Quantcast

Guess who's back...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, that's right. Back online, yo.

Made the drive from Cali to DC in a Subie Impreza packed with **** and 2 bikes on the back (wife's bikepath burner and my hardtail)...stopped over in Zion, UT to visit Darryl/Derek and see the park...got a GREAT XC ride in on Gooseberry Mesa, too. (Thanks, D, awesome seeing ya...)

Headed out and made the rest of the drive in 3 days or so, saw some friends in NoVA, and moved into our little corporate housing unit in Ballston (Arlington) VA on Sunday. This neighborhood is like a giant mall...actually, it IS just a giant mall...but I hear it's the trendy place to be...woohoo.

Anyhow, it's certainly not Cali and I've been pulled over twice already and it's hot as **** out here. But the job training started yesterday...somehow I feel like I've been in it for 3 weeks already. Wearing nice clothes, going to work...all somehow very foreign to me. Don't know if I'm cut out to be a diplomatic courier or not yet...on one hand, they do some cool things (travel across the 'stan nations on old Russian flatcar trains, delivering an entire modular embassy and bluffing their way across unwilling borders), and on the other, it seems to be much agonizing detail work and lots of travel without really getting to see anything.

Luckily, I should be in on training for the other job I want by November. Although I've also found out that in the Oct/Nov gap between the end of the courier training and the beginning of security officer training, I'll probably be sent abroad to do courier work...we shall see...

Can you tell I'm tired? It's been a long couple of weeks. But hallelujah-I have Net access once again.

Don't think I'll be doing too much riding over the next few weeks, though. Maybe once fall rolls around and things slow down a bit...

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Funny you don't seem further away, wow our alien telepathic connection is even clearer now. Must be because you're so close to the White House....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
You bastid!...you went to Utah without me :D...anyway glad to see you're still alive and kickin...I'm on vacation right now in a place called Pender Island B.C....really cool place small island with about 3000 people so everyone knows eachother....D