Quantcast

Gun owners - Your experience with Glock and Springfield

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'll be a homeowner and daddy by the end of this year so this has me thinking about home defense. I've been considering a handgun and would like to hear what you guys use. I'm looking into the .40 flavors, most especially the Glock 23 and Springfield XD40.

I will be attending weapon training seminars as well as continue my self defense courses (Krav Maga) because I believe that owning a firearm will do no good unless you can properly use and defend against one. Especially under stress.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
my glock model 30 is my favorite sidearm ever. I've owned Taurus, ruger, sig, colt, smith, beretta, etc and I always go back to the glock. I've had my model 30 for about 8 years and cycled at least 15-20k rounds thru it (mostly hand-loaded rounds) and it still looks new.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have a glock 23, I must say when I first got it I only did so cause I got a good deal. I was convinced that only 1911s were any good. After 10k or so rounds I have to say that after my target pistol and my revolver my 23 is my favorite handgun. For auto loaders I would say go either glock or high end 1911. The XDs are nice but they are essentially glock rip offs.
Nothing is going to beat the glock in terms of ease of operation, and ease of maintenance. The one and only negative I have found with the glock is that they do not like to shoot solid lead bullets, so if you are buying factory reloads make sure they are jacketed.

Also, I would get a .357 sig barrel and mags for the thing. Use the 40 for practicing because the ammo is so cheep, but use the 357 sig for home defense because that round hits ALOT harder.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would consider moving before brining a gun into my house with my daughter there. I chose to not live in an area that requires that level of protection.

If I were to own a gun, it would be a Glock 21 because I favor the .45, but the 23 is also a good option. A friend of mine has a 23 that I like. I was trained with a .45.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
my glock model 30 is my favorite sidearm ever. I've owned Taurus, ruger, sig, colt, smith, beretta, etc and I always go back to the glock. I've had my model 30 for about 8 years and cycled at least 15-20k rounds thru it (mostly hand-loaded rounds) and it still looks new.
ditto

I have owned and shot a lot of guns and nothing shoots like my Glock Model 30.

I had the Model 27 and I was not a fan of the .40 round.

However, I say Glock all the way. Read the FBI study done when the were looking for new sidearms and it just reiterates why the Glock is superior to 95% of the hand guns available today.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'll be a homeowner and daddy by the end of this year so this has me thinking about home defense. I've been considering a handgun and would like to hear what you guys use. I'm looking into the .40 flavors, most especially the Glock 23 and Springfield XD40.

I will be attending weapon training seminars as well as continue my self defense courses (Krav Maga) because I believe that owning a firearm will do no good unless you can properly use and defend against one. Especially under stress.
Foo! Why didn't you tell me you were looking. Call me, we'll go to the range so you can actually test fire a couple. If you go .45 Auto, I can make you some special low recoil 95% ricochet free rounds.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Peeps with polymer weapons, why do you prefer those? (honest question)

In the realm of 45's, I've owned 1911's, Sig 220, and the HK USP. Sig 220 all the way. The HK, albeit accurate and reliable, felt like it had a harsher recoil even with the double spring. The 1911 and Sig are always buttery smooth allowing for more controlled double tap

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Peeps with polymer weapons, why do you prefer those? (honest question)
My ex-wifes uncle was telling me about being issued a Glock over his S&W many years ago. He said at first he hated it because it felt cheap and more like a toy.

After a few weeks, he said it was the perfect carry weapon because it didn't weigh his belt down and you didn't notice it was there when running.

I just like the simplicity of the Glock over something else. The reliability is unquestionable and if it's good enough for Navy SEALs, it should be good enough for me.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
For me it is the design and action of Glock, not the material.
yes A N D it's only the grip that's polymer. IMO, that's nice to keep to the weight down for cc.

ultranoob, I had the same sig. it was a super-nice gun. If I could have kept both it and my glock, I would have. I traded it in for the glock, didn't have the $$$ to keep both.

Another thing about my 30 is that I never considered a short-barrel'd cc weapon to be so much fun on the range, esp at 25 yards. I can hit bowling pins all day long with this thing at 25 yds and it's small enough to just about fit in your pocket when your done. Glock nailed it with the 30...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My first attachment to a Teir 1 unit, they issued me a Glock 19. It shot great even after you just crawled out of some godforsaken swamp. It was easy to clean and was consistent with ball ammo. Definatley out performed the M9.

When I was given the option to pick my side arm, I went to sig 226. Never looked back. Out of the box with the first 5 rounds, I punched out a 3"group at 25yds. After 10 mags, groups went down to 2".

Guess it's a preference thing. I fired my buddies XD and was not impressed.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Good info ya'll. I'm going to check out a range soon and get a feel for both. The reviews say they are both reliable weapons so I suppose it's going to come down to which feels less like a gun and more of an extension of my arm.

