Quantcast

Guess what. I rode my bike today.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
So i rode my bike into work today. I have made up my mind that this summer I am going to commute. Gas is too expensive and I live to close to work not to ride. It was lovely really. I left right after rush hour died down and practically had the streets to myself. I was a little nervous about driving through the medical center (lots of outof towners looking for various hospitals and not paying attention to mcuh else) but it wasn't bad. I avoided the emergency hospital, where the bad traffic usually is. I'm excited. I don't know how excited I'll be when its 95 outside but this morning it was a lovely 55 degrees and I floated all the way in. I'm ready to go home now just so I can ride again.

Thank you for your time. Continue on.

ps. I didn't really think this counted as a true ride report so i put it here.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Cool - I've commuted a few times and it's great. Unfortunately, I have to pick up the kids from daycare every day now, so commuting is out of the question for me.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Approve! :thumb:

It is wierd that for the last couple weeks our daytime high temps were in the low 90's and yesterday someone turned off the heat and switched on the AC... I think we may hit 60 degrees today..

It's nice not having to run the air conditioner at home for a couple days.

:)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Good for you Laura!

I used to commute at a previous job. 12 miles each way, and I could avoid main roads for maybe 9 miles. I remember feeling SO energized and alert after riding in. I would leave early so I could take my time and not get too sweaty (no showers at the office), then take the long way home after work.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
jacksonpt said:
Cool - I've commuted a few times and it's great. Unfortunately, I have to pick up the kids from daycare every day now, so commuting is out of the question for me.
Yeah I figure there will be days that I have meetings to get too, and I just won't be able to ride. I don't mind sitting around my office sweaty, but board meetings, I don't think so. As well, I f there is ever a day that I need to bring my lap top to work with me, I won't be riding. To heavy and too expensive to replace.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Nick said:
Good for you Laura!

I used to commute at a previous job. 12 miles each way, and I could avoid main roads for maybe 9 miles. I remember feeling SO energized and alert after riding in. I would leave early so I could take my time and not get too sweaty (no showers at the office), then take the long way home after work.

We don't have showers either. I have a pack towel and a sink to rinse off in. I'm gonna get a fan to go on my desk too. My ride is short. 4 miles, so it should only take a few minutes to cool off anyway.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Good for you!

I went on my first bike commute last Friday.

I think I am going to make it a Friday tradition (once a week is better than nonce a week, huh?).

There is a gym where I work, so there are available showers, but the cleaning ladies seem to be in there a lot.

So, I just clean up at the sink in the ladies' room (I am just about the only female on my floor, so I don't have to worry so much about people walking on me in my skibbies).

My ride is also short (6 miles).

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MudGrrl said:
Good for you!

I think I am going to make it a Friday tradition (once a week is better than nonce a week, huh?).
definitely. I am shooting for at least three days a week. I always have so much **** with me. I need storage on my bike.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice job - I'm noticing more and more people out commuting now and it's great to see. I have filled my car up with gas only 4 times now in an entire year. That's more beer money for me! :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Traffic paterns in the morning around here are not very condusive to bicycle commuting. I've been riding the motorcycle to work when I can for the past month. Almost as good.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Heidi said:
Nice job - I'm noticing more and more people out commuting now and it's great to see. I have filled my car up with gas only 4 times now in an entire year. That's more beer money for me! :)

4 TIMES!?!?!?!? I may have to take this commuting thing a little more seriously.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
Next week I start the 32 mile/day commute again. I'm actually looking forward to it. Good on ye for gettin' out there and riding. :thumb:
Why next week?! I've been commuting at least 2 times a week for a couple weeks now. This morning was awesome except for the dude in the Saab that pulled out in front of me. :mumble:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Westy said:
Traffic paterns in the morning around here are not very condusive to bicycle commuting. I've been riding the motorcycle to work when I can for the past month. Almost as good.
traffic around here is kind of nasty too. I go through 3 school zones (EEEKKK), a commuter college campus (double eeek, those people drive like lunatics) and the medical center. at 8.30 this morning though, it was dead. school lets out soon too so i think I'm just going to leave the house a few minutes after rush hour. (I have a relatively flexible schedule so it shoudl work out.) Although, when it really starts getting hot, I may have to consider leaving really early.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
laura said:
4 TIMES!?!?!?!? I may have to take this commuting thing a little more seriously.
Well, I live in a pretty small place where everything I need is within 10 miles of my house. If we go far places then Derek drives. So, he's used more gas than I have.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I would like to ride to work more often, but it would be 15+ miles through the heart of a ghetto ass neighborhood.

Not to mention the crazy ass, no attention paying drivers we have here.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
YEAH!!! I would love to be able to commute to work but 34 miles makes it a little tough. That's why I need to get a job closer to home.

As for clean-up....baby wipes are great and toddler wipes are even better (a little thicker cloth and their flushable) :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
TreeSaw said:
YEAH!!! I would love to be able to commute to work but 34 miles makes it a little tough. That's why I need to get a job closer to home.

As for clean-up....baby wipes are great and toddler wipes are even better (a little thicker cloth and their flushable) :D

ooooooo, good idea. I can throw those in my locker too. bitchin'.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
laura said:
ooooooo, good idea. I can throw those in my locker too. bitchin'.
I have them in all of my vehicles and in my gear bag as we often hit the local pub after rides.

edit: I tend to buy the unscented baby wipes too...I don't like the scented ones.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
Bike's in the shop getting the fork rebuilt. :eek:

People in Saabs are a$$hats. ;)
I thought oil was supposed to be on the outside of the fork... :rofl:

I think the dude in the saab was more freaked out than me. It was a convertible too, so if I would have t-boned him I would have ended up either in the passenger seat or his lap.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Heidi said:
Well, I live in a pretty small place where everything I need is within 10 miles of my house. If we go far places then Derek drives. So, he's used more gas than I have.
Isn't it great :) We live in the same type of area except we are within 1-4 miles of everything. No singletrack out the backyard though :hot:

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I thought about riding my bike to work but my wife hates when I ride in the house...something about mud on the carpet and skid marks on the laminate floors. Working from home rocks!!!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I love commuting!!! when i dont get to commute to work, my day drags.. and when it becomes a few days i get cranky!!!!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BAH said:
Isn't it great :) We live in the same type of area except we are within 1-4 miles of everything. No singletrack out the backyard though :hot:
Yep, after spending quite a few years riding 24 miles each way on my commute, and living amongst 3 million people, this life rocks.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I either ride or walk to work almost every day of the year. I live really close (~2 miles one-way). Lately, since the weather's been real nice, I've had to be sure to start my truck and drive it for around a little every other week or so just so the battery doesn't die. I average around 1 tank of gas every month or so.

My wife on the other hand, she has a long commute to her various job sites and she uses gas like it's going out of style. Fortunately the state picks up the tab on that one.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I made the same decision, and commuted 3 days last week (and a couple the week before). 20 miles each way, but the roads are pretty good, nice big shoulders. Thankfully I don't really care if people at work think I smell or not. :oink:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Coolness i'd love to be able to commute to work everyday, would make riding so much easier since it ups your cardio automatic. In fact i wouldn't have to go to spin class in an hour to prep for leading a ride i'm doing this weekend. Oh well, hopefully the leader today is the girl with the nice....:oink: :oink: :oink: