Quantcast

guinness

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
i'd say that there are a couple reasons it's better over here (in ireland).

1 - freshness. the keg sizes are 1/2 what the US typically uses, and the turnover rate is amazing. plus, the brewery is in the city itself. fresh beer is all but guaranteed.

2 - the barmen know how to pull a proper draught. they don't rush it.

gonna dig into a couple more pints in a few. :D
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,842
4,195
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
i'd say that there are a couple reasons it's better over here (in ireland).

1 - freshness. the keg sizes are 1/2 what the US typically uses, and the turnover rate is amazing. plus, the brewery is in the city itself. fresh beer is all but guaranteed.

2 - the barmen know how to pull a proper draught. they don't rush it.

gonna dig into a couple more pints in a few. :D
You suck. Somewhere I have a picture of me having a pint *at* the brewery in Dublin.... I should scare it up.
 

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
15,192
0
¡Phoenix!
narlus said:
i'd say that there are a couple reasons it's better over here (in ireland).

gonna dig into a couple more pints in a few. :D
I am so freaking jealous. :thumb:

If you don't recreate that bar scene from Trainspotting (Yes I know that was Scotland) you're a pvssy!
 

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
2,928
1
Arkansas
how come with guinness since they have the nitrogen thing in it and it doesn't release until you open the beer, you shake it up and open it it still sprays, seems like it shouldn't spray since it's not carbonated until you open it
 

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
7,791
36
Japan
narlus said:
i'd say that there are a couple reasons it's better over here (in ireland).

1 - freshness. the keg sizes are 1/2 what the US typically uses, and the turnover rate is amazing. plus, the brewery is in the city itself. fresh beer is all but guaranteed.

2 - the barmen know how to pull a proper draught. they don't rush it.

gonna dig into a couple more pints in a few. :D
Do they hand pump it from the cellar? If so, that's why it tastes better.
 

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
1,709
0
Avoiding the nine to five
stinkyboy said:
I am so freaking jealous. :thumb:

If you don't recreate that bar scene from Trainspotting (Yes I know that was Scotland) you're a pvssy!
Daft cvnt!

:thumb:

Best Guiness I've had was in New Zealand(and yes I've had a pint or 8 in Dublin). So creamy, so tasty! I don't trust anyone in the states to pour a proper pint of guiness.

The Ito
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
ito said:
Daft cvnt!

:thumb:

Best Guiness I've had was in New Zealand(and yes I've had a pint or 8 in Dublin). So creamy, so tasty! I don't trust anyone in the states to pour a proper pint of guiness.

The Ito
i did have a few pints, maybe in christchurch? i can't recall.

alas, i am off the emerald isle now...back to ales.
 

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
1,709
0
Avoiding the nine to five
narlus said:
i did have a few pints, maybe in christchurch? i can't recall.

alas, i am off the emerald isle now...back to ales.
Yar...it was in ChCH. One place called the Boar something and anothe place out in the boonies of the city. Both places had top notch guiness pouring lasses....cleavage, shamrocks, and everything.

The Ito
 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,859
294
NORCAL is the hizzle
ito said:
I don't trust anyone in the states to pour a proper pint of guiness.
Well if you are in the states, you find someone you can trust or you go without, and that's not an acceptable alternative. When I was in Boston, there were a couple guys at the Green Dragon that could pull a good pint. Now that I'm in SF, the best place is the Toronado.

MMMMM, Guinesss. It's what's for dinner!!
 
Sep 29, 2004
281
0
If you're irish, stay drinking Guiness. (I'm proud of being able to pour a proper pint as my Grandpa owned a pub in Gorey, and my mom was a waitres there)

IRA car bomb (kind of a sketchy title dont use it in a bar)

- 1 pint Guiness
- 2 shots Scotch
- 1 Shot Bailey's
 

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
284
0
Buffalo, NY
i just had a Murphy's pub stout, its a Guinness subsititute that my g/f picked up. they're not as good but it does the trick. my staple 95% of the time is Guinness.
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
haven't seen that, but i did have an extra stout export (or something like that) when i was in st maarten. i recall Dump talking highly of those. very flavorful, and much higher in alcohol than the regular. seems a funny fit for high temp regions.
 

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
4,424
72
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
haven't seen that, but i did have an extra stout export (or something like that) when i was in st maarten. i recall Dump talking highly of those. very flavorful, and much higher in alcohol than the regular. seems a funny fit for high temp regions.
I had some of that in Jamaica. Tasty. Most of the export stuff (IPAs, Guinness, etc.) is hopped higher and has higher ABV as both are natural preservatives.
 

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
917
0
cannondalejunky said:
how come with guinness since they have the nitrogen thing in it and it doesn't release until you open the beer, you shake it up and open it it still sprays, seems like it shouldn't spray since it's not carbonated until you open it

In a can of "Draught" Guinness,(you can still get cans and bottles of non draught Guinness here but only the real old heads who were weened on the stuff drink it), there is a little ball of nitrogen called a widget, the can and the widget are pressurized at the same pressure and it is only when you open the can that the pressure inside the can changes bursting a small pin sized hole in the widget and realesing the nitrogen.


Guinness can only really be enjoyed in Ireland in a warm pub with an open fire on a cold February day, creamy and tasty. "There's 'atin and drinkin' in 'er".
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
Akula_7 said:
In a can of "Draught" Guinness,(you can still get cans and bottles of non draught Guinness here but only the real old heads who were weened on the stuff drink it), there is a little ball of nitrogen called a widget, the can and the widget are pressurized at the same pressure and it is only when you open the can that the pressure inside the can changes bursting a small pin sized hole in the widget and realesing the nitrogen.
a friend of mine did the patent search on this; it was pretty interesting.

Akula_7 said:
Guinness can only really be enjoyed in Ireland in a warm pub with an open fire on a cold February day, creamy and tasty. "There's 'atin and drinkin' in 'er".
peat or coal fire, preferably. :thumb:

akula_7, where are you based?
 

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
917
0
narlus said:
peat or coal fire, preferably. :thumb:

akula_7, where are you based?

Im based in Athlone, Ireland, riding an Ancillotti, Peat fire obviously! Bord na Mona briquettes all the way!
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
Akula_7 said:
Im based in Athlone, Ireland, riding an Ancillotti, Peat fire obviously! Bord na Mona briquettes all the way!
ah, must be one of the athlone DH guys then. i lived in ireland from '03-'04 and did some of the races. you remember a yank on a black Giant DH w/ an avalanche shock? that's me.
 

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
917
0
narlus said:
ah, must be one of the athlone DH guys then. i lived in ireland from '03-'04 and did some of the races. you remember a yank on a black Giant DH w/ an avalanche shock? that's me.

Thats me alright, I remember you alright, mainly for posting over on what was braydownhill.com

Pity you missed the 05 season over here was a cracker, you probably miss the Guinness more then anything else. Later head! Keep 'er lit.