Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Whatever, half my income comes from Scott HQ.
Can you punch someone at Scott HQ in the dick for a friend of mine?
Years ago Scott HQ was sent an exploded diagram of the dreadful Genius LT with an arrow pointing to a shock bolt. They were somehow unable to identify the bolt and therefore couldn't help.
Luckily my friend had a neighbour that liked to drink beer and weld, so he was going to turn the frame in to some sort of cargo bike, from memory anyways.
God it was a shit bike!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
New bike showed up. Not happy with the brakes, have to double pump them to get a good lever, not sure if this is the wandering bite point that everyone complains about but I'm going to try bleeding them before I give in and buy maguras. I also about killed myself on the first drop I did because my timing was off, thankfully it was very low speed and only a little bit shorter than wheel height.

IMG_1816 (2).JPG

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
New bike showed up. Not happy with the brakes, have to double pump them to get a good lever, not sure if this is the wandering bite point that everyone complains about but I'm going to try bleeding them before I give in and buy maguras. I also about killed myself on the first drop I did because my timing was off, thankfully it was very low speed and only a little bit shorter than wheel height.

View attachment 170425
Liking that purple colourway!

What brakes tried to kill you btw? Shimano, Sram?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Shimano xt. It wasn't the brakes that tried to kill me, my front wheel just went off the edge of the drop like 3" sooner.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
purple drank colorway!

you didn't by chance, happen to have the bike flipped upside down for anything before riding, did you? xt's will do that. a few pumps and they're fine.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Nah haven't flipped it. It was after maybe 10 seconds it goes back to soft lever, even not moving.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

View attachment 170425
Noice bike. What's going on with the grips?

Ocd triggered by the offset GG logo on the downtube. :D

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
My wife got the ergon mini wings and I liked then after riding hey bike with them, so I got them for my new bike.

If you think that little off center sticker is bad you don't want to set the other side. The logo is offset an entire line width of the letters between the frame and cable cover.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Ha. I wonder if they'd do better with 2mm rotors like magura or the new sram, cause it does feel like pad knock back. But it obviously isn't since it does it even when not moving.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Pad knock? If you are referring to pad movement forward and backwards, when the brakes are locked, this is fairly normal. There is some play between the pin and holes in the pads. If you are talking about rattling when riding then check what pads you have from stock (you mentioned they are new brakes). The Shimano finned pads that came with my new 4 pots rattle like crazy on the trails and it is a known issue. You can open up the spring plates between the pads to help. Will change to something else when my originals are burnt.

I have had really good luck with Shimano over the past decade. Yes, when a lever goes it needs to be replaced. But when they are bled and pads are good then no issues. After a number of rides the lever throw tends to get too long, but removing the calliper and pumping the lever a couple of times closes the gap between pads and I get a nice solid and short lever throw again. I tend to need a bleed when changing pads (including a calliper piston clean) and possibly one more time about half way through pad life, mainly to shorten the lever throw and get a nice solid bite point.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Pad knock? If you are referring to pad movement forward and backwards, when the brakes are locked, this is fairly normal. There is some play between the pin and holes in the pads. If you are talking about rattling when riding then check what pads you have from stock (you mentioned they are new brakes). The Shimano finned pads that came with my new 4 pots rattle like crazy on the trails and it is a known issue. You can open up the spring plates between the pads to help. Will change to something else when my originals are burnt.

I have had really good luck with Shimano over the past decade. Yes, when a lever goes it needs to be replaced. But when they are bled and pads are good then no issues. After a number of rides the lever throw tends to get too long, but removing the calliper and pumping the lever a couple of times closes the gap between pads and I get a nice solid and short lever throw again. I tend to need a bleed when changing pads (including a calliper piston clean) and possibly one more time about half way through pad life, mainly to shorten the lever throw and get a nice solid bite point.
nah pad knock back, it's more of a car term from when the hub is loose or the rotors are considerably warped and the pistons in the caliper get knocked back away from the rotor causing a long pedal. So you double pump the brakes on a car that does that if you're racing so you get a good pedal and full braking power every time. Same symptom here, obviously a different cause because knock back requires the wheel to be spinning to happen.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
So I bled the brakes. Air only came out of the master cylinder and it didn't change the lever issue. What did fix it was centering the caliper on the rotor. I didn't even check that, just assumed GG did it correctly on their assembly.
I took the day off to get another ride in, since it rained mostly on Monday and it got over 40 today, only spot with enough clear trail is a lame spot but it does have a nice little 2 foot rock drop to flat that my wife and I sessioned. I dialed half a turn of high speed compression into the fork and a complete turn into the shock. I think I'm going to change the travel to pistola size and probably add a volume reducer to both the fork and shock since I was still able to get a pretty hard bottom if I landed like a jackass. I'm happy I was able to hit it like 10 times and my ankles don't care.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, said he's running the Arma (vs. Storia). He's definitely testing the HBO lol... cased the shit out of the second jump every time in the video.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The price for the Revved rear end is not out of line at all and if you don't like the price don't buy it.
I don't think all the folks over at GG are putting in the hours for charity, they are there to make bikes and earn a living. Cut them some fucking slack, they deserve to turn a profit. Do you bitch when you drop $6 on a $0.25 cup of coffee at Starbucks?
No, I don't buy SHIT coffee at Big Bucks. It's like paying $500K and getting you a Geo Metro. Go to real coffee shops.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
But instead they will make the crown and steerer one solid piece of aluminum.
As mentioned Öhlins made it before. Their forks at the time were really famous for eating lower headset bearing for breakfast...
Now öhlins has stopped doing it.