Quantcast

Gun owners - Your experience with Glock and Springfield

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Back to topic--there's no way an XD compares to a Glock in quality. I also think grip safeties are really dumb and find the XD's very un-ergonomic. Glocks, if you shoot them well or are just learning to shoot anyhow, are the best choice in a handgun. (Again, me, I like SIG.)

But a shotgun is even cheaper, easier to use, and probably more effective for what you're talking about. If you're worried about the patterning or penetration of the shotgun, you shouldn't be shooting from that angle with ANY gun in a home-defense situation. Rule 4 of firearms--be aware of your target, backstop, and beyond. If you launch it, you own it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Have watched this one from the sidelines...my take.
I am a AF Cop, was a civilian cop for 4 years between hitches. I am pretty well trained in many forms of armed and unarmed self defense. Plus, I used to play hockey...AND I watch alot of Walker, Texas Ranger. You know how deadly that is!
But, as I stated in another thread, home defense is why I have dogs. And guns. And a cel phone next to my bed. Anything weird happens, I let the dogs out, have the wife grab the phine while I grab the shotgun. I would step out into the hallway, assume the Weaver stance (Thats for some of you old timers...) light up the hallway with a Sure Fire, and rack a round of birdshot into the 12 ga. While I do this, Momma calls 911, and I let whoever is downrange from me know that they can take anything they want, but if they come the hall and threaten me or my family, they will regret it.

9mm or .45, or most any pistol for that matter, WAY too much velocity for home defense...but I love my 1911 and my Hi Power.

You baseball bat guys, you can be just as easily beat down with your own Louisville Slugger...

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
(Again, me, I like SIG.)
Yeah, you would. :biggrin:

I'll second the notion that a good 18" barreled, 12ga shotgun with a light, loaded with #4 or #6 shot is a better weapon than a pistol for "bumps in the night"...

The primary virtue of a pistol is that you wear it and have it with you at all times.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, take an NRA Basic class. They will have guns there that you can shoot. They will know your local laws regarding self defense. They will teach you shooting basics.

After you buy your pistol/shotgun/phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range, seek out a combat shooting school for some professional training.

Introduce your kid to guns. My father did when I was 5 or 6. I always knew that guns weren't taboo. If I wanted to handle one of his, all I had to do was ask so there was no need to sneak around. By the time I had friends coming over while my parents were away, guns were no big deal so I had no reason to show them off...

Yeah, alot of people are shot with their own guns. Alot of people are shot with other people's guns, too. At the ATM. Going to their car after work. Etc. You live in a nice neighborhood? So do I. You really think a crackhead is going to rob someone in his Section 8 apartment complex? He knows the money is in the "nice" neighborhoods...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, a lot of weird advice going on here. The thing that scares me the most is that you all are talking about trigger pull weight's and switching out connectors to bring down trigger weight.

O.K. the thing you consider first is, if you do encounter an intruder you want the verify the threat first(know your target and whats behind it). A gun with a supper light trigger or really short trigger pull is dangerous in that if the intruder in a pitch dark house is one of you love ones, the last thing you want to do is shoot them. A heavy trigger gives you the safety of not shooting a loved one buy the increased pressure it take to touch off the round.
Speaking of "weird advice," I find your implication that you should have your finger on the trigger before you've ID'd a target to be not only weird, but irresponsibly dangerous.

Heavy trigger pulls don't save the lives of your loved ones from you shooting them. Proper weapons handling and target identification do. Period. Nor does heavy trigger pressure mean a thing if you've made the (bad) decision to shoot at an unknown target, except perhaps making you more likely to miss if you're a bad shot.

That said, I'm not one for modifying any factory gun beyond replacing grip panels unless it's a target shooter, not a fighting tool.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
When I lived in the ghetto by myself with no alarm, I kept a 20ga Remington youth model (21" barrel) loaded with #3 buck. Light, little recoil and unlikely that I would kill the neighbors. Loud enough in an enclosed space and while not particularly lethal, going to put enough of a hurt at close range to have someone rethink their priorities.

