Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Well, 2 rides and 30miles in.
Stoke is high. Super composed bike.

After a journey in sizing the past 6 years, from 440 to 465 to 480 to now this thing being 500mm+, it's like putting on a pair of shoes that fit for the first time ever.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

After a journey in sizing the past 6 years, from 440 to 465 to 480 to now this thing being 500mm+, it's like putting on a pair of shoes that fit for the first time ever.
That is exactly what I felt when I got my GG/DH way back when--been a GG homer ever since :busted: . There is probably a near exact quote from me about finally fitting my bike.

Post up your fully formed impressions sometime. Interested in the strengths and trade offs for riding such a monster truck of a bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

How tall are you?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
interesting. at 6'1" the size tool thinger recommends me a size 3 in long. had you tried the size 3?
Hey Jon,

First thing I should say is that where I live/trails here are steep, fast, natural, and long descents with very few tight turns.

So my old bike was similar sized to the Size 3 GG, but the suspension was nowhere as good, and the head tube was too steep (YT Jeffsey 150mm). the size was great all around for me, But I was looking to lengthen and slacken to optimize for the best descents here. The Size 3 GG would have gotten there with HA, but I just wanted to see how long I could go.

For me at 6’2’’, I think I now have the right sizing bracket - 480mm to 500mm reach is my happy place. I love that GG easily lets me adjust this via headset, and look forward to trying mine in both short and long. I don’t know where you live and what the trails are like, but I would go size 3 / long myself if I lived in most other places.

Finally I’d like to add that the rear suspension itself is fooking rad. First time, for me, in a really long time that the rear of a bike felt way better than the fork. Gnarvana is absolutely right. Point it straight at the roughest trail section and air in. Just so composed. And I am even running a 230x60 shock (what I had) only getting ~150mm travel.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey Jon,

First thing I should say is that where I live/trails here are steep, fast, natural, and long descents with very few tight turns.

So my old bike was similar sized to the Size 3 GG, but the suspension was nowhere as good, and the head tube was too steep (YT Jeffsey 150mm). the size was great all around for me, But I was looking to lengthen and slacken to optimize for the best descents here. The Size 3 GG would have gotten there with HA, but I just wanted to see how long I could go.

For me at 6’2’’, I think I know have the right bracket - 480mm to 500mm reach. I love that GG easily lets me adjust this via headset, and look forward to trying mine in both short and long.

Finally I’d like to add that the rear suspension itself is fookingFirst time, for me, in a really long time that the rear of a bike felt way better than the fork. Gnarvana is absolutely right. Point it straight at the toughest trail section and air in.
hey thanks for the feedback. just curious what length stem do you run? i'm currently on an old megatrail (first gen) and it's the size medium. but at my height it's the right size. trails around here are pretty mellow, not a long of steeps or long descents. fair amount of tight old school east coast xc turns, so i run a 35mm stem. eventually i'm gonna get something a little more suitable for what i ride (currently leaning towards a pistola or shred dogg depending on what wheel size i decide on).

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@jonKranked

50mm stem for me (with unrideable 51mm offset fork).

If I were in your shoes, I’d go size 3, for sure ... and I think I’d be looking at the Shred Dogg too - pump, double, and manual those EC roots and rox :)

Not sure if helpful, just sharing thoughts!

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
FWIW, I'm 6' and have a bunch of time on a size 3 Trail Pistol and Smash. Both fit me well in the long headset position. I'm hoping to get it converted to a Gnarvana soon too, and I do wonder if the reach might start getting a little on the short side (since it gets shorter on the slacker head angle bikes in the line) but that remains an open question.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm thinking of unloading my '18 alloy Smuggler while the used bike market is hot. It's a fine bike, but I almost never felt the desire to ride it over my Sentinel. The Sentinel's getting replaced with a Ripmo 2. I'm sure that would be a fine quiver of one for my trails (steep fast flow trails)... but N+1 beckons. I think another short travel 29er wouldn't feel different in a fun way. But a mid-travel 27.5 with aggressive geo (Shred Dogg) would still want to go fast, but handle differently enough to be exciting. Anyone running a similar quiver? Or is that too much overlap, and just me looking for an excuse to have a second bike?

