Quantcast

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Don't they also suppress flash? So if the smoke alarms hadn't gone apes-shit this guy could have gone on non-stop until they narrowed down an echoed sound?
I actually don't believe they suppress the flash, they are intended to be an expansion chamber to reduce the velocity of the muzzle gasses before they reach the atmosphere, therefore reducing the sound. It may reduce it to a small degree, but I don't believe it makes a significant enough impact to be considered a muzzle flash reducer. There are devices intended for muzzle flash reduction as well, but they are different from what the average person probably pictures when they think of a "silencer". (Nevermind how movies have skewed the perception that a suppressor more or less cancels out the sound of a gunshot)

Now that doesn't mean that allowing the general public to purchase suppressors is a good idea; the narrative that they are hearing protection devices is just a convenient excuse to try and make them seem more innocuous. I personally believe that they are a technology that should be reserved for the military and they are unnecessary outside of being a novelty item for gun enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I saw a link to a fully legal mod for your AR that effectively made it simulate full auto use. That combined with a 100rd drum (or a dozen) could do what this maniac did.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Did you guys catch the interview with his brother?

Seems like the whole family is kinda off. His dad was a nut case too.

Benjamin Hoskins Paddock escaped from federal prison in 1969, earning a spot on the FBI’s Most Wanted list.

He was described in the FBI’s wanted poster as “psychopathic’’ with suicidal tendencies. According to news accounts, he was not captured until 1978, when he was nabbed while running a bingo parlor in Oregon.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooters-father-was-a-bank-robber-and-on-the-fbis-most-wanted-list/

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be brutally analytical about it, fully auto weapons are not the snipers tool of choice. They are more effective when fired at formations of troops or vehicles at what is referred to as "grazing fire" which is "...fire approximately parallel to the ground where the center of the cone of fire does not rise above one meter (3ft) from the ground.”

The fact that he was throwing so much lead indicates, at least to me, that this was plain and simple, a terror attack. Let us not forget the definition of terrorism- "...the unlawful use of violence or threat of violence, often motivated by religious, political, or other ideological beliefs, to instill fear and coerce governments or societies in pursuit of goals that are usually political." (Joint Publication 3-26)

Either way, I am saddened and sickened, once again, to my very core. And this cunt doesnt make it any better.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/10/02/top-cbs-lawyer-no-sympathy-for-vegas-vics-probably-republicans.html
As someone who has actually fired a variety of full-auto weapons, this. It takes a lot of weight and stabilization to make fully-auto weapons effective at anything other than a mass crowd. For a tactical situation most of them are ridiculously ineffective. A Mac10/Uzzi is effective across the distance of your average living room. An M-16 on full auto is wildly uncontrollable unless you are firing with some sort of stabilization, and then it's going to melt the barrel fast and throw rounds in all sorts of crazy directions. Even the 3-round burst is mostly just to put a lot of rounds downrange for suppressive fire, not to make amazing triple-tap shots like in Tom Clancy novels. It takes something heavy like an M-249 to start weighing enough to allow just a 5.56 round to be put downrange with some kind of accuracy while firing full-auto and even then you carry a extra barrel to allow you to switch out and let the other one cool. This is why in WWII the machine gun emplacements were so built up, despite firing the same rounds that any old rifle could fire. In combat, unless I was carrying my M-249, I didn't want or care for full auto. You were taught to shoot accurately and not expend any more ammo than necessary. Shooting full auto is the opposite of shooting accurately, unless you are firing a supported and stabilized weapon. Shooting into a crowd, unfortunately, is going to mean many hits.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't they also suppress flash? So if the smoke alarms hadn't gone apes-shit this guy could have gone on non-stop until they narrowed down an echoed sound?
Yes, unless you are firing some mega-caliber (like .50 cal or .338) that they probably don't even make a silencer for, it'll hide the flash too. I was curious so I went into a shop in Tacoma couple days ago. Hundreds of silencers for sale.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Did you guys catch the interview with his brother?

Seems like the whole family is kinda off. His dad was a nut case too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooters-father-was-a-bank-robber-and-on-the-fbis-most-wanted-list/
The brother is totally off... i suppose speculating on someone as they go through this isn't my place, but hopefully the investigators leave no stone unturned.

I don't know what it is about this one... I've been feeling more and more numb to this kind of thing since sandy hook, but this one really has me shaken up.

I think the footage with the sound is just fucking haunting and I hope it will wake some people up to do something.

If people aren't going to force a change, then the media should stop blasting us with this for the next week straight with special broadcasts. What good is it doing other than aiding the terror in spreading and giving other would-be attackers an idea of the noteriety they will go down with?

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can't be the only person here who's shot a gun with a silencer on it?

They CAN make a gun silent like in movies. Put the right sized silencer / suppressor on the right gun and you won't hear anything but the mechanical sound of the gun.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
As someone who has actually fired a variety of full-auto weapons, this. It takes a lot of weight and stabilization to make fully-auto weapons effective at anything other than a mass crowd. For a tactical situation most of them are ridiculously ineffective. A Mac10/Uzzi is effective across the distance of your average living room. An M-16 on full auto is wildly uncontrollable unless you are firing with some sort of stabilization, and then it's going to melt the barrel fast and throw rounds in all sorts of crazy directions. Even the 3-round burst is mostly just to put a lot of rounds downrange for suppressive fire, not to make amazing triple-tap shots like in Tom Clancy novels. It takes something heavy like an M-249 to start weighing enough to allow just a 5.56 round to be put downrange with some kind of accuracy while firing full-auto and even then you carry a extra barrel to allow you to switch out and let the other one cool. This is why in WWII the machine gun emplacements were so built up, despite firing the same rounds that any old rifle could fire. In combat, unless I was carrying my M-249, I didn't want or care for full auto. You were taught to shoot accurately and not expend any more ammo than necessary. Shooting full auto is the opposite of shooting accurately, unless you are firing a supported and stabilized weapon. Shooting into a crowd, unfortunately, is going to mean many hits.
Was never a 249 fan, too heavy. Loved the 60, but I am old like that.

Imagine the slaughter if he had set up at ground level and been able to engage from the enfilade. Apparently he had weapons set on bi or tripods from the window, yet without range cards and target references that wont do much good beyond steadying the weapon.

This could have been a hell of a lot worse.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Confirmed that the shooter used legal modifications to make an automatic rifle.
Not defending their existence, but only the sale of the conversion kit is 'legal'. The act of installing/possessing a modified firearm is a felony.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Was never a 249 fan, too heavy. Loved the 60, but I am old like that.

Imagine the slaughter if he had set up at ground level and been able to engage from the enfilade. Apparently he had weapons set on bi or tripods from the window, yet without range cards and target references that wont do much good beyond steadying the weapon.

This could have been a hell of a lot worse.
:eek: