Quantcast

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Washington is passing laws that require firearms safety classes before the purchase of semi-auto rifles. Annually. It will cut down on the purchase of firearms.

I understand the call for more gun control. When the guns are gone, how do we stop people from using cars to mow down crowds?

How do we address the massive populations of mentally ill, ignorant, and poorly fed americans? How many of these mouth-breathing fucks are there sitting in their parents basements playing first person shooter video games?

What the hell happened to the American Dream?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Washington is passing laws that require firearms safety classes before the purchase of semi-auto rifles. Annually. It will cut down on the purchase of firearms.

I understand the call for more gun control. When the guns are gone, how do we stop people from using cars to mow down crowds?

How do we address the massive populations of mentally ill, ignorant, and poorly fed americans? How many of these mouth-breathing fucks are there sitting in their parents basements playing first person shooter video games?

What the hell happened to the American Dream?
We won’t stop it, science tells us it will happen at far less rates/severity when the barriers are greater.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Don't even bring up that studies have linked rates of violence with access to weapons, independent of other factors.
Of course. Just like access to alcohol increases rates of alcohol abuse.

Here’s the result of Secret Service studies on mass attacks.

Most recently, in July 2019, the U.S. Secret Service released its report “Mass Attacks in Public Spaces—2018.” The report covered 27 attacks that resulted in 91 deaths and 107 injuries. The investigators found that 67% of the suspects displayed symptoms of mental illness or emotional disturbance. In 93% of the incidents, the authorities found that the suspects had a history of threats or other troubling communications. The results were similar to those of another study published by the Secret Service on 28 such attacks in 2017.

But we’re not allowed to talk about mental illness because it will hurt people’s feelings and paints a dangerous disability in an uncomfortable light. No let’s allow these assholes to remain in school and pretend a stern talk from the principal will fix what in most cases even a medical professional cannot.

Which is ironic because politely ignoring the problem simply furthers the stigma and prevents any progress on mental health, gun related or not.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
We won’t stop it, science tells us it will happen at far less rates/severity when the barriers are greater.
Using the FBI numbers, the violent crime rate fell 49% between 1993 and 2017.

This during the same period gun sales exploded, the AWB expired, concealed carry permits increases exponentially and 16 states have Constitutional Carry laws requiring no permits.

Gun homicides been declining during this period (increasing slightly lately) with suicide (mental health?) responsible for most ‘gun violence’.

The CDC data shows that gun homicides account for a smaller proportion of the total of gun deaths, but here too there has been a worrying uptick in the past few years. The CDC figures show that 14,542 people were killed in firearm homicides in 2017, a rate of 4.6 per 100,000 that held steady on the previous year.
That was up from an equivalent rate of 4.2 in 2015 and 3.6 in 2010.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Useful for the visualization of kinds of guns. 9 mm semi-auto handguns are the most used in mass shootings. Also note this re legality:
"It does not include shootings tied to gang disputes"
Kinda of an important oversight considering most gun homicides involve gang-aged young men, most of which cannot legally buy a handgun (21 Fed law).

Mayor Bill De Blasio, returning to the city from the campaign trail, addressed the Brownsville shooting in a press conference. He declined to call the incident a mass shooting in his remarks, saying, “I am only going to say that that phrase is usually reserved for a different type of situation than what I know this to be so far.” The NYPD has confirmed no motive for the shooting, though news reports suggest a dispute between possible gang members.

12 people shot, 1 killed.
No media coverage.
domestic terrorists hur dur

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don’t disagree with them excluding gang disputes. Those are arguably not random acts. It’s the chance of being attacked randomly (no matter how minute in terms of the actual stats) that gets peoples’ attention, at least non-black peoples’ attention.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
52 shot and 7 killed in the old neighborhood this past weekend, including 17 in a two hour period.
year to date: 1600 shot, 300 homicides (not all gun violence)

This selective focus on 'mass shootings and terrorism' is ridiculous to my perspective.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Like opioids, guns only became an issue when it hit suburbia.

@Toshi if we want to play selective game let’s remove suicide and gang related homicide.
Poof! Things aren’t so bad!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Useful for the visualization of kinds of guns. 9 mm semi-auto handguns are the most used in mass shootings. Also note this re legality:
12 people shot, 1 killed.
No media coverage.
domestic terrorists hur dur
52 shot and 7 killed in the old neighborhood this past weekend, including 17 in a two hour period.
year to date: 1600 shot, 300 homicides (not all gun violence)
This selective focus on 'mass shootings and terrorism' is ridiculous to my perspective.
Huh.

It's almost as if there might be some sort of common denominator.
if we want to play selective game let’s remove suicide and gang related homicide.
Poof! Things aren’t so bad!
Now suicides count?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

I'm putting this here, but it could easily go in the "Florida Being Florida" thread. Or the Zero Faith in Humanity Thread. Or It's Not About Race. Or maybe it should go in the "wheredoesthisfuckingbelonganyways?" thread...

I don't get why the Sheriff persisted in saying he made the right call in not wanting to charge him? I also didn't quite get who wound up bringing the charges? And finally, did "stand your ground" cease to apply the moment the victim backed away, effectively disengaging from the conflict? Caus' even then, that's fucked. You can pick a fight with anyone, and if they fight back you can shoot them dead, legally? Do you have to state that you have a weapon before pulling it out? So many questions!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
News just stated a new law in Oklahoma removed the need for permits to own freedum sticks...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I parked my car today at the bottom of a hill in St George Utah today. Single track climb trail ran parallel to a fairly busy dirt road on some kind of public land. Half way up and still no more than a half mile from the city street I hear someone unload a clip of what sounded like a large caliber subsonic round. Didn't pay much attention as I am a 'Merican and used to the sound of gunfire. With the last shot I heard what I assume was a ricochet of some sort hit the dirt about 10 yards from me. I have no reason to believe that the shooter was aiming anywhere near me but it doesn't matter, the stupidity of someone rapidly firing off a bunch of shots off in a rather busy and crowded area is insane. Although the least dangerous, this is the third time I have had rounds come near me while committing the crime of minding my own business while being outside.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I parked my car today at the bottom of a hill in St George Utah today. Single track climb trail ran parallel to a fairly busy dirt road on some kind of public land. Half way up and still no more than a half mile from the city street I hear someone unload a clip of what sounded like a large caliber subsonic round. Didn't pay much attention as I am a 'Merican and used to the sound of gunfire. With the last shot I heard what I assume was a ricochet of some sort hit the dirt about 10 yards from me. I have no reason to believe that the shooter was aiming anywhere near me but it doesn't matter, the stupidity of someone rapidly firing off a bunch of shots off in a rather busy and crowded area is insane. Although the least dangerous, this is the third time I have had rounds come near me while committing the crime of minding my own business while being outside.

Thats a lot of words to say “freedumb”.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Funny how people are gonna use this as an argument for carrying guns.
Id personally rather swallow a sheep whole than live in a place like that...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Funny how people are gonna use this as an argument for carrying guns.
Id personally rather swallow a sheep whole than live in a place like that...
Both the pastor and the mayor both thanked the armed parishioners for saving lives within hours of that shooting.
Like it or not this is a textbook case of "a good guy with a gun" scenario.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Both the pastor and the mayor both thanked the armed parishioners for saving lives within hours of that shooting.
Like it or not this is a textbook case of "a good guy with a gun" scenario.
If only the bad guy died...then I would agree with you.