Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A Georgia girl has died after her 4-year-old brother accidentally shot her.

Nothing too new here, a kid grabbed his mom's gun, shot his sister and unfortunately she died.

But what is so bizarre to me is that a Gofundme page was set up for the family. Not only was no one charged with negligence, but now they want to be rewarded for their carelessness. While it is a horrific thing to lose a child, this is indicative of how completely obsessed with firearms we are in the U.S. All the talk of how we should begin to address mental health in this country and so few actually recognize that the mental illness we have is our collective obsession with instruments of death.

The fact that children can continue lose their lives and nothing ever changes is a glaring example of how totally fucked we are.

If you place more value upon a weapon than you do the life of a child, then you do have a mental health issue.

Fuck yer Godamn guns !

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the earlier this month seven people were shot outside a club that is on the same city block as my studio. None fatal, but still. I was in the studio when it happened.

Fuck yer gunz !

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Actually very surprised this has not happened before.
Now to make things really interesting, how about we add more people with guns, but make sure they do not have any uniform or other way of telling friend from foe. If the rent-a-cop could not tell a uniformed deputy from a plain-clothed shooter, lets add a whole bunch of teachers with guns to make things even more interesting. This sounds exactly like how you would bake up an awesome friendly fire cake.

Morons.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Actually very surprised this has not happened before.
Now to make things really interesting, how about we add more people with guns, but make sure they do not have any uniform or other way of telling friend from foe. If the rent-a-cop could not tell a uniformed deputy from a plain-clothed shooter, lets add a whole bunch of teachers with guns to make things even more interesting. This sounds exactly like how you would bake up an awesome friendly fire cake.

Morons.
Sounds like a Quentin Tarantino script.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I made a point of not following the news on STEM while we were in Mexico. According to the in-laws, Haley knew the next day that it was a shooting. I was vague with the "something bad happened at STEM" explanation, but other kids told her. It's so normalized that she categorically described to them how bad the traffic was and how we had to take a parking lot entrance to get to Hannah's school. No emotion; totally cold and descriptive. I know that she is an analytical and not hyper-emotional (unless it directly effects her) kid, but that was almost scary how matter-of-fact it was. The idea of kids having to hide at school seems so normalized that it's just that... WTF is wrong with this world?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Surprise!

Media now reporting:

El Paso Shooter Identified Online As Trump Supporter Who Didn’t Like ‘Race Mixing’
Patrick Crusius allegedly left behind a racist manifesto before the deadly shooting rampage at a mall.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Surprise!

Media now reporting:

El Paso Shooter Identified Online As Trump Supporter Who Didn’t Like ‘Race Mixing’
Patrick Crusius allegedly left behind a racist manifesto before the deadly shooting rampage at a mall.
It's too bad Texas has such strict gun laws, because surely a good guy with a gun could have prevented this.

Any bets on this guy?

For the record, this means at least 29 people died yesterday in mass shootings. I wonder how many US Soldiers died in "war zones" yesterday?

Edit:
Wasn't the Garlic Fest shooter a Trumpian white supremacist loser too?

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Surprise!

Media now reporting:

"Hispanic invasion".
A guy with a german last name shooting spanish speaking "invaders" of spanish-named city founded by a spanish-speaking country.

Cant make this stuff up.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yes. Surely that's it. Cleverly explains why every country in the world suffers these sorts of attacks at exactly the same rate.
America has always been armed to the teeth.
Ever since columbine people are shooting the place up.
What has changed?

Before we go apeshit throwing laws around how about we answer that? Otherwise we’re just treating the symptom.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Just answered my own question.

They use mental illness as a scapegoat as it is a subject that quite often makes people uncomfortable to talk about. It's a hush hush kind of thing. Blame a mass shooting on the shooters speculated poor mental health and people are less likely to discuss it and forget. Until the next shooting and the cycle starts al over again.

I swear it's like I'm stuck on a carousel with raving lunatics operated by potato with electrodes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't even bring up that studies have linked rates of violence with access to weapons, independent of other factors. Basic idea: Yes, there are some crazy people out there. Trying to go and weed out all the crazy people is far more challenging and impossible compared to limiting access to weapons of death. People just "flip" with no warning/precursors.

Unless you force the entire population to go for "mental health evaluations"....

And GNR "Civil War" is playing on my mix right now...seems fitting.