Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There was a report in NPR I heard on the way into work this morning about the the reporting system of the military, or more exactly, the complete lack thereof. Like, the rates the DOD reports domestic violence or crimes, other than "dishonorable discharge" to the background database are extremely questionable. Seems like a pretty big ball to drop, and its apparently been happening for quite sometime.

No transcript up yet.
I heard that as well.
Like any organization I'm sure the military likes to cover up their dirty laundry.
DD alone bars him from guns though so they must've failed to report even that.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This is a single point failure that can be tracked back to the AF Office of Special Investigations combined with the office of the Judge Advocate General at Holloman AFB. There is or should be a Special Agent who is in charge of uploading Lautenberg violations into the Federal system. He or she failed to do so and should be summarily dismissed and/or prosecuted for dereliction of duty. After he was convicted, the JAG should have followed up with OSI to ensure that this was done.

And I hate to be the reality guy who validates a claim of the pro gun crowd, but this sh!tbag would have found a way around the system anyway. Its not like guns are hard to find in Texas...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
fearing that they would be ruining their spouses career...
Man, I know domestic violence is "weird", for lack of a better term, when it comes to the whole "he only beats me because he cares" sort of thinking, but that's fucked. If you're getting the shit whipped out of you by your spouse, you have bigger issues to deal with than "career".

DD alone bars him from guns though so they must've failed to report even that.
I think the issue was he didn't get a dishonorable, but an "other than honorable".

Edit: apparently it was a "bad conduct" discharge, which I guess is not the same.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So for about $10k or less, you too can buy some votes. Wow, just wow.

I remember t recruit that had a domestic charge prior to joining and they were trying to get a waiver because it is tough to be infantry if you can't hold or carry a gun. :rofl:
Man, I know domestic violence is "weird", for lack of a better term, when it comes to the whole "he only beats me because he cares" sort of thinking, but that's fucked. If you're getting the shit whipped out of you by your spouse, you have bigger issues to deal with than "career".

I think the issue was he didn't get a dishonorable, but an "other than honorable".

Edit: apparently it was a "bad conduct" discharge, which I guess is not the same.
OTH (other than honorable) is the blanket discharge given to the basic jackasses, but anything else is a HUGE stain on your future life, or was at least supposed to be. OTH isn't "bad" but far from good. But if you are a big enough jackass, a Bad Conduct usually sends a message. At least in the Navy, you had to do something HUGE to get an actual dishonorable discharge.

But the failure to report is just SAD!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Anybody read this?
I'm a few hours in on Audible and it's pretty interesting despite being a bit tedious in an NPR kind of way.
Taps into the country's dysfunction pretty well.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This is a single point failure that can be tracked back to the AF Office of Special Investigations combined with the office of the Judge Advocate General at Holloman AFB. There is or should be a Special Agent who is in charge of uploading Lautenberg violations into the Federal system. He or she failed to do so and should be summarily dismissed and/or prosecuted for dereliction of duty. After he was convicted, the JAG should have followed up with OSI to ensure that this was done.

And I hate to be the reality guy who validates a claim of the pro gun crowd, but this sh!tbag would have found a way around the system anyway. Its not like guns are hard to find in Texas...
It's true, where the motivation exists, there are always going to be ways around any system and in a society with as many loopholes and guns as we have, stopping someone from obtaining one through alternative channels is damn near impossible.

But, that's still a poor excuse for not supporting the background check system we do have for legally purchasing firearms through a non-gun show dealer. If we can't even effectively manage the gun control measures we do have in place, how can we expect that more gun control measures will improve the situation?

It's the old shit in, shit out conundrum.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's true, where the motivation exists, there are always going to be ways around any system and in a society with as many loopholes and guns as we have, stopping someone from obtaining one through alternative channels is damn near impossible.

But, that's still a poor excuse for not supporting the background check system we do have for legally purchasing firearms through a non-gun show dealer. If we can't even effectively manage the gun control measures we do have in place, how can we expect that more gun control measures will improve the situation?

let's just forget the whole concept of laws and judicial nonsense, tis a silly place.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

Please do not misinterpret my statements as me not supporting background checks or closing the gun show loopholes...I support them and other control measures 100%.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Now that it's dark after work I can't do post work rides. That means I'll be making some trips to the range!! :banana::banana:

But seriously, as a gun owner I'm ok with the CA style restrictions being expanded to the rest of the country. The real problem is that I trust myself to own a gun and some of you are probably the sort of responsible adults who can safely own guns but I don't think every 18+ American should have guns.

Although the CCW permitting system in CA is beyond stupid.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
So is the idea that every armed citizen is a well-regulated militia but hey........
Not sure what you mean. But I was referring to the fact that in many places here, CCW permits are only available for the rich and famous or for friends and political donors of the county sheriff.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not sure what you mean. But I was referring to the fact that in many places here, CCW permits are only available for the rich and famous or for friends and political donors of the county sheriff.
That's to shoot the poors.

I was just using your quote as an opportunity make fun of the 2nd amendment, or at least the idea that it has any relevancy whatsoever to modern society. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bernstein's wife, Terry Flanell, was killed on the property during the filming of a promotional piece for a new Discovery Channel. She was struck by two smoke bombs travelling at 150mph.

He now keeps four female mannequins at his home.

'I need someone to talk to, to tell them my problems,' Bernstein said.

Seems consistent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bernstein's wife, Terry Flanell, was killed on the property during the filming of a promotional piece for a new Discovery Channel. She was struck by two smoke bombs travelling at 150mph.

Seems consistent.

Do you think he has enough self awareness to realize that his biggest problem is the fact that he talks to mannequins?

(rhetorical question)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Seems consistent.
scientists should study him, he probably has a black hole where his dick should be

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shit. That's a few hours from here.

And that's really the problem with a society saturated. No one thinks much of some douchebag constantly shooting in the neighborhood. That shouldn't be normal. Knowing that community I guarantee you 90% of that population owns guns and is all about their 2nd amendment. And no one did a god damn thing.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
we don't have anything in place to 'do a goddamned thing'.

We all know someone that might be the next person to make the headline news. But who do we report the person to (the cops? lol) and what can they do to prevent that person from 'unloading da clip' ?

It's on par with domestic violence. Wifey can get a restraining order but until she gets killed by her abusive a-hole husband, cops can't do much...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
we don't have anything in place to 'do a goddamned thing'.

We all know someone that might be the next person to make the headline news. But who do we report the person to (the cops? lol) and what can they do to prevent that person from 'unloading da clip' ?

It's on par with domestic violence. Wifey can get a restraining order but until she gets killed by her abusive a-hole husband, cops can't do much...
I meant no good guys with guns took him down in a blaze of john wayne american exceptionalism glory.

And sure you have something in place. You're supposed to have your own personal arsenal and sit outside his house waiting to impart justice. Because that's completely sane. -Wayne LePewPew, NRA spokesman.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Who the fuck really cares anymore ? Why even bother reporting another mass shooting ?

At the current rate it is inevitable that I or someone close to me, or anyone on this forum for that matter, is involved in a shooting. And there is not a goddamn thing I can do about it. Oh, but you say, "you can vote". Problem is the NRA owns all of the GOP, a few of the Dems and therefore controls gun laws making your elected representatives useless on gun control. And make no mistake mass shootings are exactly what the NRA wants because it's good for business.

So then, why even bother reading about another mass shooting ? And I certainly hate to agree with Potato Derp Face Huckabee-Sanders, but this isn't the time to talk about it. Why ? Because no one fucking cares !

Last edited: