Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Can anyone else smell that? Anyone? It's the smell of Dan-O getting owned..
Am I?
If you jump to ~1:10 in this video Parkland student David Hogg mirrors what I've stated is reasonable to me.
That being, if you pass a background check to ensure you're not a felon/mentally ill/wife beater, you should be able to own anything you want (as defined under existing law).

FULL DISCLOSURE/ RM HONESTY ALERT!!!!!!: THIS IS A LINK TO A BULLSHIT GUN NUT WEBSITE CALLED FOX NEWS
AS FAR AS I KNOW THIS IS THE ACTUAL DAVID HOGG SPEAKING HIS OWN THOUGHTS, THOUGH HE MAY BE INFLUENCED BY, OR BE, AN ACTUAL RUSSIAN TROLL.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
A couple things.

- I have avoided this thread lately as it is clearly getting out of hand. Many of us hereabouts need to step back and take a deep breath and realize that we are all on the same side, we just have differing angles of approach. No one has advocated for the mass slaughter of innocents, and no one has, to my knowledge, advocated for the complete and total removal of guns from our society.

- @dan-o , my advice to you is to lighten up on the switch a bit. It sounds to me as if you are responsible, well trained/practiced and a good representative of the type of gun owner/user that we need in our country. Getting defensive and hostile because your panties got wadded up a touch because of something someone said on the Monkey does nothing for your cause. I am a gun owner, and I carried them professionally for over 25 years...and I am very proficient in my warrior tasks and drills, to include google-fu...yet I also learned to take a deep breath and refuckinglax a few years ago, and the doctor says it will add years to my life.

- At the rest of yous guys, lighten up on dan, and reflect on what you can do locally and nationally to help solve the problem of gun violence everywhere. Bitching at some guy on the interweb isn't going to solve the problem, and only serves to drive people further away.

- To all of us, realize that we are all in this together, and that yelling at each other does nothing to solve the problem. All it does it build walls and enmity, fostering anger and hate. Realize that the true goal is keeping weapons out of the hands of those who wish to do harm to innocents and not those who wish to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Namaste bitches...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Honest question, because I truly do not understand. If you’re not killing your food or shooting for sport (and beyond the fact that an ammendment to our constitution from 200+ years ago says you *can* have one), why would you want a gun? And I type this as someone who has both shot guns and lost multiple loved ones to them. Does it honestly make you feel safer? And, if so, what type of gun makes you feel safer? If it’s not an AR, etc., why should anyone else have one? Where’s the line? If semi automatic is legal, hell, why shouldn’t fully automatic be?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
- To all of us, realize that we are all in this together, and that yelling at each other does nothing to solve the problem. All it does it build walls and enmity, fostering anger and hate. Realize that the true goal is keeping weapons out of the hands of those who wish to do harm to innocents and not those who wish to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Namaste bitches...
The problem though is that one day the person may own weapons to protect themselves, and on the next day they may "snap" and use those same weapons to kill others. We act like we can "control" humans behaviors to an extent that is simply not possible. As sane and intelligent as you both seem, tomorrow you may not be, and in that case, you have weapons that make killing easy. That's the reality (not that you guys are killers because you have weapons, but that in general, the population can not be trusted with them).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Honest question, because I truly do not understand. If you’re not killing your food or shooting for sport (and beyond the fact that an ammendment to our constitution from 200+ years ago says you *can* have one), why would you want a gun? And I type this as someone who has both shot guns and lost multiple loved ones to them. Does it honestly make you feel safer? And, if so, what type of gun makes you feel safer? If it’s not an AR, etc., why should anyone else have one? Where’s the line? If semi automatic is legal, hell, why shouldn’t fully automatic be?
I own guns as others own tools. They were part of my professional life, and I used them to maintain proficiency in the occupation I was engaged in at the time, and as an interesting, challenging and fun sideline. As to why I would want one, I do not anymore. The thing that makes me keep them is preventing others from having them, and the fact that some are worth far more than I could get for them. I have contemplated turning them into tools ( https://rawtools.org/ ) and or simply having them destroyed, but that idea is tabled for now.

I do not cling to the Constitution, as I feel that there are those who cherry pick what they want to from it, and ignore the rest. I do appreciate the brilliance of those who wrote a document with the full knowledge and anticipation that it should/could be changes in the future, but they also were not dealing with many of the issues that we grapple with today.

I have never lost a loved one to gun violence, but know many who have. I do not believe that a gun would protect me from such a fate, but I appreciate those who hold such an idea dear. I do however, have an incredible and awesome appreciation for simple human life, and I understand the fact that that tiny projectile, when it leaves the barrel of your gun at anywhere from 800-something feet per second to 1400 something feet per second, cause so much damage and often irreparable harm to so many other humans, and not always the bad ones. I do not like this fact.

I have big, somewhat aggressive and territorial dogs, and good locks on my doors and windows. They make me feel safe. Along with a bit of common sense that keeps me from engaging in stupid shit and going places that I shouldn't.

One of the most intimidating sounds in the world is the sound of a shotgun racking a round. The fact that bird shot is small and doesnt travel/penetrate like a 9mm will makes it a safe and relatively sane weapon for defense. Hear something in the house that you shouldnt hear? Send the dogs and rack a round, very obviously and loudly proclaim to the invader "Take the tv or whatever, but come up these stairs/down this hallway and you will regret it..." Meanwhile, shine a bright light at the person(s), grab the phone and call 911, tell them who/where you are and what is happening and what you are doing. Confronting and possibly killing another being over material possessions is simply, to me, not worth it. Protecting my loved ones is, and insurance will buy you a new idiot box.