Yes, I probably should have gotten a Smash+conversion kit+extra fork+shock+extra wheels instead of the Ripmo2, but I placed that order at the start of Pandumbic through my local shop in an effort to support them. Now they're drowning in business cause everyone wants to ride bikes, and my frame order is ETA July.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm thinking of unloading my '18 alloy Smuggler while the used bike market is hot. It's a fine bike, but I almost never felt the desire to ride it over my Sentinel. The Sentinel's getting replaced with a Ripmo 2. I'm sure that would be a fine quiver of one for my trails (steep fast flow trails)... but N+1 beckons. I think another short travel 29er wouldn't feel different in a fun way. But a mid-travel 27.5 with aggressive geo (Shred Dogg) would still want to go fast, but handle differently enough to be exciting. Anyone running a similar quiver? Or is that too much overlap, and just me looking for an excuse to have a second bike?

Yes, I probably should have gotten a Smash+conversion kit+extra fork+shock+extra wheels instead of the Ripmo2, but I placed that order at the start of Pandumbic through my local shop in an effort to support them. Now they're drowning in business cause everyone wants to ride bikes, and my frame order is ETA July.
If the shop is crushing it anyway, just tell'em you can't wait until July and go get that Smash & chainstay kit. That way you're supporting a local (i.e. domestic) bike manufacturer :thumb:

Failing that, I guess a Shred Dogg would be different in that it has (nearly extinct) 27.5 wheels and 30 mm less travel, but I would maybe try to make the Ripmo 2 pretty burly/park ready and put a pretty light build on the SD so that its a more playful, long distance rig. Regardless, its a good problem to have.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Cool that they are getting into OEM. Interesting things to come it seems. Hopefully they’ll have enough gravy someday to make a DH bike again. Wish them all the success in the world regardless.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
@mtg ... I saw Hirsch today on his shiny new Gnarvana. So nice. I hope you sell a billion of those.
A friend of mine just picked up a new XXL Sentinel. It gave me #newbikethoughts again.

The thought of a Gnarvana crossed my mind. Checked out the shipping and saw it was free to Canada. Sweet!

Checked the duty fee: $800. Yikes.

I stopped having new bike thoughts... perhaps once I can get over to Bham and have it shipped there...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine just picked up a new XXL Sentinel. It gave me #newbikethoughts again.

The thought of a Gnarvana crossed my mind. Checked out the shipping and saw it was free to Canada. Sweet!

I stopped having new bike thoughts... perhaps once I can get over to Bham and have it shipped there...
Send it to me. I'll keep it company until I can cross the border to ride and hand it off.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Customs duty is a powerful behavioral mediator.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Interesting. I paid no duty, only GST in 2018 when I brought my GG home across the border. That was a complete bike though, if that make any difference. Made in the USA, like God ,guns and guts! Should be duty free under NAFTA, no?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Perhaps it pops up later but when I hovered over the purchase button on a GG no local sales tax was applied, which is fucking huge here. Another advantage of direct sales? Wink wink nudge nudge...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The new website is far more powerful about figuring out what local taxes, etc are due based on your shipping address.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
The new website is far more powerful about figuring out what local taxes, etc are due based on your shipping address.
Your website is adding 12% for BC sales. Generally, sales tax in BC is 12%, made up of 5% federal Goods and Services Tax plus 7% BC Provincial Sales Tax. However, there is no BC PST on bicycles: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/sales-taxes/pst/exemptions

When I carried my new GG across the border, I had to go in and pay taxes, and it was only the 5% GST.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Your website is adding 12% for BC sales. Generally, sales tax in BC is 12%, made up of 5% federal Goods and Services Tax plus 7% BC Provincial Sales Tax. However, there is no BC PST on bicycles: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/sales-taxes/pst/exemptions

When I carried my new GG across the border, I had to go in and pay taxes, and it was only the 5% GST.
thanks for the heads up here! I have actually started helping GG on a few things and will get it fixed right away.

Cheerio.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm joining the list of eggheads - just ordered the most expensive t-shirt ever. Although it comes with a free Smash frame and DHX2 shock. I'm pretty stoked. This is to replace my Sentinel, which I got literally 2 weeks before the Revved bikes came out, and immediately gave me buyer's remorse.