Quantcast

Guess I'll be getting me a helmet now..

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Well, it finally happened... I had my first big spill. I was peddling along pretty fast through a parking lot (prolly around 18-20mph) and I bunny hop the curb where there is a slight 2 ft drop on the other side. I'd hopped that place thousands of times, but I screwed this one up and hit the ground hard. I still don't know how it happened. Anyways, I got a lot of "grass rash" lol, a busted knee and elbow, and I hit my head on the ground (not too bad though). Blood was all over my leg, so I kept riding because I'm hard-core like that :D haha, had to show off so I found my little 2.5 ft dirt ramp about 50 yards away and jumped the piss out of it.

Moral of the story!....get a helmet. I know a bunch of you all bitched at me last week because I don't wear one...well, you helped change my mind, thanks.

Ferg

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Damn, too bad you don't live in Kentucky. I love to ride with helmetless riders. I always end up showing them the "good stuff", and make them wish they were wearing a helmet.

Darwinism is a wonderful thing. It's just that I like to speed up the process a bit.

The locals don't call me the Instigator for nuthin'!

"Sure you can do it, you da man"!

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Originally posted by Booker
Thats not the only thing we call you.:eek:
Damn dude, that had to hurt like hell. How'd you end up? Anything broken?

That was the same thing I did, except I didn't to an endo, I guess my front tire just slipped out from under me.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post my little story so others will learn. Thanks for the replies....cocky ones and all, because they make me laugh :cool:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Westy
I am on Helmet #3 for 2004:dead:
What's up with that??

I cracked one falling off a stunt at Monkeyfest last year, and cracked another two weeks ago at Vietnam. Both times I did indeed land on my head. My new Xen arrived the other day. Hopefully I won't BREAK IT tonight on my post-work ride. :think:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
What's up with that??

I cracked one falling off a stunt at Monkeyfest last year, and cracked another two weeks ago at Vietnam. Both times I did indeed land on my head. My new Xen arrived the other day. Hopefully I won't BREAK IT tonight on my post-work ride. :think:
Must be that big brain weighing your head down.:rolleyes: :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
What's up with that??

So you'll be pimpin out in the bling bling gold Xen tonight eh Babs?? I'll have to get some shots of ya.:)

I'm going back to my old Bell Influx tonight - found some new pads for it in my "junk" drawer and it is more comfortable than my Vigor Techfire.

I may have to pick up another one on sale but I've primarily only seen it in bright Orange - would be good for the fall though. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What's up with that??

New years day I went on a ride that seemed to have perfect conditions. I was railing a corder and my front tire found a thin layer of mud under some leaves. I went down so fast I did not clip out or even let go of the handlebars. my head was the first thing to hit the ground. A month later I went down on an icy downhill that should not have even been attempted. Third time I went ass over teakettle trying to jump a logpile at high speed during a 24 hour race last month. So I guess I am really on my 4th helmet of the year. I have a $50 spending limit on helmets because I go through them so fast.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by XtCamZ

Moral of the story!....get a helmet. I know a bunch of you all bitched at me last week because I don't wear one...well, you helped change my mind, thanks.
i'd rather be dead than be brain dead. pull my m'n f'n plug. hopefully a dome can prevent that ever happening.

Originally posted by dwaugh
:rolleyes:

http://home.comcast.net/~dwaughrm/wsb/Crash2.rm

Good thing I had a helmet there.:dead:
awesome vid man, i've been on that long unintentional nose wheelie endo of death a few times.:D

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
What's up with that??

That is one of the most comfortable helmets I've tried on! Since it was on the hot side up there today, how was the ventilation? I've got an Animas and it doesn't ventilate as well as my cheapy Torrero. :(

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I have a $50 spending limit on helmets because I go through them so fast.
Has anyone ever done scientific research on if a $150 helmet protects you noticeably better than a $45 one?

All I know is when you crash and f*ck up the helmet one costs $100 less to replace. :rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by berkshire_rider
All I know is when you crash and f*ck up the helmet one costs $100 less to replace. :rolleyes:
i always thought science followed the most logical theory, so it sounds like you're on the money.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by berkshire_rider
Has anyone ever done scientific research on if a $150 helmet protects you noticeably better than a $45 one?

You don't need to do research; it's common knowledge that a $150 helmet does basically no better than a $45 assuming they both fit correctly. Cheaper helmets pass the same safety standards as more expensive ones.

That being said, I've cracked 2 Giro E2s since November. When I get the chance, I will be on my third helmet in the last year or so after I wrecked my E2 2 weeks ago. Sure, it's an expensive habit but I like nice helmets.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
So, knowing that the cheaper helmet protects as well as the more expensive ones, how does the ventilation and fit compare?

The last time I bought an inexpensive helmet, the fit system was just those velcro cloth straps that stretch like crazy when you sweat then end up coming undone all the time b/c they lose their stickiness but the ventilation was actually a little better than the two later, higher priced helments I bought- the Mojave and Animas.

I haven't checked lately to see if the lower end models still use that fit system but if they do, that's definitely one big reason why I'll pay more for a helmet.

Now, I wonder how the E2 compares to the XEN as far as ventilation goes. I might end up being a dork and having two helmets, one for summer and one for winter. :rolleyes: