Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i just hope the shooter was nra-certified. we don't want anyone running around armed w/o the correct training.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You tell me...

OK, so what happens if some of these open carry, freedom-frighteners go into a bank for a loan, go to the DMV, or walk into a jewelry store with an armed guard ?

I'm sure they probably think its also a good idea to pick their kid up, or attend a PTA meeting at school with an assault rifle slung over their shoulder.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
OK, so what happens if some of these open carry, freedom-frighteners go into a bank for a loan, go to the DMV, or walk into a jewelry store with an armed guard ?

I'm sure they probably think its also a good idea to pick their kid up, or attend a PTA meeting at school with an assault rifle slung over their shoulder.
Pretty good bet they dont have any kids...not with those phallic extenders slung that way, ready for combat and such.

(Meaning I dont think either idiot could pick up a chick if he had to...)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it came from outer space said:
"Did you know, Putnam, that more murders are committed at 92 Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easygoing. Over 92, it's too hot to move. But just 92, people get irritable.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
http://www.thecivilian.co.nz/canada-shooting-absolves-united-states-of-guilt-for-total-of-24-hours/

A fatal shooting and subsequent manhunt in New Brunswick, Canada, has absolved its neighbour, the United States, of any guilt relating to perpetual gun violence for a total of 24 hours, a reprieve period that was swiftly ended by a shooting in Washington State earlier today.

Americans across the nation reported feeling a sense of “immense relief” upon hearing about the shooting in New Brunswick, knowing that, for at least a time, they would not be the sole country in the spotlight for senseless gun-related tragedy.

“Obviously, when I turned on the news and heard about it, my heart sank, as it normally does,” said 36-year-old New Jersey resident Bruce Bennett. “But then I heard it was in Canada, and I was like ‘Wow, it’s not us.’”

“It’s usually us,” he added.

Indiana mother-of-two Anna Morgan said the harrowing news out of the north had reassured her that this “does happen elsewhere,” so “maybe we don’t need to do anything after all.”

But both Bennett and Morgan reported the feeling they experienced to be fleeting, brought to a sudden and disheartening end by today’s news of yet another deadly shooting on the nation’s west coast.

“Well, it was a good run,” opined David Hemenway, professor of at the Harvard School of Public Health and one of the nation’s leading experts on gun violence. “24 hours isn’t bad for us. You could argue, I suppose, that in that 24-hour period, statistically speaking, 88 people died of gun violence in the United States, as opposed to 17 in Canada.

“But none of those happened in the same place at the same time, perhaps some of them happened in poor neighbourhoods, didn’t involve white people, so naturally they don’t end up in the news. If it doesn’t end up in the news, it doesn’t scare us. If it doesn’t scare us, it’s not so important.”

Hemenway said the one saving grace of yet another gun tragedy was that it would “reignite” debate about what kind of inconsequential measures the federal government can not enact.

America’s National Rifle Association, which in recent years has become used to responding to demand for policy change following mass shootings, issued a press release this afternoon titled, simply, “No.”

Meanwhile, executive director of Gun Owners for America, Larry Pratt, said it was “ridiculous” that anyone was paying these incidents “any mind.”

He argued the solution to feelings of guilt and fear surrounding the issue of guns in America was not to reduce gun violence, but rather to increase it.

“The only reason these are news events at all is because they’re not everyday occurrences,” said Pratt. “They’re more sort of, every fourth day occurrences. So they end up in the news, and we feel guilty, and we all want to talk about it, and have a ‘national discussion’, and we get a bad image overseas.

“Now, on the other hand, imagine a world where we had so many guns, and so much gun violence, that this sort of thing happened literally every day.

Pratt noted that this idea wasn’t just some “pie in the sky idealistic vision,” and that, in fact, America “really isn’t that far off.”