Quantcast

gun review sites

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i'm considering taking the plunge into shooting. i shot as a kid with my dad and a few of my buddies are into it. pretty much going to be target with handguns. i was wondering if any of you know of some sites that give reviews on handguns. looking for basic info like pricing, ease of cleaning, maybe comparing them to similar caliber models etc.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Glock 9mm. Higher quality, easy to clean, used by law enforcement everywhere.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
bump. im in the market for a gun soon and looking to get as much info as possible.
ive found a few through teh google but im just curious what others use

gonefirefightin

free wieners
calibers arent the major concern, since all of the ammo is fairly close to cost nowadays and some 9mm rounds are shooting betterthan 45 acp it really doesnt matter.

here is what matters when looking for a handgun. consider it like buying shoes. bottom line is it has to fit you and your spouse. some of brands that I would recommend are Springfield, glock, beretta, taurus, kimber, ruger, keltech. basically pick them all up, handle them and molest them, dont even think about takedown, the action, safetys....dont even think of it as a concern, find the one that fits you like a glove. once that is figured out then choose your caliber.

now that you have your firearm you can learn the takedown and cleaning. most handguns are all fairly simple in this aspect so it shouldnt be a worry.

and dont feel like you shouldnt be influenced on just a semi auto, pick up the revolvers as well. wheel guns are just as fun to shoot as a semi auto and they all have thier pros and cons

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thanks. those are all great things to consider.
i know i have to pick them all up..ive realized how much they all differ from each other (der) after numerous visits to the local Cabelas. i was curious on some different sites to see some reviews once i narrow my selection down.
guncritic.com and gundirectory.com are two that i found really

tearing down the gun is something im anxious to do as well since i love reverse engineering things. my fiance's father has about 150 guns and has several models each of the ones you listed so he'll be helping me with the tear down/cleanings of the guns at first.

a ruger 10/22 is the first gun i will be getting but i will probably get a handgun at the same time or soon after.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
10/22 is a great first timer. you wont be disappointed. for a first time handgunner I like to recommend a revolver. you will learn more accuracy with a wheel gun than you ever will with a semi auto. two different trigger styles in one gun and easy to understand, load and clean.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
3rd the 10/22

Look at a .22 pistol too, if you're just punching holes in paper, you will end up with more guns later, and $ for $ nothing beats a .22. You can shoot all day for cheep, they are fun, and you can learn to shoot without having to learn to deal with recoil at the same time. Look into a browning buckmark or a ruger mark 3

As for wheel guns go, you can't go wrong with a 686, they also make a 7 shot version of it. The thing is a strait up work horse.

If you like to reverse engineer things then a poly handgun will bore you. Buy a nice 1911 and reverse engineer that. Then thank the lord above for John Moses Browning. The 1911 is 100 years old this year too(well not exactly. It was designed in 1909 I think).