Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As one who has carried a gun, both concealed and openly, as part of his emplyment for the majority of his adult life, I find it inconceivable that someone can forget that he is carrying.
You might refuse to believe it, but that doesn't disprove it. I get reports on the guns found at airports all the time, both in baggage and on the body of people, all of whom "forgot". The real problem is that some gun owners are responsible, but there is no "law abiding responsible citizen" demographic as the NRA tries to imply. People that own guns are the same ones talking on their cell phones while driving, flipping off other drivers, and so on.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Point being, the ability and the right to carry a weapon, whether for personal or professional use, is an awesome responsibility. (And I dont mean awesome in the 'wow, totally bitchin' awesome man" sense...)
Those who claim to have "forgotten" do not appreciate the level of responsibilty intrinsic in the carry of a small peice of hardware that is capable of doing such damage.

My refusal to believe is more a statement of incredulity that someone can be that fvcking stupid.

I own guns, mostly tactical weapons that are tools used for proficiency training. I do not talk on phone while driving, nor do I flip off other drivers ...(anymore). I am the law abiding citizen, and I hate the NRA. They need to return to their past and focus on teaching marksmanship and responsible gun ownership coupled with the safe and sane teaching of weapons handling.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
They need to return to their past and focus on teaching marksmanship and responsible gun ownership coupled with the safe and sane teaching of weapons handling.
that ship has sailed.

you lack the well-funded lobby for such a silly idea

From the (presumably) diminutively penised jurists of the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals:

"The district court erred in denying the applicant’s motion for summary
judgment on the Second Amendment claim because San Diego County’s
“good cause” permitting requirement impermissibly infringes on the Second
Amendment right to bear arms in lawful self-defense.

REVERSED and REMANDED."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/02/13/ninth-circuit-strikes-californias-restrictive-rule-against-licensed-carry-of-handguns/

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
pssst....he's lying
very likely.
however, the law _is_ over-reaching, imo
he may not go to jail, but he'll go into debt in the tens of thousands in the process.

exhibit Q that we have a legal system, not a justice system

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah whatever...you know not of what you speak...know why they call Chicago the Windy City? Because LA sucks and New York blows.
Lived in Ukranian village for most of the 90s.
City itself is fun (great bars, music, food) but weather, geography, crime, filth and inability to get anywhere worthwhile under 4hrs drive make it a prison.
I do agree its the coolest place in the midwest though.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I do agree its the coolest place in the midwest though.
Which isnt saying too much...honestly.

Disclaimer...although I grew up in the area, and still identify as a Chicagoan, I will never, repeat NEVER live in the area again. Still pull for the Hawks, Bears and Cubbies (Yeah, I know...) but was there in Nov and wanted to leave almost as soon as I left O'Hare. Too many people in too small a place, with alot of real a$$holes.

I respectfully retract my claim that you know not of what you speak...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Meanwhile in California

California must allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed firearms in public, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday, striking down the core of the state's permit system for handguns.

In a 2-1 decision, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said San Diego County violates the Constitution's Second Amendment by requiring residents to show "good cause" - and not merely the desire to protect themselves - to obtain a concealed-weapons permit.

State law requires applicants to demonstrate good cause, as well as good moral character, to carry concealed handguns, while leaving the permit process up to each city and county. The ruling, if it stands, would require local governments to issue permits to anyone of good moral character who wants to carry a concealed gun for self-protection.

"The right to bear arms includes the right to carry an operable firearm outside the home for the lawful purpose of self-defense," Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain said in the majority opinion.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Court-strikes-California-law-restricting-5232386.php

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
“[T]he sword today is the AR-15. If you don’t have one, go get one. You’re supposed to have one; it’s biblical."
do we then carry it to church, slung over the same arm under which one tucks the bible (the other 'sword')?

that could cause a stir, especially if you do that at New Life Church, where jeanne assam is still working security

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ah, more gun safety tips from Charles Darwin :

Man Accidentally Kills Self With Gun During Demonstration On Gun Safety
A man from Independence Township, Michigan, accidentally shot himself to death on Monday while teaching his girlfriend about gun safety, the Oakland Press reports.

The 36-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was showing his girlfriend how his three handguns are safe when they aren’t loaded, according to the Detroit Free Press. He was attempting to demonstrate the safety of the handguns by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger.

The third gun fired, and the man was struck in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Three children ages 7, 10, and 12 were in the home, but did not witness the shooting, according to reports. The man's girlfriend told authorities he had been drinking most of the day before the incident took place.

This isn't the first time a gun safety demonstration has gone wrong. In January 2013, 18-year-old Florida resident Alexander Xavier Shaw died doing a similar demonstration. Richard M. McLean, a 22-year-old from Michigan, died in a similar fashion in June 2012. Missouri resident James Looney, 40, was also teaching his girlfriend about gun safety when he shot himself in the head in September 2009.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hey, fellas, you're missing the point of the article: there's a lonely woman in need of comfort

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^ meh; it's really no different than religious food banks.

you never know how hungry you are until you get a hot meal, and you never know how much of a man you can be until you have a gun