Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm glad those are finally available, but wish Revved rear ends were available for the rest of the bikes. Especially Megatrail. This summer will mark year 2 on my GG, which is when I like to flip frames/bikes in order to get the best value. A Revved Megatrail rear (ideally with 27.5/MX flip chip) would satisfy that urge for another year or two.
Why? Saving .5lb is that important?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I got the email, all it did is make me consider a Gnarvana rear end for my Trail Pistol :headbang:
$2,000 should get me all in right? Fork, shock and stays?

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Why? Saving .5lb is that important?
I wouldn't say no to it, for sure. Better geo (lower/steeper) would be the major selling point - that's the biggest thing that's got my eyes wandering. No rocks for me, so more carbonz is better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wouldn't say no to it, for sure. Better geo (lower/steeper) would be the major selling point - that's the biggest thing that's got my eyes wandering. No rocks for me, so more carbonz is better.
I'd say dropper post, 30%, wide bars/short stem, 25%, suspension, 25%, other misc stuff like fork trail, 10%, slacker front end...maybe 10%. It's blown way WAY out of perspective these days and it's not even close to the primary factor anymore IME.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Boom!

More proof that carbon is not for me. $1200 USD for a carbon rear triangle?! The aluminum one is $400? At this rate, I don't think mountain biking is for me frankly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
More proof that carbon is not for me. $1200 USD for a carbon rear triangle?! The aluminum one is $400? At this rate, I don't think mountain biking is for me frankly.
the carbon one is the full rear end - chain stays and seat stays. the alloy kits are just the seat stays.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
worth noting - these parts are nothing new; they have been what's on production trail pistols for at least a year. they're just being made available aftermarket.

when you consider it is basically half the bike, the price isn't completely insane considering the price of the full frame.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
worth noting - these parts are nothing new; they have been what's on production trail pistols for at least a year. they're just being made available aftermarket.

when you consider it is basically half the bike, the price isn't completely insane considering the price of the full frame.
I hear you. The sticker price still shocks. Once again, not for me.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd say dropper post, 30%, wide bars/short stem, 25%, suspension, 25%, other misc stuff like fork trail, 10%, slacker front end...maybe 10%. It's blown way WAY out of perspective these days and it's not even close to the primary factor anymore IME.
I'm mostly excited because the fully Revved TP had geometry improvements. I'm assuming all the other bikes will get a similar treatment when they get Revved stays. The weight reduction is an added bonus. I'd use the same components regardless of bike.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I hear you. The sticker price still shocks. Once again, not for me.
It's a little over half the price of a bare frame, no shock. From what I've heard in interviews, making the rear triangles out of this carbon process is FAR, FAR more difficult than the front, due to a variety of things. Even though the front is bigger, I'm not surprised the rear costs more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's a little over half the price of a bare frame, no shock. From what I've heard in interviews, making the rear triangles out of this carbon process is FAR, FAR more difficult than the front, due to a variety of things. Even though the front is bigger, I'm not surprised the rear costs more.
i would guess they probably can't automate as much of the process for the stays and requires more manual labor (and therefore time). also, the stays are model specific, whereas the front triangle is used across all models.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm mostly excited because the fully Revved TP had geometry improvements. I'm assuming all the other bikes will get a similar treatment when they get Revved stays. The weight reduction is an added bonus. I'd use the same components regardless of bike.
Jesus christ, please don't drop the BB moar. How stupid are we going with the geometry now?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the carbon one is the full rear end - chain stays and seat stays. the alloy kits are just the seat stays.
considering that I paid $400 for replacement carbon chainstays for my 2016 Transition Patrol a couple of years ago, that price seems to be about in line with normal... I tried to get the aluminium stays, but the Al parts actually have different dimensions, so weren't plug n' play... :(

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Jesus christ, please don't drop the BB moar. How stupid are we going with the geometry now?
Megatrail MX (~346mm measured in 155/160 setup) is anywhere between 5-10mm higher than comparable bikes (Bronson 341, SJ Evo 333-340, Rallon 343, Patrol 340). That's already running the bike with shorter fork than GG sells it (they list it as 352mm in Trail/170mm Zeb). I'm not advocating for the silly 333 Slack/Low setup of the SJ Evo, but 340 feels right for a 150/160 mixed wheel bike. If people are going to be charging rocks, they can either run a 170 fork, or a full 29er.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ever replace a rear end on any other carbon frame? $1000 is cheap-ish.

It's a damn expensive sport, but the nice part is these dentists who upgrade bikes every time the wind shifts sell their old shit cheap. Wait a year, buy the whole GG frame for $1200.
Obviously not. I ride a 2005 steel hardtail.

My first “new” bike since 1995 was the one I just bought my son. A pretty sweet Spawn, for less than this seat and chain stays.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
LOL

noted durability experts in carbon, trek bicycles
In this case it is Trek trying to be more like GG and using plastic instead of resin to hold the carbony bits where they are supposed to be in order to do their job. GG already has the leg up using thermoplastics so should be a no brainer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In this case it is Trek trying to be more like GG and using plastic instead of resin to hold the carbony bits where they are supposed to be in order to do their job. GG already has the leg up using thermoplastics so should be a no brainer.

I think Trek has been doing that long before GG existed. I remember having a conversation with a coworker about it around 2007.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The price for the Revved rear end is not out of line at all and if you don't like the price don't buy it.
I don't think all the folks over at GG are putting in the hours for charity, they are there to make bikes and earn a living. Cut them some fucking slack, they deserve to turn a profit. Do you bitch when you drop $6 on a $0.25 cup of coffee at Starbucks?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The price for the Revved rear end is not out of line at all and if you don't like the price don't buy it.
I don't think all the folks over at GG are putting in the hours for charity, they are there to make bikes and earn a living. Cut them some fucking slack, they deserve to turn a profit. Do you bitch when you drop $6 on a $0.25 cup of coffee at Starbucks?
The downhill forum is the Q-anon of the bike world. Everything new is part of a lizard based conspiracy.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The downhill forum is the Q-anon of the bike world. Everything new is part of a lizard based conspiracy.
Yeah, sure shill... Who's paying you to post stuff like that?

20091104_oldalienskin2_560x420.jpg

In case you haven't noticed, GG is located in COLORADO!!! Do you know why? The lizards can't stand the cold, that's as far north as they can go.

I bet Mr @mtg has a heat lamp and a rock in his corporate jet, instead of the jacuzzi de rigueur...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
In case you haven't noticed, GG is located in COLORADO!!! Do you know why? The lizards can't stand the cold, that's as far north as they can go.
Alas even at my house at 7500ft/2300m there are plenty of lizards scurrying about in the summer months.