What's your choice of ammo for the range and for your @home clip/s?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
home defense (close range) = compressed powdered lead round nose or prefrag hollow points
target = semi wadcutters (nice clean holes)
concealed carry / back country = hydrashoks

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Seems like I am the odd one..I CANNOT STAND the Glock trigger. It reminds me of a Jack-in-the box. If you just keep fiddling with it for long enough, it will finally go off, but you never know when.

For a never clean, drop it in the dirt, run it over with a car and it will always work, the Glock is a great survival tool. But the trigger feel makes it a no-go for me.

I am a 1911 fan (I think the .45 is a great choice for this use as well) but they can be a little more 'needy' (maint, cleaning, etc) and also have a tendancy to suck you into UGI...

IF you have the opportunity DEFINATELY try some stuff out and get what is most comfortable for YOU.

Then lock it up!!!!!!!!!!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Have hydra-shoks improved in the last few years?

I did some very unofficial testing of my own years back and the Speer Gold dot was the most consistent hollowpoint in terms of average expansion. Most of the time, the hydra-shok clogged with clothing and never expanded. However, remember the Black Talon? I had some and those things were NASTY!

Also in reference to the Sig. It is an incredible gun. It feels great in the hand and is piece of art, but the distance between the top of my hand and the centerline of the barrel caused the gun to "kick" more compared to an equivalent Glock or H & K.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Have hydra-shoks improved in the last few years?....However, remember the Black Talon?.
hahaha, black talons, blast from the past. I tried every factory defense round I could get my hands on in .45 ACP about a decade or so ago. Among the group was star fire, black talons, hydra-shoks, and a bunch of others that I can't remember. I like the hydra-shoks the best as far as accuracy, recoil and damage incurred to the target (whatever it may have been at the time). Here's an excerpt from a guy that's tested tons of ammo:
"- Federal 230 grain Hydrashok JHP (P45HS1): a great load, and my #1 choice. It gives the most stopping power in this potent caliber."

Here's the site: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What kind of ghetto do you live in where you need a gun for protection? If you live anywhere in New York City and you need a gun for protection you could only afford a bike like this:

Monkey
no one ever "needs" a firearm until they get put on hold with 911.

And from our experience before, my girl friend called about some douche beating the crap out of a girl on the street and was on hold for at least 15 minutes.

:disgust1:

What kind of ghetto do you live in where you need a gun for protection? If you live anywhere in New York City and you need a gun for protection you could only afford a bike like this:

For home defense, go with a Glock. Less things to go wrong. Just don't use lead bullets with it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
no one ever "needs" a firearm until they get put on hold with 911.

And from our experience before, my girl friend called about some douche beating the crap out of a girl on the street and was on hold for at least 15 minutes.
I understand and that sucks. Around here you call and there are 4 cop cars before you hang up.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Seems like I am the odd one..I CANNOT STAND the Glock trigger. It reminds me of a Jack-in-the box. If you just keep fiddling with it for long enough, it will finally go off, but you never know when.

For a never clean, drop it in the dirt, run it over with a car and it will always work, the Glock is a great survival tool. But the trigger feel makes it a no-go for me.

I am a 1911 fan (I think the .45 is a great choice for this use as well) but they can be a little more 'needy' (maint, cleaning, etc) and also have a tendancy to suck you into UGI...

IF you have the opportunity DEFINATELY try some stuff out and get what is most comfortable for YOU.

Then lock it up!!!!!!!!!!
I am a target shooter first and foremost, my air guns all have 150 gram triggers, and my rimfire guns are around 200 grams. The stock glock trigger sucks, it comes with a 12 pound connector pin, glock sells a 1.5 pound one that does WONDERS for that thing. That being said the 3.5' connector pin makes the trigger OK, not great by any standard. Some good smithing work on the other hand can make that trigger feel good, not great like my target guns, but good.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Glock=relieability, Springfield=old school heavy gun,I have both of these.The 1911 is much more fun too shoot, but for all out relieability I use the glock.However the best weapon for home defense would be a shot gun,like a Mossberg 550 or something similar,you pretty much cant miss even at 2 in the morning when your all sleepy and the sound of cocking it alone will deter most people.If you miss with a pistol there is a greater chance of the rounds going into your neigbors house or somewhere else they dont belong.Just my two cents.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
My first handgun was a severly used GLOCK 17 from a Navy SEAL freind of mine back in the 80's. The finish was almost wore off ! Still fired. You can't go wrong with a GLOCK!
I shot a few competetions with the GLOCK 21.It's a little big though physical size wise. I have a smaller GLOCK now.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i'm very partial to the 1911 but...i would take a Sig over a Glock anytime.

i know a Sig isnt on your list but it should be.

i'm very partial to the 1911 but...i would take a Sig over a Glock anytime.

i know a Sig isnt on your list but it should be.
Sig's have too many small parths to keep clean.
Also, .40's are fun but kinda snappy. Just like buying a bike you can find ranges and shops w/ ranges to try different guns and calibers.
9mm is by far the easiest of the (effictive) auto rounds to shoot then the .45acp because there is less presures in the chamber as the gun is going off.
The .40 is like shooting a +p .38 super with the high pressures inside the gun. Yeah the .40 moves faster than the .45 but the .45 needs less force to put a bigger hole into something.

