Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
man with gun gets robbed by man with gun who wanted other gun. Robbed man goes and gets other gun. Men with guns shoot at each other, inviting third man with gun to get in on fun, and all fuck shit up, including people without guns. No guns were harmed.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Some interesting stats. It’s not your imagination, it’s getting worse.

Adding to the stats, since I was just looking for some.
- In 2020, the most recent year for which complete data is available, 45,222 people died from gun-related injuries in the U.S., according to the CDC.
- In 2020, 54% of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides (24,292), while 43% were murders (19,384), according to the CDC. The remaining gun deaths that year were unintentional (535), involved law enforcement (611) or had undetermined circumstances (400).
- The Gun Violence Archive, an online database of gun violence incidents in the U.S., defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people are shot, even if no one was killed (again excluding the shooters). Using this definition, 513 people died in these incidents in 2020.

1654112294752.png

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I vaguely remember some department of the government that is related to gun tracking/applications or related record keeping that is prohibited from going digital and all records are on paper and housed in a warehouse making almost inaccessible to anyone. So technically they were complying with the law, but not really.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
fucking hell ...
I wonder how much overlap there is with LA, MS, and WY death rate and the suicide numbers.

Seeing some of the stats, it sure seems that lots of the talking points on gun control (like banning AR15/assault rifles) would put a relatively small dent in the number gun deaths in the US, assuming those measures were 100% effective. I could see some level of rifle legislation possibly happening, but radical restrictions on handguns seems unlikely in the current environment.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The deaths caused are obviously the worst part of this. But not far behind is the domestic terrorism. I’ve heard these shootings referred to as modern cross burning’s meant to frighten people and send a message, particularly when they are live streamed. I can see that point. In a country of 332 million, trying to predict, legislate, or contain mass shooting deaths on the scale of the statistics (above) is like playing whack a mole on a football field sized board.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It’s not a gun problem. It’s a pain problem. Let the oxy flow.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

You are not a well trained militia. We do not have the need for a "well trained militia", as we have the largest freestanding military in the world. Your militia to defend against a tyrannical government will be obliterated within hours under full force - just look at the idiots in Idaho when Federal agents were sent in to take back public property.

If this doesn't register that we have a gun problem in this country, you can take that gun, that is anything but a low-capacity hunting rifle, shove it up your ass, and pull the trigger - because you're part of the problem. We are the only developed country (and this is becoming a really slippery description) in the world with this problem.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

You are not a well trained militia. We do not have the need for a "well trained militia", as we have the largest freestanding military in the world. Your militia to defend against a tyrannical government will be obliterated within hours under full force - just look at the idiots in Idaho when Federal agents were sent in to take back public property.

If this doesn't register that we have a gun problem in this country, you can take that gun, that is anything but a low-capacity hunting rifle, shove it up your ass, and pull the trigger - because you're part of the problem. We are the only developed country (and this is becoming a really slippery description) in the world with this problem.
:stupid:

The whole "rise up against a tyrannical government" thing is just a cosplay soldier's wet dream. You honestly think your AR-15 is going to save you from a Predator drone? I think not.

After universal background checks (that there are sales of guns without background checks and there are people who defend it is just mind boggling), high capacity firearms are the first thing that should go. There are legitimate applications for all firearms, both hunting and/or sporting, but nothing that can justify needing a 30- round magazine.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
We truly are Number One, USA, USA, USA!!! woot woot !

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Genius.

Kids could report to their classroom in the morning, recite their Pledge of Allegiance, and then be issued their gun for the day. Just before the final bell, they would turn their weapon back in to their teacher to be safely locked away until the following morning. These aren’t toys, after all – they’re to be solely for defense purposes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Will probably discourage some number of buyers, but AR15s are easy enough to assemble at home, and only the lower receiver is considered a firearm. You'd still pay the cost on that one component, but it would be a small fraction of the cost vs purchasing as an assembled gun.