Quantcast

Guess what I got for my birthday?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I had already bought her a Tag Heuer watch. She'll be 40 in a month, exactly. Its hidden in a cubby hole upstairs. She gets the old XTR group from the old bike, or I might put the new stuff on her Blur.

But which fork? Manitou Mimute or Fox Talas?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Tag huh... nice watch. I've got one that is a tank... it's about 9 years old, but you can't hurt it.

As for the forks, I'd go with the Minute. I know Manitou doesn't have the greatest reputation on the boards, but their newer/longer travel forks seem to be doing well. I haven't rode a Minute, but I've ridden a Talas briefly and wasn't impressed, certainly not for the money.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
sounds nice. I got to borrow a '02 (i think) blur with fox shock and black fork and didn't think it was all that great. maybe with the 5e and a better fork i would've liked it more. what's one of these weigh when built up like that? it felt heavier then my FS rocky mtn.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It'll be around 24-25 pounds. A cat would be for my dogs to play with. Steel gray ano. DT swiss rims. I'm tempted by the minute but it takes a different caliper than any one else so if I don't like it, it means a new caliper. But Manitou have a service center here in Vancouver, Fox is in Edmonton. I have a Talas and its been pretty good. But something new with SPV might be fun.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I went with the Minute 2. Air coil they call it 100 mm travel SPV. I like it a lot. It came with the new Fi'iz:k Gobi saddle which is quite nice.

I have the 5th Air on the rear. The bike is really good. No movement from pedaling at all even when I stand and sprint. Still futzing with fork settings though. But it can be set for little movement as well. I can make it too stiff pretty easily.