Quantcast

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
32 floors up. Nothing but sane and logical gun laws combined with proper mental health care could have stopped this. Even if every motherfucker in the crowd was packing.

FWIW, anti sniper doctrine involves qualified counter snipers on roof tops and in strategic hides (Ala Secret Service protection for the POTUS...) but if there is no threat forecasted, there is no counter sniper deployment. Anti sniper battle drills involve smoke for concealment, lots of lead thrown downrange in the direction of the shooter and either withdrawal from the battlespace or charging right through the shooters kill zone. NONE of that would have applied in Vegas yesterday.

Cant wait to see how the NRA spins this.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah people looking out the windows of the same hotel because they had to hear the noise........never would have stood a chance.

Just the price of freedom I guess.
Naw, we obviously need to legalize and carry RPGs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
at this point, i don't even think a shooting at an NRA rally where the NRA president is killed would convince some of these mouth breathers that some regulation is OK

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
what's the stats on people dead in a "mass-murder" vs. "everyday gun violence"? If Sandy Hook, and "everyday" deaths doesn't change discourse... I don't know what will.

man, it's such a sad state of affairs. I feel sorry for you guys.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what's the stats on people dead in a "mass-murder" vs. "everyday gun violence"? If Sandy Hook, and "everyday" deaths doesn't change discourse... I don't know what will.

man, it's such a sad state of affairs. I feel sorry for you guys.
pick a city...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"When asked about the debate over gun control after the mass shooting in Las Vegas, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said "today is a day for consoling survivors." She would not say if President Trump planned on addressing the issue.

"There is a time and place for political debate," Sanders said. "Now is the time to unite."

Citing the fact that the shooter's motive is still unknown and the ongoing investigation, Sanders added that it's "premature to discuss policy when we don't fully know all the facts."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, LaPierre and the boys down at the NRA havent given us our talking points yet. I am really starting to despise this chick...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Police have said that the attack in Las Vegas was not terror-related, but so far have not released a motive.
It always bugs me that incidents like this aren't called terror related just because it wasn't someone with brown skin who worships a different pasta deity than the "norm".

Ask any of those people on the ground if they felt terror or were terrorized...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It always bugs me that incidents like this aren't called terror related just because it wasn't someone with brown skin who worships a different pasta deity than the "norm".

Ask any of those people on the ground if they felt terror or were terrorized...
Well clearly the most important issues is the shooter's religious affiliation because being murdered by a terrorist is way worse than getting killed by a white guy with an assault weapon. Must hurt less or something, therefore not terrorism.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I mentioned it in the GMT. How's the conservative end of the country going to wrap their collective head's around the fact that it happened at one of their events this time? Not just a college or a gay club?
maybe you're right... https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/jason-aldean-vegas-shooting.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region

let's see how long it lasts/ how far it goes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Second Battle of Fallujah:
The battle proved to be the bloodiest of the war and the bloodiest battle involving American troops since the Vietnam War. <snip> U.S. forces had 54 killed and 425 wounded in the initial attack in November.
Good point, but Benghazi...I mean Reagan's 1983 Beruit Barracks Bombing was still a bit bigger. The next US mass shooter will have to try harder:

Two suicide bombers detonated each of the truck bombs. In the attack on the building serving as a barracks for the 1st Battalion 8th Marines (Battalion Landing Team - BLT 1/8), in the death toll were 220 Marines, 18 sailors, and 3 soldiers, making this incident the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since World War II's Battle of Iwo Jima, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Armed Forces since the first day of the Vietnam War's Tet Offensive, the deadliest single terrorist attack on American citizens in general prior to the September 11 attacks, and the deadliest single terrorist attack on American citizens overseas.[4] Another 128 Americans were wounded in the blast. Thirteen later died of their injuries, and they are numbered among the total number who died.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just saw video from the shooting, that guy had fully automatic weapons, hundreds of feet above a captive audience. Holy fuck those people we're sitting ducks. So sad.

horrible but true :(
If he really had fully automatic weapons, I am sure the NRA will go with, "Guns were already illegal" excuse.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
To be brutally analytical about it, fully auto weapons are not the snipers tool of choice. They are more effective when fired at formations of troops or vehicles at what is referred to as "grazing fire" which is "...fire approximately parallel to the ground where the center of the cone of fire does not rise above one meter (3ft) from the ground.”

The fact that he was throwing so much lead indicates, at least to me, that this was plain and simple, a terror attack. Let us not forget the definition of terrorism- "...the unlawful use of violence or threat of violence, often motivated by religious, political, or other ideological beliefs, to instill fear and coerce governments or societies in pursuit of goals that are usually political." (Joint Publication 3-26)

Either way, I am saddened and sickened, once again, to my very core. And this cunt doesnt make it any better.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/10/02/top-cbs-lawyer-no-sympathy-for-vegas-vics-probably-republicans.html