Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Well, sure. I'm a "Business Man" that is in IT. I do have an MBA. But that really doesn't mean shit. Grew up on small business, tho. Consider me a student of the bike shop business sport. Just cuz it's moar phun than the real world. :)

Usually, if you control the purse strings, you control the company Which isn't exactly optimal. "So exactly how many bike companies have you made profitable?" (This is my question to the venture capitalist)

None. (Is what I'd assume)

Exactly. That would be my first point of contention, which kinda sounds like what you are alluding to.

I've spent my fair share turning wrenches for a sub-optimal franchise here in CO. Blah. It was okay. Learned some stuff and moved on.

Still tho. What "killed" GG? How does Yeti, Commencal, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Pivot, Trek, etc. make it, but not GG?

I don't spend enough time in the bike industry to study this, but I do find it interesting.

The reason I put down some things about not carbon, not internal routing, is because I'm so tired of it. And paying for it. And really not seeing any benefit. So why produce it? Why is a Santa Cruz Miami Vice bike Fucking Expensive? It doesn't have to be. IDK, just asking some questions...
Every one of those companies sells bikes that win at the highest levels of racing in the sport. Win on sunday sell on monday.
The prime Sam hill era the popularity of brands and models closely followed whatever Sam was riding IH were super popular then died when Sam left for specialized, The demos were everywhere, then Gwin he made every bike he won on popular at every bike park you went to. Trek, specialized(always popular) but Sam and Aaron only fueled this fire. Then Gwin made YT a household name they became super popular. Then the syndicate and santa cruz have always been near or at the top, Devincis were everywhere when Stevie had his run, Then the rise of Commencal with Pierron flooding the grassroots races and parks with the supreme. Yeti is an OG brand with a cult or "tribe":blah: Pivot has the dentist rep for being Baller and they have the DW link.
What did GG bring to the table small boutique hand welded aluminum built in marketing advantages like by riders for riders and handmade in colorado.
When they went revved they lost all that and replaced it with a gimmicky plastic that weighed a ton, and were almost as expensive as the premium brands.
The sales pitch became 2 bikes in 1 you just need to replace the fork, shock and half the frame for another couple grand.

Bike buyers are easily sold by the brands they see winning, brand heritage, or a bike that hands down outperforms others in bike reviews. GG didn't have any of the above. In my opinion

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Every one of those companies sells bikes that win at the highest levels of racing in the sport. Win on sunday sell on monday.
The prime Sam hill era the popularity of brands and models closely followed whatever Sam was riding IH were super popular then died when Sam left for specialized, The demos were everywhere, then Gwin he made every bike he won on popular at every bike park you went to. Trek, specialized(always popular) but Sam and Aaron only fueled this fire. Then Gwin made YT a household name they became super popular. Then the syndicate and santa cruz have always been near or at the top, Devincis were everywhere when Stevie had his run, Then the rise of Commencal with Pierron flooding the grassroots races and parks with the supreme. Yeti is an OG brand with a cult or "tribe":blah: Pivot has the dentist rep for being Baller and they have the DW link.
What did GG bring to the table small boutique hand welded aluminum built in marketing advantages like by riders for riders and handmade in colorado.
When they went revved they lost all that and replaced it with a gimmicky plastic that weighed a ton, and were almost as expensive as the premium brands.
The sales pitch became 2 bikes in 1 you just need to replace the fork, shock and half the frame for another couple grand.

Bike buyers are easily sold by the brands they see winning, brand heritage, or a bike that hands down outperforms others in bike reviews. GG didn't have any of the above. In my opinion
Maybe back in the day potential buyers cared about what brand a successful rider was on, but I don't think people really care much anymore. RM nerds might have gotten chubbed out about Gwin winning on a YT, but I suspect a lot of people bought/buy YTs namely because they were perceived as inexpensive and it was a direct to consumer business model. I'm not even sure that Yoann helped GGs sales number in a substantial way, but I'd be happy to be wrong on that. As for their initial boutique alloy frame appeal, that may have been true but they would likely just be that forever (ie - you can scrape by like that, but you'll never get to the "next level" in terms of economy of scale and profitability). The problem is going from pretty small to let's say Transition sized. That's a big jump in scalability that requires a fuck tonne of capital.

In my mind, Revved carbon was and perhaps still is the future of bike frame construction. Its vastly easier and faster to make a frame with their system compared to a traditional thermoset or even alloy manufacturing process. And I believe their thermoplastic frames are orders of magnitude more durable than either of other 2 frame materials. It was indeed heavier, but if you've noticed, a lot of thermoset enduro frames are getting a lot heavier now days - because otherwise they can fucking break with frightening consequences.

It may all be a moot point anyway, but I still hold out hope we haven't seen the last of "gimmicky" Revved carbon bikes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe back in the day potential buyers cared about what brand a successful rider was on, but I don't think people really care much anymore. RM nerds might have gotten chubbed out about Gwin winning on a YT, but I suspect a lot of people bought/buy YTs namely because they were perceived as inexpensive and it was a direct to consumer business model. I'm not even sure that Yoann helped GGs sales number in a substantial way, but I'd be happy to be wrong on that. As for their initial boutique alloy frame appeal, that may have been true but they would likely just be that forever (ie - you can scrape by like that, but you'll never get to the "next level" in terms of economy of scale and profitability). The problem is going from pretty small to let's say Transition sized. That's a big jump in scalability that requires a fuck tonne of capital.

In my mind, Revved carbon was and perhaps still is the future of bike frame construction. Its vastly easier and faster to make a frame with their system compared to a traditional thermoset or even alloy manufacturing process. And I believe their thermoplastic frames are orders of magnitude more durable than either of other 2 frame materials. It was indeed heavier, but if you've noticed, a lot of thermoset enduro frames are getting a lot heavier now days - because otherwise they can fucking break with frightening consequences.

It may all be a moot point anyway, but I still hold out hope we haven't seen the last of "gimmicky" Revved carbon bikes.
I ribbed matt about hiring that dork and he said it really did help sales in a very identifiable way.

Mountainbikers are clones who just want to be told what to buy

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I ribbed matt about hiring that dork and he said it really did help sales in a very identifiable way.

Mountainbikers are clones who just want to be told what to buy
To be fair, a lot of people hadn't even heard of GG until Yoann got them all over Youtube and Instagram. I don't think the influencer types really have "fanboys" (maybe I'm wrong) but they're definitely useful for brands to get their name out there and also to highlight the capabilities of the products.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
To be fair, a lot of people hadn't even heard of GG until Yoann got them all over Youtube and Instagram. I don't think the influencer types really have "fanboys" (maybe I'm wrong) but they're definitely useful for brands to get their name out there and also to highlight the capabilities of the products.
not my fault they dont read ridemonkey

I get paying athletes for exposure

just not that one

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
not my fault they dont read ridemonkey

I get paying athletes for exposure

just not that one
What’s your issue with Yoann? He seems nice enough to me, has a big following and can ride a bike…what other parameters are there?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What’s your issue with Yoann? He seems nice enough to me, has a big following and can ride a bike…what other parameters are there?
someone I was riding with accidentally got in the way of the production of one his finely crafted influential ™ film pieces for tehgram and the dude absolutely lost his shit.

My friend got in the way by riding a public bike park on an open trail, with the film star standing on the blind side of a jump. Dude's an attention whore tool. Just like all those other whistler trust funders instagram professional athletes.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've never seen a squirrel or chipmunk of any variety that pale.

looks like the antichrist

can you trust them or are they like white people?
can't vouch for their trustworthyness. also, couldn't see the eyes so not sure if albino. looked to be pure white though, with no headpatch like the ones they talk about in brevard? maybe you should come back east to investigate.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
can't vouch for their trustworthyness. also, couldn't see the eyes so not sure if albino. looked to be pure white though, with no headpatch like the ones they talk about in brevard? maybe you should come back east to investigate.
probably doesn't apply in Asheville

White Squirrels in Brevard, NC are considered rare.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pretty sure the Aussies only like it when they are the ones stealing babies and shipping them off?
They might get grumpy if I go over there steal some of those babies and ship them to you in Mexico.
.... Pretty sure anyways??
Maybe ask @toodles for some.

Those things are from Africa aren't they? We don't get them here.

But if you need babies stolen, we can rent you a dingo.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
aw man....

You know that poor lady ended up being right

right?

Oh yeah. Man dingos are attacking tourists and stupid locals more and more often over here. I had a foster rescue dingo pup staying with me till we could get it healthy enough to go to a rehab centre. Sneaky little bastards but not bad critters. Just gotta remember they're wild dogs not domestic and need to be respected as such.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh hi, yeah this is kidwoo. I put in an order for some bush babies about and hour ago. Yeah.....sorry, but I was wondering if I could change my order.

I'd like 100 dingos. I'll pay anything.
Don't you live in the land of like bears and mountain lions and stuff?

If you really wanna get rid of tourists though you need a saltwater croc. (I was gonna say a Milat but that horrible prick is dead now)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't you live in the land of like bears and mountain lions and stuff?

If you really wanna get rid of tourists though you need a saltwater croc. (I was gonna say a Milat but that horrible prick is dead now)
bears here are pussies and mt lions are...well they're cats man. They're about as smart as a squirrel on LSD and probably less focused

Little cold for crocs. Although they might dig the alkaline salt beds nearby for 3 months out of the year. I'm on a desert transition zone so I really think dingos might be the answer. I'll show them a picture of sethimus so they know what to attack.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@kidwoo Heavy Sigh. Okay :D

Well since GG isn't going to be around much more (I'm right on that, right? Not sure) we can pivot to more fun conversations.

You just reminded me of the South Park episode of the electric scooters and mr. macky. Mmmkay. The struggle of those effing scooters is real. I swear, the Simpsons and South Park can just predict the future, Take a closer look. You'll see.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013

Yt's are still value based but not nearly popular like they were under Gwin, Pierron got every privateer in the world on a commencal the last few years, The treks are popular too, you can bet Vergier and Holl sell bikes, If specialized Brings Bruni and Finns bike to market I would guarantee the current production demo becomes unsellable overnight. Mtn bikers look to the top and buy whatever brand they perceive as giving them free speed and a equipment advantage over the next guy. This rings true for all categories of bikes from DH to xc, road, enduro. Its the cyclist mentality. IMO

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Guerilla Gorilla - the Ridemonkey brand. We can build carbon 27.5 DJ bikes and put out the rest of the revved line up via our well established internet interface.

I'd even think about buying one, maybe, if I got the OG RM bro deal.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmm...how about we buy the equipment and then brand it as Ridemonkey? Like an american catalog bike frame brand.

And "volunteers" would make the bikes. LOL after I just wrote that. But still....

Can we do non-profit bike manufacturing?