Quantcast

guitar

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
I know this competley random but i was wondering if anyone plays the guitar on here as im about to start taking lesson's, also could you tell me if it's hard to learn, and finaly what would be a great first guitar.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I play. Guitar is easy if you have even half or less of a brain. I rock a shecter c1-elite. If you are just getting into it look for a nice strat or if you are going acoustic epiphone makes some great guitars for beginners to intermediates.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
bjanga said:
Go acoustic for a first guitar unless you have the $$$ for a decent amplifier.
you need to learn to play before you need a 'decent' amp... just my opinion anyway...

one day i ll have an orange or-120 or a matamp... :drool:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
ukjason said:
could you recommend me one
a half decent new yamaha accoustic... any model for 150 - 200 quid i imagine... sounds ok and good enough to see if you actually like playing and want to progress further...

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
partsbara said:
you need to learn to play before you need a 'decent' amp... just my opinion anyway...
:stupid:

Walk into a guitar shop and go back to the acoustic room. Find the coolest looking full-sized acoustic with a price that looks good to you. Get a strap and a tuner too.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if you can get one at a reasonable price you can not go wrong with the yari alvarez guitars. Not the regular alvarez but the kazuo Yari. mine is a 20 year old DY66 model.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah its tiger maple on the sides and back....very little inlay on the neck....it sounds amazing because it has no heavy laquer at all its just one light coat os satin that is all but worn away.i had a guy offer me a rediculous amount of money for it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
learn these chords....g,c,d,a,e,e-minor and F. remember to always put all your fingers down at the same time when changing chords.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
alvarez electric acoustic is a good starter

Once you can play something on the acoustic w/ no extra string noise youll play it on the electric np.

Tell your teacher you want to learn "Wish you were here"

Easy starter with a cool slow, easy solo. Youll impress your friends and have fun.

My gf is tryin to pick up guitar and she learned that pretty quick on mine. She came from another string instrument however.

Have fun adn play what you like, not what you think you need to learn. I love the bassyish stuff (tapping etc) and Reggie Wooten is my current conquest.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oh and get an acoustic especially for learning on. make sure it has a low action (the strings are close to the finger board)expect soreness and tenderness of your finger tips for awhile till you build callouses on them.

getting an acoustic makes takin your guitar out in theyard or to the park or a party much easier.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
biggins said:
yeah its tiger maple on the sides and back....very little inlay on the neck....it sounds amazing because it has no heavy laquer at all its just one light coat os satin that is all but worn away.i had a guy offer me a rediculous amount of money for it.
heavy (timber) always equals better in my book with guitars... sustain.... i have an epiphone les paul (red / yellow tigerstripe) that i picked up for nothing (about 100 bucks) in japan... jap made... it s the heaviest paul i ve ever felt... i ll put it on a scale someday, but it feels like it s 2* heavier than my 52 reissue tele...

the back of the headstock is very nice... the guitar is in great shape...
i m sure that your guitar is worth some $$$$... it s sick... bet it has a nice rich bass.. sweet tone yeah... how long have you had that axe ??

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
formermtboarder said:
alvarez electric acoustic is a good starter

Once you can play something on the acoustic w/ no extra string noise youll play it on the electric np.

Tell your teacher you want to learn "Wish you were here"

Easy starter with a cool slow, easy solo. Youll impress your friends and have fun.

My gf is tryin to pick up guitar and she learned that pretty quick on mine. She came from another string instrument however.

Have fun adn play what you like, not what you think you need to learn. I love the bassyish stuff (tapping etc) and Reggie Wooten is my current conquest.
dont worry about learning riffs and solos and crap for a while. i play with several different groups and jams and there are guys that can run all over a guitar and never screw up but their timing is friggin horrible. learn simple bass note/strumming first and work on always being consistant with your volume when strumming.

every chord has basically two bass notes that compliment it for example: when in the G position hit the top string then strum, then the next string down and strum. the top two strings are the corresponding bass notes to the G chord.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
biggins said:
learn these chords....g,c,d,a,e,e-minor and F. remember to always put all your fingers down at the same time when changing chords.
:stupid: and then learn bar chords...