My advice would be to:
a.) find a caliber you are acurate and percice with.
b.) look into the big bore revolvers .357mag and up
c.) learn to shoot auto hand guns with a 9mm
d.) buy a shotgun and load it strategicly for home defence.

You may also want to look into the Taurus 24/7 OSS comes in 9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP

I have a glock 23, I must say when I first got it I only did so cause I got a good deal. I was convinced that only 1911s were any good. After 10k or so rounds I have to say that after my target pistol and my revolver my 23 is my favorite handgun. For auto loaders I would say go either glock or high end 1911. The XDs are nice but they are essentially glock rip offs.
Nothing is going to beat the glock in terms of ease of operation, and ease of maintenance. The one and only negative I have found with the glock is that they do not like to shoot solid lead bullets, so if you are buying factory reloads make sure they are jacketed.

Also, I would get a .357 sig barrel and mags for the thing. Use the 40 for practicing because the ammo is so cheep, but use the 357 sig for home defense because that round hits ALOT harder.
:blah: .357 sig is like a super monster. cool to have but totally useless. :disgust1:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
:blah: .357 sig is like a super monster. cool to have but totally useless. :disgust1:
Not true at all, it has the power of a 357mag but I can put as many rounds down range fast as with a 40.

As far as shotguns of home defense, YOU CAN MISS, the spread on a 12 gauge even with a cylinder choke is next to nothing at 10-15 feet.

If you do use a shotgun I would try using number 6 shot instead of buck. Number 6 will get 2 or 3 inches into some one (thats all you need) and wont go through to many walls

Not true at all, it has the power of a 357mag but I can put as many rounds down range fast as with a 40.

As far as shotguns of home defense, YOU CAN MISS, the spread on a 12 gauge even with a cylinder choke is next to nothing at 10-15 feet.

If you do use a shotgun I would try using number 6 shot instead of buck. Number 6 will get 2 or 3 inches into some one (thats all you need) and wont go through to many walls

The .357 Sig is a necked down .40 S&W case loaded with .357 diameter bullets to be shot out of semi autos chambered for it. They are not cheap in facory rounds, and I would not recommend this caliber if you do NOT reload your own ammo. From a short barrel of most semi autos, median velocity is slightly above 1200 fps. .357 Mags shot from a 6" revolver averages over 1375fps. Out of a 4" barreled revolver , about 1300 fps. Fired out of a 7 1/2 to 8 " barrel, the .357 exceeds 1400 fps easily.
Hardly similar...

The .357 SIG has some advantages and disadvantages. It is a very 'hot' round and will wear out guns faster than say a .45acp.
It has extreme penetration properties. This is both a good and bad thing. For a home defense round, it's pretty dangerous as it will go through many walls. As a tactical police weapon where it is expected that an intended target may be in a vehicle or wearting body armor, it does it's job well.

If you are considering it, remember how expensive the ammo is....
So for personal defence why not use a slower larger bore pistol like a .45 that is more asccurate because of the much lower amounts of pressures? One Big hole is better than some fast moving scared misses. Id rather shoot one or two shots at the most than empty a clip at someone. Just saying a Snappy .357 sig is probobly not the best gun for some one that cant afford to practice with rounds that are $.75 or more a shot.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Hardly similar...

So for personal defence why not use a slower larger bore pistol like a .45 that is more asccurate because of the much lower amounts of pressures? One Big hole is better than some fast moving scared misses. Id rather shoot one or two shots at the most than empty a clip at someone. Just saying a Snappy .357 sig is probobly not the best gun for some one that cant afford to practice with rounds that are $.75 or more a shot.
The whole point of having the .357 sig is owning a 40 with a sig barrel. You can practice with 40 and use the .357 sig for defense. It takes all of a minute to change the barrel in my glock. As well a lot of the new ammo for defense is designed to not go through walls.

As far as the recoil, the 357 isn't bad. I can double tap in the A zone on an ipsic target from 25 yard no problem. If you are good shooter and know how to manage recoil it isn't going to be an issue until you get into the huge revolver rounds

The whole point of having the .357 sig is owning a 40 with a sig barrel. You can practice with 40 and use the .357 sig for defense. It takes all of a minute to change the barrel in my glock. As well a lot of the new ammo for defense is designed to not go through walls.

As far as the recoil, the 357 isn't bad. I can double tap in the A zone on an ipsic target from 25 yard no problem. If you are good shooter and know how to manage recoil it isn't going to be an issue until you get into the huge revolver rounds
You mised the point. Why practice with something your not going to use i.e. .40 and carry with a .357sig? Pluss even the .40 is going to make a slightly bigger hole.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You mised the point. Why practice with something your not going to use i.e. .40 and carry with a .357sig? Pluss even the .40 is going to make a slightly bigger hole.
It's rounds down range, trough the same gun. All you are doing is changing out the barrel. Sure the recoil is going to be different, but so is the recoil on your practice 45 ammo to your defense loads.