Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Guns became the leading cause of death among children and teens in 2020, killing more people ages 1 to 19 in the U.S. than vehicle crashes, drugs overdoses or cancer.

More than 4,300 died of firearm-related injuries that year — a 29 percent increase from 2019
but car accidents......wait

flu kills more people

his laptop!

wait

be right back, gotta see which one we use here..... I think it's a benghazi but need to double check

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Zero days since........

Crosspostable to the "not about race" thread as well I guess.

Authorities said the white suspect, who was armed with an assault-style rifle and appeared to have acted alone, came to Buffalo from a New York county "hours away" to target the store in a predominantly Black community.

Eleven of the 13 people struck by gunfire were Black, and two were white, officials said.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Zero days since........

Crosspostable to the "not about race" thread as well I guess.
Oh if even we could go zero days:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
that kid has years of posts on dischord and a manifesto that leave little doubt

Have fun 'investigating'

Also: Watching the dan-os of the world pivot from 'good guy with a gun' to 'good guy with a gun AND also a plate vest'
The one fucking time they actually talk somebody down, is a case where it is seriously not needed. Should have let him blow his head off.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My city made national news again for another mass shooting. Only thing they left out was that it was most likely gang related, occurred in the hood and happens several times a month if not weekly.

Several years ago there were 7 people shot in the street in front of a bar downtown that is literally on the same ( but opposite side ) block as my studio. That barely made local news.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My city made national news again for another mass shooting. Only thing they left out was that it was most likely gang related, occurred in the hood and happens several times a month if not weekly.

Several years ago there were 7 people shot in the street in front of a bar downtown that is literally on the same ( but opposite side ) block as my studio. That barely made local news.
This I assume

It's kind of a predictable news pattern though. One thing happens and then all our stenographers go looking for the next one. It's not that these events go up in frequency, but the scrutiny does. Until the next big thing defines what they put a magnifying glass on for a week.

Fortunately enough of these happen now that they're easy to find when you need to.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm not generally a follower of this guy, but I occasionally check out what he's talking about.
I'm not much of a gun person, so I'm curious if any of the more experienced monkeys have thoughts on this.

spoiler/summary
The AR15 is popular because it is a common US Army weapon. Recently it was announced that the Sig XM5 will be the replacement US Army weapon going forward, which Beau expects will mean the XM5 will become the weapon of choice for consumers in the US. The XM5 uses a bullet that has about double the ballistic energy of those used in the AR15, thus shootings involving the XM5 will likely have more destructive outcomes. Additionally, and AR15-specific gun control language that has been drafted may not apply to these new models.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm not generally a follower of this guy, but I occasionally check out what he's talking about.
I'm not much of a gun person, so I'm curious if any of the more experienced monkeys have thoughts on this.

spoiler/summary
The AR15 is popular because it is a common US Army weapon. Recently it was announced that the Sig XM5 will be the replacement US Army weapon going forward, which Beau expects will mean the XM5 will become the weapon of choice for consumers in the US. The XM5 uses a bullet that has about double the ballistic energy of those used in the AR15, thus shootings involving the XM5 will likely have more destructive outcomes. Additionally, and AR15-specific gun control language that has been drafted may not apply to these new models.

I doubt it. The AR is popular because it is cheap. Perhaps the price doesn't reflect that but that just means it is profitable for the companies that sell it. It has fewer moving parts, the patents have expired so easy to make copy-cat versions and the ammunition is relatively cheap. Before foreign assault rifles were banned the AK47 was the most popular rifle for gun nuts, it was the cheapest available military rifle. There have always been more powerful, more reliable, and more accurate rifles available. Gun nuts drool over them but usually prefer to buy cheap ARs so they can afford to strap on their fashionable punisher themed accessories and pew pew from the hip at the old appliances they dump off the side of forest roads.

That new rifle will have active patents, will cost a hell of a lot more as will the ammo. It will just become a status symbol where some overweight mouth breather can brag to his buddies that he can engage targets 300 yards further away.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I doubt it. The AR is popular because it is cheap. Perhaps the price doesn't reflect that but that just means it is profitable for the companies that sell it. It has fewer moving parts, the patents have expired so easy to make copy-cat versions and the ammunition is relatively cheap. Before foreign assault rifles were banned the AK47 was the most popular rifle for gun nuts, it was the cheapest available military rifle. There have always been more powerful, more reliable, and more accurate rifles available. Gun nuts drool over them but usually prefer to buy cheap ARs so they can afford to strap on their fashionable punisher themed accessories and pew pew from the hip at the old appliances they dump off the side of forest roads.

That new rifle will have active patents, will cost a hell of a lot more as will the ammo. It will just become a status symbol where some overweight mouth breather can brag to his buddies that he can engage targets 300 yards further away.
IDK about that logic. SKS and cheap Chinese AK variants are still the cheapest. There have been a few really low cost crap-quality ARs, but for the most part the barrier to entry remains relatively high, they tend to cost more. The popularity of the AR platform seemed to explode when the military adopted the M4 over the M16 for widespread use. Up until then, the M4 existed, but was used in limited-space applications, like for crews (not the infantrymen) inside of tanks and armored vehicles, helicopters, etc. But then it was everywhere and the popularity seemed to explode, there seemed to be more and more gun companies doing it, to the point where it became like the 1911, where basically every gun company made their own model thereof.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
IDK about that logic. SKS and cheap Chinese AK variants are still the cheapest. There have been a few really low cost crap-quality ARs, but for the most part the barrier to entry remains relatively high, they tend to cost more. The popularity of the AR platform seemed to explode when the military adopted the M4 over the M16 for widespread use. Up until then, the M4 existed, but was used in limited-space applications, like for crews (not the infantrymen) inside of tanks and armored vehicles, helicopters, etc. But then it was everywhere and the popularity seemed to explode, there seemed to be more and more gun companies doing it, to the point where it became like the 1911, where basically every gun company made their own model thereof.

Imports of foreign made assault rifles were banned in 1994, about the same time the M4 was adopted. There were cheap as shit pinned together SKS and AKs that were crap, but there were quality versions of the same type from say Czechoslovakia that were well built. Since the ban those foreign made rifles are semi-rare and that $90 SKS from 1994 will run you more than a low end copy cat AR type.

The AR became popular when the cheap but quality SKS/AKs became scarce. The average price of an AR in 1993 was close to $1000. When the supply of cheap foreign rifles dried up the supply of AR types skyrocketed and the price dropped significantly.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not interested in plinking and pest control, interested in what I used to carry.
Only gun I own is the modern civilian equivalent. Springfield M1A. Never shot it, may never. Got it for historical significance and the fact that trying to figure out how automatic guns worked as a kid inspired me to be an engineer. I am still fascinated by the mechanisms.