t and have to give huge discounts (Trek, Speci). Maybe they learn to not stuff something new down our throats every 3 months that solves problems that haven't been there in the first place.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
The issue here is that most have a good last generation 26" bike that is still going. Not everybody is a dentist and buys a new bike every 3 months! I had the 26" Megatrail on my radar for replacing the ENDURO unridabru VPP contraption, but I guess then not. :(

Exactly , my current bike is a 26" 2015 Kona 167 .

I was actually chatting with GG in regards to getting a Megatrail prior to the 167 purchase ,

They where in WA and we where going to meet up locally here in the Fraser Valley and do some riding a couple summers back . They got busy , I got busy and we never connected , fast forward a few months and my buddy picks up Kona and throws me the 167 on a Grassroots .

A year and change later here we are LOL .

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But you should.
First the introduction of 27.5 was "all about choice so everyone can get the perfect wheel size".
Then it was "we can only support two wheel sizes, 27.5 and 29 because of costs"
Soon after all these plus size wheels hit the market. WTF?

Yeah, sure! But good to see that the big bike companies struggle to sell their "innovative" expensive sh!t and have to give huge discounts (Trek, Speci). Maybe they learn to not stuff something new down our throats every 3 months that solves problems that haven't been there in the first place.

I'm not defending the industry, trust me. I'm pointing out the utter stupidity and attraction to shiny objects the vast majority of regular bike purchasers suffer from. That's what makes focusing on 27.5 a smart business decision. Fuck specialized and trek, I'm talking about smaller operations like GG who have to make more compromising decisions. What they're doing is completely understandable.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But you should.
Look, I'd be happier if the development of mountain bikes just left things at 26", but being mad at a tiny volume company who had nothing to do with pushing that change, and kept a high end 26" bike in their lineup longer than anyone is goddamn lunacy

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
K

I will ask , GG is the 26" MT completely out of the picture ?? or will you build be order ? and what is the geo of the frame and such .
Geometry was the same as the 650b, only with 10mm longer stays and a 20mm longer headtube.

SubV

Chimp
Jun 24, 2015
Let's keep in mind too, there are TONS of excellent 26" frames being made these days. The megatrail just isn't one of them because it's built with the right BB height to begin with.
Valid point. And thanks for your insight regarding my question on sizing.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Don't worry, with boost, you won't be able to do that (use perfectly good wheel sets) for very much longer

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't worry, with boost, you won't be able to do that (use perfectly good wheel sets) for very much longer
Meh. Buildn' wheels ain't no thang. It's annoying to have to buy a hub but 26" rims will attach to them just fine.

Kinda seems like a decent amount of new bikes are sticking with 142 as well. I'm sure that will change as everyone believes the switch is inevitable so then they make it so :rofl:

Lazoup

Chimp
Mar 24, 2015
Denver, CO
We have more in common that just size. :D
Two mediums btw: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=3&q=megatrail&wheelsize=8
One of these is mine ! It still rocks the "I ride 26 because f*** you" sticker you gave me at Moab last year.

It's unfortunately for sale, I love this bike, but..., there is a but.

I've always been told to ride the bike that is going to help you where you have a lack of skills, I suck at climbing, and at high speeds. I have a fair amount of tech skills. When I bought it early 2015, I was going to get something a bit lighter (was thinking Altitude, Bronson :banghead:...) but ended up getting it because the brand is awesome, and the guys are nice (even though they sent me mean texts when they are riding and I can't)

That's mainly why I'm planning on getting a trail pistol :help: for next year. I think it would get me on the right track to climb better and have a little bit more of stability. And I've already done a few rides on 29ers, so I know I still can do a couple of trial stunts and gnarly stupidly steep stuffs.

Also I just stopped smoking, maybe that will help too