always rock out with your appendage out... have fun

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
partsbara said:
heavy (timber) always equals better in my book with guitars... sustain.... i have an epiphone les paul (red / yellow tigerstripe) that i picked up for nothing (about 100 bucks) in japan... jap made... it s the heaviest paul i ve ever felt... i ll put it on a scale someday, but it feels like it s 2* heavier than my 52 reissue tele...

the back of the headstock is very nice... the guitar is in great shape...
i m sure that your guitar is worth some $$$$... it s sick... bet it has a nice rich bass.. sweet tone yeah... how long have you had that axe ??
les paul is such a sexy shape........

well io have had it for 3 years...my sis and parents went in together on it for my birthday and snagged it from a guy for 200 bucks. he was askin 250.00. i had it for a couple of weeks and played to check it out and from the first strum it was amazing. the guy that offered me all the money had almost every model yari alvarez made except this and one other. he had actually only ever seen one before because they were fairly limited production. i thought about selling but i just cant do it........i would pit that guitar against any martin or taylor any day of the week.

edite:200 bucks not 22

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
theres nothing wronmg with connectin a few chords into a well know song though. All it is is a G played through diff ways followed by a simpel solo that helps tremendously on finger cordination and speed imo.

Tapped guitar is the future, look up franklin moore on itunes or maybe on limewire.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
formermtboarder said:
theres nothing wronmg with connectin a few chords into a well know song though. All it is is a G played through diff ways followed by a simpel solo that helps tremendously on finger cordination and speed imo.

Tapped guitar is the future, look up franklin moore on itunes or maybe on limewire.
io agree but just learning a bunch of songs doesnt teach you anything other than memorizing a bunch of songs. one needs to learn how to fit it all together. one also needs to concentrate on the very basic bare essentials if they ever want to get good. say maybe playing that soing in B or something at double time. Finger speed and runs and licks will come much easier when you have the timing down. i went through that when i was learning banjo got some tablature songs and had some people show me some songs. but when i went and played at a jam the first time i had no clue what was going on and couldnt keep my timing to save my ass. i could play 15 songs after having it for one month but i couldnt play them with anyone at all.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
biggins said:
i would pit that guitar against any martin or taylor any day of the week.
wow... must be awesome... yeah, never sell that one... martins are so nice... the nicest guitar i ve ever played was a custom one off made by this guy - scott wise - he lives in S/W australia.. builds from all home grown hardwoods.. it belonged to my friend brad... brad also has a nice martin (forget which model but i was about 1800 - 2000 dollars ozzy)... anyway this scott wise ---- http://www.scottwise.net/html/guitars.html

was a guitar brad won at the bridgetown blues fest.. lucky bastid... meant to be worth 4 - 5K aussie and it sounds so great it almost plays itself... god he is a lucky prick to win such a nice guitar...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
jarrah, marria and wandoo are all local timbers that are pretty unique local hardwoods... such an awesome guitar... i bet ya wouldn t get any change from 5K for that bastid... the main darkwood here is jarrah...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Ted Green's Chord Chemistry is the bible on learning how scale tones work and triads and harmony theory. Unless you just want to play wanker three-chord rock. The Berklee books are great for learning all the scales in all 5 positions and tetrachords, so you're not glued to the pentatonic scale with 2 fingers like 95% of guitar players.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
jaydee said:
so you're not glued to the pentatonic scale with 2 fingers like 95% of guitar players.
I think this thead is over his head now. Good stuff to remember if you get into it a bit though.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
ignore everything above.

By the cheapest guitar you can find that REMAINS IN TUNE. Go to a guitar shop. Find one you like the sound of, regardless of the brand. ENSURE IT WILL REMAIN IN TUNE.

Take lessons. Practice. A LOT.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
MMike said:
ignore everything above.

By the cheapest guitar you can find that REMAINS IN TUNE. Go to a guitar shop. Find one you like the sound of, regardless of the brand. ENSURE IT WILL REMAIN IN TUNE.

Take lessons. Practice. A LOT.
yep. and start playing with other people as soon as you can.