Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
it's the GMT. poop. coffee. bitch about your job and kids if you have them. brief commentaries about local weather and real estate. occasional commentaries about health, cars, home improvement projects, finances, and bike riding.
carry on.
I've been there, but only to make fun of toshi for his extravagant car purchases. I had no idea they were so.........versatile!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just looked at the last page.

Damn dude. I live in Lake fucking Tahoe. Rampant consumerism, tech bro gadgets, and neoliberal bullshit regarding what 'the help' should be paid........I got plenty of. Don't need to augment.

We will save the planet by overconsuming the correct products.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I logged into the Strava machine and see our @6thElement has logged a few PR on the local trail.
Sounds like he's adjusting pretty well to his new Egg !
Riding solo I was going to try for a top to bottom Enchanted Apex run last night, but as soon as I dropped in something hit my shin - I thought my water bottle had come out the cage. The 5" moondust and bitch of a middle climb make it hard going flat out on Enchanted right now :p

Cruised Enchanted and then pushed a little more down the gut as it's moondust free.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That car would be 100% cooler with the Front and rear made to look like the 210 from Two-Lane Blacktop........

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Anyone got any tips or tricks for getting the main frame bearings to go back in straight (with the spacer tubes between them)? I was replacing them for the second time yesterday, and while I can get them out fine, and the first one in fine, I have a hell of a time keeping the spacer tubes to stay horizontal while I press in the second bearing with a drift set.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Can I replace my shock bolts with stainless bolts without the risk of breaking them? Titanium is definitely a no? My fat ass sweats a lot and my bolts corrode pretty bad…
8BB62C59-147E-48F1-A2A5-E02D9BB4F6F7.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think SS bolts aren't as strong? I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along to confirm/deny that.

How about just giving them a light grease covering?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I would recommend using standard silver zinc plated bolts. They're M8x1.25, 10.9 grade. Stainless bolts are weaker and gall easily, stay away from that.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Can I replace my shock bolts with stainless bolts without the risk of breaking them? Titanium is definitely a no? My fat ass sweats a lot and my bolts corrode pretty bad…
View attachment 168298
I replaced the shock bolts with Ti and haven't died yet. Due to the unthreaded length, you have to order both long and cut to length. It takes fucking forever with a Dremel, let me tell you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so I’m at wits end with this bike. I can’t get the suspension to not deflect/ricochet off of square edged stuff and it just stays harsh as hell. I’ve had both the tractive SD revalved and the EXT and it still rides the same. I’m stating to wonder if this is just a result of the low-ish pivot/forward arc, but other HLs I’ve had were never this harsh with a coil shock. I was cycling it without the spring in the picture and it’s smooth, in fact when I first got it I cut my finger because the suspension cycled so easily without a shock in there. I just don’t know what to do at this point, but the bike is just not fun to ride. I could see this working “ok” on smooth trails where you don’t really need much suspension, but for anything chunky, whether big or small chunk, it’s really letting me down.

38022BF8-5A43-4DF1-BB70-E8F452297F6E.jpeg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
When I first got my Smash (and then again when I switched to Megatrail), the Crush/Trail modes felt really harsh and unrideable on anything but smooth flow. I quickly switched to Plush/Gravity and ran compression mostly open, and it was super compliant. But as I got used to the bike and found myself pushing it harder and trying to be more playful on it, I first went back to Trail, then have been steadily closing LSC & HSC. For the MT, I dropped a 25# spring increment from Gravity to Trail (per online calculators, and verified sag).

The bike does have a fairly high amount of anti-squat, which I know coupled with too much compression damping on other bikes (i.e. newer SC) can lead to a strong feeling of harshness on square hits like brake bumps.

My suggestion would be to run it in Gravity, with 25# more than you had in Trail (assuming you were at 30% sag). The Storia / Arma is pretty heavily damped, so start with both LSC and HSC about 80% open, and the rebound 2 clicks from wide open. You'll need the fast rebound to stay out of the ramp up, and the very light compression settings to counter the anti-squat you're feeling. Once you get something that's comfortable, you can start closing either one of the compression settings or adding HBO to get any more of a playful / sporty feeling.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I’ve tried all that. This is where I’m at now. It just kicks hard on any square bumps. :( Everything I’ve ever experienced tells me a bike should not be this harsh and it shouldn’t be this hard to get it decent, it’s like a hard tail at some speeds due to the rear end just deflecting off.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I would recommend using standard silver zinc plated bolts. They're M8x1.25, 10.9 grade. Stainless bolts are weaker and gall easily, stay away from that.
Thanks. I’ll try those. After the toxic salt water that comes out of my pores melts that zinc like ice in the desert I’ll gamble with titanium. :brows:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks. I’ll try those. After the toxic salt water that comes out of my pores melts that zinc like ice in the desert I’ll gamble with titanium. :brows:
My sweat turns aluminum spoke nipples into white powder in just a few weeks of riding, have also retired a frame and CSU for the same reasons. I now hose off even a clean bike as my sweat kills them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so I’m at wits end with this bike. I can’t get the suspension to not deflect/ricochet off of square edged stuff and it just stays harsh as hell. I’ve had both the tractive SD revalved and the EXT and it still rides the same. I’m stating to wonder if this is just a result of the low-ish pivot/forward arc, but other HLs I’ve had were never this harsh with a coil shock. I was cycling it without the spring in the picture and it’s smooth, in fact when I first got it I cut my finger because the suspension cycled so easily without a shock in there. I just don’t know what to do at this point, but the bike is just not fun to ride. I could see this working “ok” on smooth trails where you don’t really need much suspension, but for anything chunky, whether big or small chunk, it’s really letting me down.

View attachment 168317

Rotate it 90 degrees and the suspension can actually move in the direction of the bumps.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hard to say without checking out your setup. It's obvious you've cycled the thing with a coil damper, hold the coil so you'd feel if there's any binding. But I've ridden a few different GG configs and there's nothing special about the suspension that is what I would call harsh. It's not over-leveraged santa cruz u-shape-shit "plush" but it's certainly not the bike. I ride my megatrail mostly in the short travel setting and it's not that, although it obviously leverages the shock less.

You want me to mail you some shocks to try?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It’s perplexing. I guess vorsprung and EXT could have screwed up the tunes…that would be 4x over now. The ext was squeaking on compression, in addition to the normal hissing during rebound.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't you run rather high tire pressures?
Sometimes, best I can say it, sometimes it’s in the high twenties, sometimes low 30s at the park if I’m anticipating huge hits, which is not most the time. But again, nothing different than other bikes I’ve owned.

also, the ext and SD seem to ride real high in the travel no matter what I do. I do tell these people I don’t want it valved for the 60 foot road gaps. But that’s always how they come?

Last edited: