Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
[devil's advocate]
do you think the shooter in the TX church would have killed more parishioners had he not been shot by the guard?
Perhaps, though I won't pretend to understand the thinking of a guy who opens fire on people at sunday worship. Something that has happened here. Either way, nothing says "texas" more than a shootout during communion. "This is my blood, given for thee, when you pry it from my cold DEAD HANDS!". Seems safest to just not go to church. Maybe churches just need more thoughts and prayers?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
[devil's advocate]
do you think the shooter in the TX church would have killed more parishioners had he not been shot by the guard?
Maybe, in a crowded room or at close quarters it can be easier to disarm someone hand to hand. Throw a bible at his face and then go for the weapon/disable them. Plus they had a shotgun, not the most efficient for killing a bunch of people fast. The idea that less people get shot when there are more guns is fucking insane.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The idea that less people get shot when there are more guns is fucking insane.
I don't disagree but I was asking if it would have been worse.
I just watched the video again. The gunman was shot in like 3 seconds after firing his shotgun. That response surely saved people in the church.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yes. Thank you for confirming what I just said when you quoted me.
I just dont think you fully understand how ridiculously dumb/stupid that whole situation is..
HE SHOULDNT HAVE HAD TO IN THE FIRST PLACE!!
Dude. I agree with you.
The fact is America is FULL of guns, and this is a horrible event that, like it or not, could have been more horrible. Two wrongs don't make any right, but I for one am glad somebody killed the shooter before he shot more church-goers.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I had already deleted my caps cause it looked rude and I didnt mean it like that. :D

But yes the US is full of guns. And the only thing people are doing about it is adding more of them.
Its litterally the dumbest thing you can do and it is only gonna make things worse.

But yeah I guess its a small price to pay for a lot of people there who want to shoot guns.
Although a believe its a minority these days, the NRA will make sure their voices are heard.
And its incidents like this one and the people that use it as an example that will confirm the silly id that adding more guns is somehow gonna save you.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Both the pastor and the mayor both thanked the armed parishioners for saving lives within hours of that shooting.
Like it or not this is a textbook case of "a good guy with a gun" scenario.
He was part of a security squad, former military, and iirc, volunteer deputy. He's not just a "citizen with a gun".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
He was part of a security squad, former military, and iirc, volunteer deputy. He's not just a "citizen with a gun".
I'm not sure about the "security squad", but the article I read stated he was a gun-range owner and gun trainer. Highly trained/practiced. That's his life evidently, practicing shooting. Great if you are that proficient, but I like to do other things, like ride bikes. Living in fear, we could all practice hours a day with guns too. Utopia?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
what's your point? that he was trained?
He's being touted as "an armed citizen stoping crime". He's a complete outlier as someone who knows how to handle a situation like that, is accurate, and properly trained. Most people are realistically not able to handle that type of situation, not having the training and accuracy to end it that quickly.

What he did was amazing; it's a really good thing he was there. But take into consideration why does a person feel they need an armed security squad at a church?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
He's being touted as "an armed citizen stoping crime". He's a complete outlier as someone who knows how to handle a situation like that, is accurate, and properly trained. Most people are realistically not able to handle that type of situation, not having the training and accuracy to end it that quickly.

What he did was amazing; it's a really good thing he was there. But take into consideration why does a person feel they need an armed security squad at a church?
Out of curiosity, what percentage of criminal shooters are 'properly trained'?

How many rounds per year do you think the average police officer shoots?

As for your last question, why do we need armed security anywhere?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
To the last question: In general, "armed security" offers more risk than reward.
I generally agree with you and am not of the 'more guns in public, the better' crowd, though I just bought another carry gun yesterday.

When people say they don't understand why armed security is needed at X (churches, schools, movie theaters, festivals) but are OK with it at Y (banks, jewelry stores, for 'important' people) I'm just curious as to why.

In any event, it's been entertaining watching both sides using/perverting the TX shooting to suit their agendas.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'd guess that 100% of the gun owners I know shoot often & are proficient. I have active police friends who don't shoot as often as I do by a large margin.

@stoney 's comment about the church guard being a complete outlier surprised me. Based on my own experience people like him are not the exception but the rule.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Lol @dan-o I haven’t seen an armed security guard at a bank or jewelry store since I was a kid in the 70s.
Well that settles it.

Local BoA branch 1 mile from my house: armed guard
Luxury jewelers/retailers in Boston: armed guards
Movie theater at mall: armed guards and/or cops.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd guess that 100% of the gun owners I know shoot often & are proficient. I have active police friends who don't shoot as often as I do by a large margin.

@stoney 's comment about the church guard being a complete outlier surprised me. Based on my own experience people like him are not the exception but the rule.
That's my experience too.
I know cops who shoot under 100rds/yr, basically the minimum to qualify.
Last time I took my sons shooting they blew threw 1k by themselves lol.

Picked up at p365.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

You fall under enthusiast crowd though...

As for PD, last time I went shooting, which was a long time ago, we got into a game of target with four SF-area PD officers. I don't shoot, or at least haven't regularly since I was probably 15/16. Out to 20yds with the hand gun I was more accurate and with the rifle I was more accurate at all distances. Skeet shooting at a friend's vineyard in Sonoma was the same. I have very little confidence in the accuracy of most PD...

The people I have interacted with in GA, FL, and ID (all family locations) churches were more confidence than competency. The only person I ever met who met the classification you are referring to (bible thumper/gun guy, but enthusiast), and the guy I learned to shoot from, was a competitive shooter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
psshh so what

good guy with a gun just got a point

His points count as 100.

Oh wait that still doesn't add up.

Okay new rules, good guy with a gun point counts as 200 points.

because good guy with a gun? If not, good guy with a gun. So nyeah

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Kevin I recently saw a headline that some states are considering creating safe places for guns. Seriously.

Our elected officials were quite swift in taking action to address the vaping/lung disease/teen smoking issue. But when it comes to protecting children from guns, they shrug their shoulders and proclaim that nothing can be done. Only in this country, guns are placed above the lives of children. Sandy Hook was the point of no return. Fuck yeah ‘Murica.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Emotion > Rationale
You have a solid grasp of what drives gun control legislation.

There are already myriad laws in place to limit the TX shooters access to guns. As criminals everywhere show, laws don’t apply to them.

Emotion calls for more laws which don’t address the demographic causing harm.

This guy, like most responsible for gun violence (50% of those arrested in DC on weapons related charges have previous gun violations), shouldn’t be walking the streets among us given his history.

You can thank another emotional response for that. #justicereform

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
white supremacist gun men protesting their white supremacist governor put into office by white liberals and people of color....

i did not see that headline anywhere....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so what's everybody's take on the protests and regulations going on in virginia? I try and stay away from gun chats because I have my strong opinions and others have theirs, but I'm wondering if this is the Dems giving the GOP their just deserts for the past years of monopolizing governments in all three branches and gerrymandering at every chance they got, or if they are truly overstepping their bounds. It sounds a lot to me like the inverse of all the anti-abortion nonsense happening in the south