Now the main home defense is a good alarm system and a nice neighborhood. The alarm goes off my first move is to get Willow, Emma gets the phone and we go to the bathroom. If there is time the shotgun is on the top shelf in the closet. And in honor of Stinky, my old fairbairn is on top of the medicine cabinet.

Speaking of "weird advice," I find your implication that you should have your finger on the trigger before you've ID'd a target to be not only weird, but irresponsibly dangerous.

Heavy trigger pulls don't save the lives of your loved ones from you shooting them. Proper weapons handling and target identification do. Period. Nor does heavy trigger pressure mean a thing if you've made the (bad) decision to shoot at an unknown target, except perhaps making you more likely to miss if you're a bad shot.

That said, I'm not one for modifying any factory gun beyond replacing grip panels unless it's a target shooter, not a fighting tool.
Wow I think we found the only human not effected by stress in stressful situations. So fast indeed that he forgot to read the first sentence of the second paragraph. So when I order a gun from glock with a NY trigger this is not considered factory? What ever gunfighter.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Wow I think we found the only human not effected by stress in stressful situations. So fast indeed that he forgot to read the first sentence of the second paragraph. So when I order a gun from glock with a NY trigger this is not considered factory? What ever gunfighter.
We're all affected by stress. A heavier connector is not going to keep you from killing your family; keeping your finger off the the trigger until you've identified the threat and put your sights on target will.

What ever wannabe...

From my original post: "O.K. the thing you consider first is, if you do encounter an intruder you want the verify the threat first(know your target and whats behind it)."

Who said i was an expert. what make you one? Because your LE? Please. Civilian training is just as edvanced as any that is taught to LE's. Learn to turn it off punchy life is too short.

Get over your self low life..ahm..I mean low light.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
From my original post: "O.K. the thing you consider first is, if you do encounter an intruder you want the verify the threat first(know your target and whats behind it)."
That is true. The problem with your post comes from: "A gun with a supper light trigger or really short trigger pull is dangerous in that if the intruder in a pitch dark house is one of you love ones, the last thing you want to do is shoot them. A heavy trigger gives you the safety of not shooting a loved one buy the increased pressure it take to touch off the round."

See my post above for why this safety measure is academic, at best.

Who said i was an expert.
You did.

what make you one?
About 3000 hours of training coupled with 10 years of experience in carrying a gun for a living.

Because your LE?
I am not.

Civilian training is just as edvanced as any that is taught to LE's.
I agree. In fact, I think most training in the private sector is far better that what most LE academies teach.

Get over your self low life..ahm..I mean low light.
C'mon, you can do better than that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, TK, when you set yourself up by criticizing the advice of others ("lot of weird advice here"), your own had best stand up under scrutiny.

And, well, it doesn't.

(PS--the modification comment was actually agreeing with you--I generally don't think people should be *lightening* their triggers unless they're on target guns. That said, thinking a NY trigger is going to somehow compensate for improper weapon handling is likewise silly. Factory triggers are generally set that way for a reason.)

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
TK, you caught me in a bad mood earlier and I was harsher than I should have been. For that I apologize. I'm going to leave up my earlier comment to demonstrate what an ass I was being.

My point still stands. Keep your finger off the trigger to avoid killing things.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
See my post above for why this safety measure is academic, at best.

You did.

About 3000 hours of training coupled with 10 years of experience in carrying a gun for a living.

I am not.

I agree. In fact, I think most training in the private sector is far better that what most LE academies teach.

C'mon, you can do better than that.
lol....lowlight, you're avatar is probably the best answer to this argument.. "this IS my safety, sir" :rofl:

TK, you're finger should NEVER be on the trigger until you are actually firing the weapon, a "custom" trigger in a gunfight is about as useful as a sundial at night.