Automatics are fun to shoot, expensive and dirty. They are not for those who reject training and want them as penis extenders. The worst part about shooting them was always cleaning them, and that in itself almost keep s me away from them. That combined with the fact that those who immerse themselves in gun culture are normally not my type. Buy a damn MMA shirt and act cool if you want, but I am usually sure that there are better things to spend stupid amounts of money on...like mountain bikes, beer and concerts.

I have hunted, but now I prefer hunting with my camera and to be frank, I am too lazy to hunt.

But I digress...hockey game and post game beers have me needing sleep...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Warren Burger.jpg
The problem though is that one day the person may own weapons to protect themselves, and on the next day they may "snap" and use those same weapons to kill others. We act like we can "control" humans behaviors to an extent that is simply not possible. As sane and intelligent as you both seem, tomorrow you may not be, and in that case, you have weapons that make killing easy. That's the reality (not that you guys are killers because you have weapons, but that in general, the population can not be trusted with them).
I could support an Aussie like overall banning and turning in of guns...but you know good and well that would never fly in this country. Germany makes it tough to own, they make it really difficult and those who do are (normally) supremely well trained and competent with weapons, but they are also mandated to keep them at shooting ranges, or if at the home they are subject to inspection at any any time. Another move that would never fly here. Our problem arose when clowns like LaPierre and Loesch starting telling people it was a holy thing, and people actually believed them. The hook was set and the fish was on...

Indeed, much of the general population cannot be trusted, and there are those who simply should not own anything more dangerous than a paperclip. But Pandoras box was opened long ago, and it is hard to put things back in...short of a plague or zombiepocalypse we are screwed.
I would like it if Hollywood and video game companies would stop making weapons usage so sterile and sanitized, and stop the glorification of gun use, but thats just me.

And then there are our elected officials and those who pour money into their accounts in order to get their cooperation.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
But, but...... Technically he was a good man holding a gun!
Do you think this'll make all those about to be armed teachers feel even more biggly safe?

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-police-shoot-man-who-disarmed-possible-12704202.php?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=Chron_morning%20headlines
This is EXACTLY what I have theorized for years would happen if concealed or open carry were to become law. The thought of shooting the wrong person in such a situation used to give me nightmares...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is EXACTLY what I have theorized for years would happen if concealed or open carry were to become law. The thought of shooting the wrong person in such a situation used to give me nightmares...
i can't remember which shooting it was (unsurprising) but in the aftermath the media interviewed someone that had a concealed sidearm, and chose not to try and interject himself (not that he was in the immediate proximity) because he rightly knew that the second that he drew is sidearm he would have made himself a target for the police (who would have had no way to determine whether or not he was the shooter or a GGWAG).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i can't remember which shooting it was (unsurprising) but in the aftermath the media interviewed someone that had a concealed sidearm, and chose not to try and interject himself (not that he was in the immediate proximity) because he rightly knew that the second that he drew is sidearm he would have made himself a target for the police (who would have had no way to determine whether or not he was the shooter or a GGWAG).
It took the police a bunch of extra hours to identify a suspect via CCTV after a shooting at a Walmart in Denver last year because of all the randoms who pulled out their freedum shooters.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@dan-o is from the South. He grew up shooting,, has guns and still shoots when they go camping (mentioned it a while back). At a certain point, that has integrated into the society's culture. Taking that away can be seen as a direct attack on said culture. That is what we see differently.
Literally every thing you said there applies to me too. Including the shooting while camping.

You already know my stance. Incest and slavery were probably part of my culture too but that doesn't mean it's not 2018 in america. Time's is different.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
they don't come with white ten gallon cowboy hats?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Makes about as much sense as a drive-thru ATM here that had brail on the keypad.

A metals instructor once told us a horror story about a blind student determined to solder. I don't remember the details, and I'm good with that.

Definitely going to mention this one to my Dad. See what he thinks.

Hey why they're at in Iowa, maybe they'll start issuing driver's licenses to the blind. Can't be any worse than a texting teenager.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Only in the US:

Guns for drunks in bars.
Guns for the mentally ill.
Guns for preachers.
Guns for teachers.
and now, Guns for the blind.

What least obvious demographic will get right with some artillery next. All I have to do is wake up tomorrow and read the news to find out who gets a fresh dose of Freedumb™. Yee Haa !!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Dick’s Sporting Goods will stop selling assault-style rifles

Following the mass shooting at a Florida high school, one of the nation's largest sporting goods stores announced Wednesday that it will enact tougher gun sale restrictions — including no longer selling assault-style rifles.

Saying "thoughts and prayers are not enough," Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward Stack announced several gun sale restrictions at its over 600 nationwide chains.

"We don't want to be a part of this story any longer," Stack told NBC News in an interview. "We were so disturbed and saddened by what happened down there and watching those kids be so brave to walk out of that school and start to organized for gun reform... if they can be that brave then we can be that brave too."

"We don't want to be a part of this story any longer"

The chain will stop selling assault-style rifles, end the sale of firearms to buyers under 21 (up from federal minimum age of 18), stop selling high-capacity magazines and continue to never sell controversial bump stocks, the company said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/dick-s-sporting-goods-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles-n851881