Quantcast
Oh good, you're back. How's about you answer my question now about telling what that lawyer commenting on constitutional interpretation said during the Heller case, in your own words.

Cuz right now it just looks like you posted that video because you thought you found someone who uses big syllable phrases who was somehow saying what you were. He wasn't.
"big syllable phrases?" And you're giving me a hard time about grammar & usage?

What Alan Gura said during the Heller case is a matter of record. Look it up yourself. Read the majority opinion while you're at it. Also see McDonald v. Chicago and Moore v. Madigan. Learn or not, your choice.

Alternatively, show me you're willing to carry on an honest discussion by dropping the ad hom and I will be happy to indulge your request for interpretation of Gura's comments in the video I posted.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

What Alan Gura said during the Heller case is a matter of record. Look it up yourself. Read the majority opinion while you're at it. Also see McDonald v. Chicago and Moore v. Madigan. Learn or not, your choice.

Alternatively, show me you're willing to carry on an honest discussion by dropping the ad hom and I will be happy to indulge your request for interpretation of Gura's comments in the video I posted.
The Heller case was decided long before Gura opened his mouth. That was decided the moment Alito got to exchange his white robe for a black one...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Tell me what he said in the video clip you posted.

He's saying that irrespective of the means you use to interpret it, a living, useful Constitution (as opposed to a dead, worthless one) cannot be subject to the transient nature of often spurious public opinion, aka "commonsense."

Is that overly polysyllabic for you?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
He's saying that irrespective of the means you use to interpret it, a living, useful Constitution (as opposed to a dead, worthless one) cannot be subject to the transient nature of often spurious public opinion, aka "commonsense."

You do realize that your statement is an utter contradiction of itself, right?

By the way, that's also not what he was saying...

aaaaannnnnd redefining a clause of the constitution is reflective of what exactly?
I presume you're still talking about the prefatory clause of the 2nd that refers to the "militia?" How did the Heller decision "redefine" the term from the definition offered in the Dick Act of 1903 (besides perhaps broadening its applicability wrt gender and age)?

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the militia shall consist of every able-bodied male citizen of the respective States, Territories, and the District of Columbia, and every able-bodied male of foreign birth who has declared his intention to become a citizen, who is more than eighteen and less than forty-five years of age, and shall be divided into two classes-the organized militia, to be known as the National Guard of the State, Territory, or District of Columbia, or by such other designations as may be given them by the laws of the respective States or Territories, and the remainder to be known as the Reserve Militia.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44465921/32Stat775.pdf

You do realize that your statement is an utter contradiction of itself, right?
The only way I see that you could think that is if you disregard Gura's mention of original meaning vs. original intent in the video. But I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

By the way, that's also not what he was saying...
I'm particularly interested to hear your thoughts on this also.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, i've noticed something interesting... i've encountered a lot of people that are very very pro gun that also happen to hate the metric system, and very much in favor of the english/imperial system.

which is interesting... considering all gun calibers are in millimeters...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The capacity issue is a nice talking point and all but it's not the main issue at hand.
NY isn't going to be any less violent now that handguns have one less round.

If anything, getting hung up on magazine capacity and fear of a black gun rhetoric will be the death knell of gun reform.
It targets a profitable market for the manufacturers and a genre of weapons that are responsible for a small percentage of gun violence.
While I haven't touched my hunting rifles/shot guns in years (they are locked up 2k/mi away in CO at my moms place), and have no desire/use for a military-style weapon, I would vote against such laws solely because they are a knee-jerk reaction.
It's a no-brainer rallying call for gun-lobbies to fight tooth and nail against new legislation.

The first logical step, that most gun owners can ultimately live with, is background checks for every retail sale including gun shows. They may not like it, and the NRA will call it a 'national registry to enable confiscation', but most will settle for it because it doesn't ultimately limit the 'rights' of lawful owners.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think you mean defenestrate.

Which one is the Reserve Militia?

This guy?

Cuz those are the kinds of guys that sure think they are.

Man if only there were something feeding that aforementioned national guard. Some kind of.......I don't know....'reserve' that the national guard could call upon. Oh well. I got nothin. You?
he's got a face like charles bronson
straight outta green bay wisconsin

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The first logical step, that most gun owners can ultimately live with, is background checks for every retail sale including gun shows. They may not like it, and the NRA will call it a 'national registry to enable confiscation', but most will settle for it because it doesn't ultimately limit the 'rights' of lawful owners.
That and limiting the function of firearms, not fixating on what they look like. I agree with you there. Just how many consecutive rounds you need to pop off with a semi-auto anything to hunt with again?

And background checks aside, it's easier to buy a gun than a tazer. That's just retarded.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
which is interesting... considering all gun calibers are in millimeters...
.357,.38, .40,.45, .308, .50, .22...

That and limiting the function of firearms, not fixating on what they look like. I agree with you there. Just how many consecutive rounds you need to pop off with a semi-auto anything to hunt with again?

And background checks aside, it's easier to buy a gun than a tazer. That's just retarded.
So it's all about hunting only? How would you limit a firearms function? Make everything bolt action?
And in my state, it's not easier go buy a gun then a tazer and I'm sure that goes for the majority of the other states

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
So it's all about hunting only? How would you limit a firearms function? Make everything bolt action?
And in my state, it's not easier go buy a gun then a tazer and I'm sure that goes for the majority of the other states
No idea what your state is, but I can buy a long gun with just a background check (and no waiting period). I can buy a handgun with a background check and a 2-day waiting period.

Up until late 2011 WI residents were forbidden from owning a Tazer (felony), and even now you have to have a CCW permit in order just to own one. So, you need a permit to own a tazer, but not a handgun (or long gun).

Pure anecdotal evidence, but here in WI Kidwoo is spot on.

Link.

Under the new law, a permit is required before buying or carrying a Taser, concealed or not, while a deadly handgun can be openly carried without a permit.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So it's all about hunting only?
Actually you're right. That's a good point. Semi automatics are pretty fvcking retarded for anything you'd call a reasonable legal function.

How would you limit a firearms function? Make everything bolt action?
Our homeboy Pierre likes to point out how ineffective the assault weapons ban was because it bans the AR-15 ilk but that remington makes that fancy .22 that looks all pretty and wood stocked but does the same thing. So yeah. All that stupid shlt because it does the same thing.

:rofl:

http://www.antarespro.com/5021845-item-Taser-44009-796430440096.aspx?sgd=349d317d319d309d316

Due to state laws this item cannot be shipped to the following states:AZ, DC, HI, IL, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, WIThis item CANNOT be shipped to the following locations: ANNAPOLIS, MD; ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, MD; BALTIMORE COUNTY, MD; BELLINGHAM , WA; HOWARD COUNTY, MD; MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FL; NEW CASTLE COUNTY, DE; NEW ORLEANS , LA; PHILADELPHIA , PA; S BEND , IN; SOUTH BEND , IN; SWEETWATER , FL; THORNTON , CO; WILMINGTON , DE;

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Actually you're right. That's a good point. Semi automatics are pretty fvcking retarded for anything you'd call a reasonable legal function.

Our homeboy Pierre likes to point out how ineffective the assault weapons ban was because it bans the AR-15 ilk but that remington makes that fancy .22 that looks all pretty and wood stocked but does the same thing. So yeah. All that stupid shlt because it does the same thing.

:rofl:

http://www.antarespro.com/5021845-item-Taser-44009-796430440096.aspx?sgd=349d317d319d309d316
youre right piers morgan, all semi-autos are stupid and no have no use :think:

that 2nd statement makes no sense at all.

8 states out of 50. thanks for proving my point :rofl:

edit: actually, 5 out of 50 states: http://www.defenseproducts101.com/statestatutesummary_page2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser#cite_note-56

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

"living" means it changes, so um..yeah...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
youre right piers morgan, all semi-autos are stupid and no have no use :think:
I know they do. They go pew pew pew!! And that's awesome!

Read that second statement few more times and think about all the canned bitching about the assault weapons ban. Stay in there. You'll get it.

8 states out of 50. thanks for proving my point :rofl:

edit: actually, 5 out of 50 states: http://www.defenseproducts101.com/statestatutesummary_page2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser#cite_note-56
No your point is fvcking moronic. The fact that in ANY state it's easier to get a taserthan a gun is emblematic of just how stupid the gun culture is here.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^ yeah, but he had what today is regarded as a string of moral failures; therefore your argument is invalid.

plus, whenever i see his face, i hear clay jenkinson's voice

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
^^^ yeah, but he had what today is regarded as a string of moral failures; therefore your argument is invalid.

plus, whenever i see his face, i hear clay jenkinson's voice
Constitution is invalid then?

The Jefferson Hour kind of creeps me out. I mean, It's interesting sometimes, but on the other hand, I don't think a healthy person spends that much time thinking about one other specific person. I don't know that much about my wife, never mind some guy who's been dead for 200 years.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I forgot when Woo gets proven wrong, he resorts to name calling...now I remember why i don't get into these "discussions."

Edit: but you're right, those scary looking semi-autos should be banned! We should all take your buddy joe Biden's advice and use a double barrel shotgun and blast someone through the door

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I forgot when Woo gets proven wrong, he resorts to name calling...now I remember why i don't get into these "discussions."
Don't be a sissy. I got challenged to a cage fight on here once. It gets rough here but don't take it to heart. Kidwoo doesn't.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Interesting - I recently learned it's not really that hard to get full auto weapons.
I work in NH and a few guys here have a number of them, as well as stuff like silencers etc.
Which I don't really have a major problem with, until they start talking like their toys are anything other than that...toys. Sorry, but unless you're in the service, your guns have nothing to do with my liberty, so quit kidding yourself Rambo.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130120/GJNEWS_01/130129919/0/SEARCH

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They must have deep pockets up there then since fill-autos haven always been expensive.
I'm applying a class 3 tax stamp (similar to what is required for a full-auto) but the wait time is around 12 months now

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Interesting - I recently learned it's not really that hard to get full auto weapons.
I work in NH and a few guys here have a number of them, as well as stuff like silencers etc.
Which I don't really have a major problem with, until they start talking like their toys are anything other than that...toys. Sorry, but unless you're in the service, your guns have nothing to do with my liberty, so quit kidding yourself Rambo.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130120/GJNEWS_01/130129919/0/SEARCH
Reminds me of this commercial: