Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What if all of us on RM pool together our worn out tires, broken carbon rims and O-chains, would they accept that as payment for purchasing the company?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well, I imagine ‘economies of scale’ might have been discussed fairly early in your grad studies.
Well that would be under grad type stuff, but yeah :p

So is that it? You have to be "too big to fail" to make it in the industry? IDK.

The cycling world is boutique, right? Like us 12 people on this site. That is super boutique. We should actually get a hair salon and maybe work on bikes and talk the latest tire designs. ;)

Anyways, point being: Ain't no boutique gonna reach economies of scale. But many boutique-ish companies still exist. I still can't believe Crank Bros are still in business. For example. But I did not see the end of GG coming. Maybe they took the poison pill?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Still tho. What "killed" GG? How does Yeti, Commencal, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Pivot, Trek, etc. make it, but not GG?
The cost of capital is much lower than it's been for a very long time. What do those companies you list probably don't have that a relatively new mfg does have? Fresh capex debt. Machining centers, expanding facilities, other overhead. Established factories have less of that, and while they likely borrowed at higher rates at the time, also likely refi'd over the past 5-10 years to tie to historic low rates. What if a new bike co. borrowed a huge sum at historically low rates, but those were tied to adjustable rates and are 2x 3x what they were 5ish years ago?

I don't know, I'm an idiot. GG made super rad bikes and innovated (not just "BNG" technology) so not having them in the game sucks.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
GG started in 2012 :rofl:
Yeah, and what significance does that have?
They obviously wanted to grow and took on investors/debt to be able to make that happen.

If it had remained a few guys in their garage they'd still be making bikes, just not very many.

Solid vision; US made carbon for GG bikes and also US made carbon supplier for other mtb companies. It had great potential, too bad it didn't work out.

Wouldn't be surprised if some other bike company doesn't nab the Revved Carbon side and go forward with the technology they developed and a US based carbon production model.

Imagine if Yeti could say "made in Colorado" again?
The fan bois would literally shit their pants.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
can anyone follow a string of thoughts around here?

The guy with the wad of cash is invited in, and is usually required to grow the business.
the business had already been steadily growing

If you start/own a business and want X amount of growth, wad of cash guy is often required.
see above

If you start a business with the intention of growing it and then selling it, this often happens as well. Like with the Alta electric moto company.
Neither GG, nor alta created the biz with the intention of selling it, they'd already had that waved in their face in the 10 years prior

Turns out starting and running a business is hard, which is why something like 75% of start ups fail within 3 years.
They'd already been doing it for almost a decade, well past 3 years

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Seems if you could get 3-4 "US" companies to help fund the cash needed and then agree to a discounted frame price for X years and so many years after the loan is paid as "interest" you could get the funds. Also would keep it within the bike industry and not outside investments....

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
It seems like what folks are missing is that to relaunch the brand, frames essentially have to be either china or Taiwan made, and if you want to do carbon, either it’s going with catalog frames or investing into molds that will take a decade to break even on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It seems like what folks are missing is that to relaunch the brand, frames essentially have to be either china or Taiwan made, and if you want to do carbon, either it’s going with catalog frames or investing into molds that will take a decade to break even on.
It is almost as though a composite bike that weighs pretty much the same as an alloy one isn't going to be as competitive as the alloy one.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
It is almost as though a composite bike that weighs pretty much the same as an alloy one isn't going to be as competitive as the alloy one.
Fair point, but there are other benefits including durability and ride quality which I would argue are superior for the Rev'd frames. Surely there is room for improvement as with any first product using new methods, as such I'd really like to see this technology move forward in the bike world.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They obviously wanted to grow and took on investors/debt to be able to make that happen.

If it had remained a few guys in their garage they'd still be making bikes, just not very many.

Solid vision; US made carbon for GG bikes and also US made carbon supplier for other mtb companies. It had great potential, too bad it didn't work out.

Wouldn't be surprised if some other bike company doesn't nab the Revved Carbon side and go forward with the technology they developed and a US based carbon production model.

Imagine if Yeti could say "made in Colorado" again?
The fan bois would literally shit their pants.
Allied. And charge 5k/frame.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just fyi you'd have to be a fucking idiot to buy whatever guerilla gravity currently is

@SylentK I'm only going to say this once

everything else will be pure ridicule, fully earned

remember when dorkcorp 1, 2, and 3 bought GT and saved them because dorkcorp 2.5, 1.5 and 0.5 just didn't have their savy? When these dickwads bought ellsworth and saved the brand?

Yeah, don't be that idiot

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
honestly I see the return of aluminum in the next couple of years. maybe carbon isn't all its cracked up to be (HA HA FUNNY). but seriously, there's space for a small brand, welded in the US sort of deal now that technology has slowed down to the point where you can get a great riding bike without 11 patents (see geometron or REEB or privateer)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Outsell? God no. Just that not every boutique brand has to be carbon.

edit to add: not even just boutique brand, but that high end aluminum has a place.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
honestly I see the return of aluminum in the next couple of years. maybe carbon isn't all its cracked up to be (HA HA FUNNY). but seriously, there's space for a small brand, welded in the US sort of deal now that technology has slowed down to the point where you can get a great riding bike without 11 patents (see geometron or REEB or privateer)
Like Foes?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not all. Only certain models made in house in QC
True, that's a good point. But it's a start, hopefully they continue to bring manufacturing back this way.

I'm sure part of them being able to do it is all of their city bike type stuff that they do in QC.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
True, that's a good point. But it's a start, hopefully they continue to bring manufacturing back this way.

I'm sure part of them being able to do it is all of their city bike type stuff that they do in QC.
It used to be that 100% of production was made in house. But at one point they had to outsource to stay viable and competitive. Not sure which line or models are still made in QC

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It used to be that 100% of production was made in house. But at one point they had to outsource to stay viable and competitive. Not sure which line or models are still made in QC
There are these models; https://www.devinci.com/en/quebec/

Obviously any carbon bikes are made overseas.

Years ago when I researched this, they had a whole line of city bikes; similar or the same as the Bixi bikes that you can rent in some cities. Those were made in Quebec as well and I'd guess with the volume, is what funded their MTB side of things.